What's new

problems @ WOT

I

ichigo

ok, had my car for about 5months now and it hardly gets driven hard, 3/4 throttle max when overtaking otherwise 1/4 throttle most of the time.

anyways, my mate asked if he could take it for a spin, i said ok.

off we go, i was in the passenger seat and god does it feel different, feels like i get pushed back into the seat more than when im driving.

he was just taking it easy till we got to the motorway, once we hit the motorway on the ramp, he slams the gas to the floor in 3rd from about 60kms, felt like a really flat, didnt pull at all, like it was struggling.

i noticed this, told him to pull over so i can drive it. so we switched drivers, i took off in 1st changed to 2nd than punched it from about 2k, again felt flat.
had a look at the boost gauge, it was on 0.6bar ish like its suppose to.

this happens in all gear, doesnt matter what rpm. drives great on partial throttle, but as soon as you step on it, feels like it just dies.

car is stock as a rock.

just wondering if anybody had a similar problem and if they fixed it, share their experience.

thanks.

Reaction score
My car has occasional off moments, I've put it down to the intercooler getting hot. However it is not a big power drop, just enough to be noticable.

D

dss15

pretty common phenomenon. It's actually got more to do with your perception. The "force" you feel as you hit boost wears out once your car stops accelerating at an exponential rate (boost curve). When you're chugging around town you feel it all the time. Once you wack your 'max boost' in this case .6 bar, it just feels like your standard 6 cylinder wagon chortling along again, as it's accelerating in a linear fashion again. Especially on a highway, it can feel slow...

I've pushed mine down a narrow one lane road, and thought it was a rocket on wheels, and taken off from a stand still on a high way with wheelspins and the whole lot - and it felt slow and sluggish. No mechanical difference of course!

Also, with the s15's, I have noticed that just 1 extra passenger makes a big difference! Power to weight ratio.

This is one option. Another is that there's a mechanical cause but I don't think so.

Food for thought anyway. :)

I

ichigo

thats weird, 3/4 throttle feels faster than full. lol

anyways gonna install a 3inch turboback exhaust this weekend, see if it makes a difference.

I

ichigo

had compression test done.

test came back 1st 110 2nd 100 3rd 110 4th 100

test wasnt done on WOT

timing chain was replaced not long ago.

Last edited:
I

ichigo

would cam timing being off a tooth or two cause such a low compression

engine doesnt blow any smoke and engine doesnt seem to be drinking oil.