What's new

DW (Japspeed) Turbo Elbow

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok guys - just been swearing a bit tonight cos over the past few weeks the exhaust mani area has been blowing like Paris Hilton in a dodgy hotel lol... I was convinced the head/mani gasket was gone as I could see carbon deposits around the third and fourth port etc.

However, just spent 2.5 hours tonight with a mate replacing this mani gasket costing £63 from Ni$$an and guess what...?? it's still blowing like a bitch!!! :annoyed:

So with more investigation using a vacuum tube with one end in one ear and the other listening around the mani to turbo area, it's gotta be the mani/turbo gasket that's gone. Will prob order mine from DW tomo :nod: Just a couple of questions:

1. Do I need these so called 'locking tabs' for the mani/turbo gasket since I've never seen these so don't know whether they are essential replacement items?

2. Thinking about replacing the OEM turbo elbow for the DW (Japspeed) turbo elbow - does anyone have any experience with fitting these? I'm paranoid since the latest thread on the THS/Apex ones causing problems when attempting to replace the stock elbow etc.

I've already got the Japspeed downpipe plus decat so will this make fitting easier... hopefully??

Cheers,

James :thumbs:

Reaction score
As previously discussed. The apex elbows are made of chocolate and the fit is horrific, dont go near!

I bought all the locking tabs etc but when the turbo gasket blew from the dump valve not being recirc'd and getting too hot etc it lost one of the studs even with the locking tab and it went walkies, I now only run one locking tab because I didn't have another to hand and had no problems with it coming loose at all.

The replacement elbow I ordered from Apex was specifically for the S15 according to whoever was on the end of the phone and I sh*t you not, what a piece of crap!!! when mated to a standard manifold (turbo flange higher than a stainless) the lambda sensor touches the oil breather pipe and the downpipe flange side of the elbow is way too high to bolt your downpipe onto without causing major issues with chassis/gearbox mount clearance.

I don't know what the japspeed ones are like but I'm hoping they're better quality. The flange didn't even match up properly on the exhaust side of the turbo, never again will I buy their sh*t!!

If you're doing the turbo gasket it may be worth ordering a few spare studs because they can sometimes snap reasonably easily... I'd also suggest putting something on the studs/nuts to stop them coming loose as a precaution and obviously tighten them gradually in an equal manner, ie tighten opposite corners to ensure its seated properly.

OT but how is your gizzmo doing on closed loop now? you're running a recirc yeah?

Ok guys - just been swearing a bit tonight cos over the past few weeks the exhaust mani area has been blowing like Paris Hilton in a dodgy hotel lol... I was convinced the head/mani gasket was gone as I could see carbon deposits around the third and fourth port etc.

However, just spent 2.5 hours tonight with a mate replacing this mani gasket costing £63 from Ni$$an and guess what...?? it's still blowing like a bitch!!! :annoyed:

So with more investigation using a vacuum tube with one end in one ear and the other listening around the mani to turbo area, it's gotta be the mani/turbo gasket that's gone. Will prob order mine from DW tomo :nod: Just a couple of questions:

1. Do I need these so called 'locking tabs' for the mani/turbo gasket since I've never seen these so don't know whether they are essential replacement items?

2. Thinking about replacing the OEM turbo elbow for the DW (Japspeed) turbo elbow - does anyone have any experience with fitting these? I'm paranoid since the latest thread on the THS/Apex ones causing problems when attempting to replace the stock elbow etc.

I've already got the Japspeed downpipe plus decat so will this make fitting easier... hopefully??

Cheers,

James :thumbs:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah been keeping tabs with your latest posts and pics on the Apex elbow... looks like a nightmare!!! :down:

So the way you describe, the only way the Apex item will fit properly is if you have an aftermarket SS mani which lowers the point at which the turbo to mani flanges fit thus lowering where the elbow to downpipe fits as well but hey, it should be OEM mani fitment before aftermarket IMO!! :wack:

Gizzmo is currently set to about 58 on the duty cycle and around the same for the gain and it's seeing 0.68 bar... not sure if all the leaking gasket problems is making it underpowered bigtime?? :confused:

But I won't worry about this until I get the gasket sorted next week and also may have to wait until FMIC is fitted before I go all out on the boost controller lol...

