What's new

What clutches are you using??

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Just trying to build up an idea of what clutches and flywheel combinations will work for the S15.

After calling round a few places I still cant figure out if my S14 ACT organic clutch and S14 ACT prolite fly will fit :cry:

I spoke to the very helpful APT boys and they are uncertain, but seem to think not, and recommended an exedy hyper single as I believe a few people on this forum are running?

If anyone is running the ACT combination, or any other non standard combo, please post it up. Any help is much appreciated :)

Cheers, Craig

Reaction score
Check the part numbers on the ACT website. They do S15 applications too and I believe they're probably the same

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
s14-anything, be it ACT, EXEDY, or anything for the s14, it won't fit the 6 speed gearbox :(

Reaction score
Im using the Exedy Hyper single... Great clutch, takes a bit of getting used too though!

Its also a bt noisey in traffic

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, it's a right :censored: about the s14 clutch/fly equipment not fitting, especially as i only just found out after buying one. It reduces the amount of clutches availbale quite significantly too. So if anyone wants a ACT clutch and fly let me know! :wack:

I've been thinking about the Exedy single hyper but i dont want the extra noise that comes with it. I can put up with a bit of noise, but dont want to constantly hear it buzzing away. I think i'll go for the same one as InitialD-James did.. the Exedy Ultra Fibre Organic kit. From speaking to James and reading on the internet it seems a good option. As it used the standard dual mass fly too I hope it'll prevent any extra noise.

Driftworks rate it to 350bhp but I wont be going that far so it should be good for what I want. Does anyone have any recommendations where I can get one in a hurry?!? Driftworks price is £290 but havent got it in stock. Could do with one for the weekend really to fit it before my remap.

:thumbs:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
its such a shame youre not closer to me matey, i'd take you for a spin.....the hyper isnt a noisy clutch at all, it just seems to vibrate at certain revs on my car which now it seems has transmission troubles anyway which could be the root cause. as for the noisy in traffic - thats just the clicking noise it makes on and off engagement, it doesnt whir like a multi plate and is literally as quiet as stock at all other times. it will only judder if the driver is lazy and leaves it in gear/labours it - something i am guilty of myself on occasion lol

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Humm, if i went in your s15 Dean I'd want a new turbo too i think!! :D

The hyper singles are a lot of dollar too. Nengun have them in stock on special for £573 plus delivery, but as I won't be using it to anywhere near its full potential like you guys do, I think I'll go with the much cheaper Exedy Ultra Fibre Organic.

:thumbs:

Reaction score
Yeah Dean is right, I didnt mean the clutch was noisy whilst driving.. you couldnt tell the difference between it and a standard clutch. its only when drive is engaged!

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The hyper single soes sound like the nuts but it'd be overkill for what I want.

Well, I've just been reliably informed by Bren an Apex that the S14 ACT clutch WILL fit with stock S15 dual mass flywheel, so it looks like I wont be needing the Exedy Ultra Fibre afterall, but will be keeping the stock fly! :rolleyes:

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
s14-anything, be it ACT, EXEDY, or anything for the s14, it won't fit the 6 speed gearbox :(
whoops i think i should be extra clear as i was talking about full clutch kits - the s14 flywheel is different to the s15 so anything that incorporates the s14 flywheel into their clutch "kit" will not fit the s15 :(

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cool, so you agree that a S14 clutch, pressure plate, and release bearing would fit a S15 fly - Wing?

:)

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
S14 clutch - you mean the s14 clutch disc? if so then yes

s14 pressure plate - it's been done before but I can't say ALL s14 pressure plates will fit all ALL s15 flywheels (aftermarket set ups are all different)

release bearing - s14 and s15 have different release bearings

:)

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
I just recently fitted a new clutch kit. Exedy Sports Metal Paddle Clutch kit

the bite is SAVAGE lol, im slowly getting the hang of it, however on 1st gear pull aways the car shacks about a little bit lol. As for drifting though.. hot damm, its perfect!!!!

Clutch kicks are solid, no slip and instant! Best clutch iv ever owned! And this is my hmmm 4th one to the s15 now :D haha

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
lol, mint you nutter! I suppose its what you need for drifting though! :D

Did you fit it yourself? I'm going to be removing by box this afternoon. Been reading all the threads on it on SXOC but any hints or tips would be appreciated :D

Reaction score
I've just finished one of those off MINT. Lasted ok (20K or so) but I didn't like the shudder and I don't think it treated my gearbox very nicely - although didn't outlast it!!

I've just gone for an ACT organic with high clamp load. Wanted a carbon but was too unsure about them wearing out when accidentally slipped too much from cold.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Soz mate - haven't been on here a few days... yeah as said in our texts I'm getting on really well with the Exedy single plate organic.

I'm always kicking the backend out and it seems to cope pretty well :)

I think Pip @ WGT explained that paddles also help with cooling as there's more 'air' spinning within the clutch unit but I need a clutch that doesn't make me look like a granny when I pop to the shops or even worse, stuck in traffic in central London when visiting mates lol?! :wack:

All this carbon and triple-plate applications are way too hardcore for my needs...

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
if you do go for anthing other than a stock fit clutch craig, be prepared to slightly modify your gearbox tunnel with a rubber mallet as the additional thickness of the cover plate etc on big singles and multi plates make the gearbox a bit more tight to get on and off. i didnt have to worry as mine was fitted with the engine and box out of the car and put back as one.