What's new

Gearbox problem

R

ross.johnson

Now i'm guna ask where to get to adapter plate for the Nissan Skyline GTST gearbox? So i will need.... GTST Gearbox,- adapter plate,- the prop shaft,- clutch and flywheel. Anything else? :thumbs:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
if you are really interested in changing for a skyline rb box and keep the s15 clutch and fly setup (which does save a good few pennys) then there is an australian company called powertune that make a kit but it works out to about £800.00. thier kit is billet aluminium and is a work of art, but requires the fitment of non standard flywheel bolts and a spacer for the back of the flywheel. as much as this has been tested it understandably still freaks people out spacing the flywheel off the crank but there arent all that many solutions that actually arent a bodge - the thin adapter plates available do the job but are like 6mm thick and leave the gearstick poking into the console - even the mazworx kit does the same......

heres the powertune kit http://www.powertune.com.au/sr20drivetrain.html

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Right I know Tilly is recommending the RB box from Skyline (which is deffo tempting choice) but I looked into this recently and there's more to it... so please read before you start buying bits for it!!

1. Yes you can buy an adaptor plate from the likes of Polo from DW. I can't comment on quality etc but the last time I checked it's more than £200 IIRC.

2. You HAVE to ghetto your transmission tunnel by bashing it out to make room to fit an RB box in an S15. No other way around this!!

3. The gearbox cross-member for S15 does not match up to an RB box so again, you'll have to ghetto this or get someone to make a new cross-member. I wouldn't like to drive let alone drift without this fitted properly.

4. Another major ball-ache is when you've got the whole RB box fitted, with the somewhat thin adaptor plate you can buy, the RB gearstick will be way too much forwards for the S15 - it'll basically come out where the centre console is!! :wack: So you need to get adaptor to make the gearstick go further back or do summat 100% ghetto and cut away the centre console lol :)

5. _Wing_ who is a member on this forum is selling a decent conversion kit for Z32 box. I'd seriously consider this as a decent alternative because you don't have to bash the transmission tunnel to make this box fit. Also, you shouldn't have to mess with where the gearstick comes out into the cabin as the adaptor plate he sells is much thicker than the RB ones which pushes the box back further etc. You'll get proper fitting cross-member with this conversion kit as well. I's seriously PM _Wing_ if you're interested although not sure if Z32 box is that much stronger than the S15 box?

James

R

ross.johnson

Ok cool thanks, Is there any S15 uprated box's? I meen can i buy an S15 box thats already uprated and stronger? :thumbs:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I think you can only buy a racing style dog box which the likes of HKS will manufacture and sell but these are ££££ - literally high ended 4 figures easy!!! :wack:

The best thing you can do as an alternative for stronger transmission is to go down the uprated gearset route... summat like the OS Giken 4 gear set (you need to get S14 box housing) so you retain 5th as stock IIRC. But even though this is still helical gears and not dog type, because the teeths are much stronger and it's upgrade it'll still cost around £2000+ when I last spoke to Apex Performance about this.

Proper PPG dog gearset is even more £3000+ I think. It's not an easy mod but a very good one. TBH don't think anyone needs to do this unless they are drifting regularly and running 350+ bhp!!

Last edited:
R

ross.johnson

Ok well thanks for the info :thumbs: oh and what size is your Sig?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, there are uprated 6-speed boxes available for the SR20 on RHD Japan. Nismo ones are around 2.5k and theres another one that is supposed to be stronger still. It's rated to 420PS, costs just over £3k but I cant remember what its called off the top of my head. :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, there are uprated 6-speed boxes available for the SR20 on RHD Japan. Nismo ones are around 2.5k and theres another one that is supposed to be stronger still. It's rated to 420PS, costs just over £3k but I cant remember what its called off the top of my head. :)
i wouldnt bother with the nismo, from what i remember its only rated to 330 Ib/ft......standard box holds more than that so it would probably break just the same.

Reaction score
Website
www.xsh-tuning.nl
I have a NISMO box on it, and it broke now to yes:no:

I wanted to fit next winter a 6cil engine, so meybe it's going to be a little bit earlyer now if my box is really broke :cool:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
i wouldnt bother with the nismo, from what i remember its only rated to 330 Ib/ft......standard box holds more than that so it would probably break just the same.
Yeah, 330 lb/ft is nothing. The gear ratios are apparently different in the Nismo box too. From the way its worded on RHD Japan, the shorter ratios mean theres less stress on the the gearing so can handle slightly more torque. Could be wrong though.

The HPI box is claimed to be a reworked 6 speed nismo box, so has the shorter ratios and..
Confirmed Torque Compatibility: 50kgfm / 490.3Nm / 362 lb/ft
Confirmed HP Compatibility: 430ps / 316kw / 424bhp

The downside.. it's £3410 delivered and still not that much stronger. :(

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
again mate 362 ib/ft is so called 'stage three' power......not going to last forever again. either that or they underrate them on purpose but thats not good for sales......

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah 362 ft lb rating seems a joke and surely after being 'educated' by Steve about tuning and performance, it's the torque figures that are most important?! These jokers are trying to sell gearboxes with high BHP rating but much lower TORQUE capability and from what I can gather, it's torque that will put the stress on the box just as much if not more than power itself right??

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
yep - torque is the real power !! torque is what interests me most - accelleration. bhp is the licence loser lol.

R

ross.johnson

All go and no show at the moment then!! I was looking at buying a new box. What box would you sugest? Standard box or the Nismo or anything else? :thumbs:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
If you're not planning on going past 350 bhp + similar torque and not planning on regular drifting then just get the standard 6 speed box IMO :)

R

ross.johnson

Ok well i'm looking at 350 BHP+ and simular Torque. :thumbs:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've been looking on this website and have enquired about the gearsets they sell.

http://www.par-engineering.com/sect...aspx?typeId=gearsets&manId=nissan&sectionId=7

The gearsets are rated by Par Engineering to 650bhp and fit the standard gearbox housing and utilise OEM bearings. Looks like a good option but the cost is around £2500 at todays exchange rate. They do standard helical cut gears and straight cut too. Dog engagement is available too at around £4000. The gearset is a lot of money but it is only the same cost as a Nismo box, which from what I've read lasts roughly the same amount of time as the OEM box..

:)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Nice find Craig - I think the Nismo upgrade is a total waste of money... the main reason for anyone to upgrade the box is that is has to be much stronger and cope with higher torque and added bonuses would be less loss via the gearbox due to better transfer of power and favourable gear ratios etc :)

When I do finally have money like that floating around I'd love to upgrade and not worry about the gears failing after a hard days drifting etc...

Dog engagement = hardcore track car lol :D

Reaction score
Yeah 362 ft lb rating seems a joke and surely after being 'educated' by Steve about tuning and performance, it's the torque figures that are most important?! These jokers are trying to sell gearboxes with high BHP rating but much lower TORQUE capability and from what I can gather, it's torque that will put the stress on the box just as much if not more than power itself right??
Torque= is how hard the engine can twist something mate ie flywheel
Hp= Speed basically

torque is what wrecks diffs, props, gearboxes, clutches etc. not power