Reaction score
Lol you haven't seen the latest pics, I've not had a chance to upload them but I'll get round to it shortly. Personally I think apex sent me the wrong elbow because I honestly cant beleive the fit and build could be that god damn shocking! RE: the whole manifold thing, I have an aftermarket downpipe (blitz if I recall correctly) so I suppose that could influence the whole clearance issue too but hmmm....

In the new year I'm hoping to essentially swap the elbow for a greddy one and swap the downpipe for one with a flexi pipe to give a bit of movement for safety incase it ever catches on anything or fit a moonface pro one piece elbow and downpipe because they're good for clearance and have elongated gearbox exhaust hanger plates...

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/MoonFace-MF-R-Exhaust-Chamber-Pro-Front-Pipe-Silvia-Skyline-60187

Nice bit of kit but not cheap

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yes Ray's got that Moonface elbow/downpipe... was really tempted meself till I saw the price :(

Oh well - at least I got me PFC which is waiting to be fitted once all the exhaust + cooling mods are done!! :cool:

Reaction score
They're like £380 + shipping but to be fair... you're talking close to that price for a decent quality greddy/HKS/Blitz elbow and downpipe combined so I didn't think it was too bad and the quality looks spot on, plus the added benefit of fewer gaskets and more ground clearance, inevitably you'll end up buying both an elbow and downpipe at some point or another so may aswell wait and save the extra funds then kill two birds with one stone because it has added benefits...

From my experience, the weak link to silvias lies in the exhaust setup. My plan subject to work picking up a little in the coming months would be to fit something like this and ceramic coat it along with my h-dev manifold while its off the car and purchase a decent turbo brace.

For anyone tuning a standard S15 I think the ultimate setup on the exhaust side in realistic terms of a quality/affordability compromise is a H-dev manifold + moonface downpipe both ceramic coated, a new gasket set, braided coolant and oil lines with a decent turbo brace will be hitting around about £1000 to £1100 but well worth it because if you're going to do it, do it properly! It'd have great ground clearance, fantastic flow, good quality and keep temps down which is very important. Although the H-dev manifold would be reasonably budget I think with the bracing and ceramic coating you should be able to avoid cracking so no need to go OTT spending silly amounts on a dearer mani.

Reaction score
just fiitted my new japspeed elbow, twin downpipe and decat everything fitted spot first time build quality is very good all gaskets nuts and bolts spot on good ground clearance with the downpipe plus looks great the twin pipe. If u ar looking for a turbo elbow look no further, japspeed for price and fitment.

V

vti_coupw

oohhhhh shiny parts. sorry for the hijack but how much was all that? was it straight from japspeed? is there a benefit for the twin pipe down pipe?

Reaction score
325euro for the lot 150 for downpipe 85 decat and 95 elbow got them from drive-n-style in roscommon. not sure if there is much difference in the downpipe but u would think bigger the better lovely sound from it too well worth the money. next day delievery on the parts.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I source all my Japspeed stuff from Driftworks and got the elbow now ready to fit this Fri (need to take time off work and pull out the whole mani + tubby etc)...

Cheers for the recommendation... I've for the Japspeed downpipe as well but the single pipe with flexi version ;)

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
When I took my turbo off I replaced all the gaskets and put two new locking plates on.

Possibly can get away without them but do you really want to have to take the tubby off again?

Also I replaced all the brass nuts for new ones and then used the old ones over the top to double lock it all.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Theres a guy on ebay the sells genuine nissan locking tabs with better quality self locking nuts too, just to make sure the little f*****s don't come undone!! I've used them before, very good sellers.

Linky