What's new

Knock Knock Knock! AH!

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Ok This started on saturday.

Suspension wise im running Driftworks Coilovers (Not that low bit stiff all round)
APEX Rear Tie Bar

Thats it.

Now, i kept hearing a 'knock' noise on the rear pass side of the car. Was the kinda noise of a wheel hitting the arch. Its not tho as its not anywhere near low enough or soft enough to allow that much play.

This only started after i had the car up on stands for the last 4 days or so.
The whole exhaust system was off. The wheels were off, I then raised the car on the rear about an inch and a half and stiffen'd up around 2 clicks on the back.

So.. this noise, I drove to dundee yesterday and when there i jacked up the car and checked the coilover. The spring was loose (a few mm of play) So tightened up all the collars as they came loose. Thinking that would be the problem.. moved away and its still knocking. Any speeds if you hit a pot hole or bump etc. Mostly on right hand turns..

So.. had another look half way home. The rear ARB bushing is a bit fooked tbh.. thinking it could be this. All the bushing for the exhaust were off and re-fitted.. the system had some play.

So.. i softed the coilovers off back around 5-6 clicks and still the noise happened. When i got to Aberdeen it seemed it was getting louder but not sure. I just went out now to have a further look before i order up some new ARB's etc and the exhaust had ALOT of play, standing at the back of the car.. the backbox could move to the left a good few inch's and it would hit off something. However to the right it only took about half an inch and it was knocking off the rear ARB. So iv added additional cable tie's and the system is now SOLID.

So.. I'll drive it to work in an hour and see if the noise has now gone.. If not, I'll order a new ARB or some bushing. Anyone else got any ideas on what it could be? Bearing in mind it only just started and only work being done back there was raising the car and taking the exhaust off.

Also.. do the uk s14's have the same ARB? Same bushing for it? Is it an over the counter part? If so.. does anyone know a part number? Should i just get a new ARB anyway?

Thanks.

S

StarletRick

if youre going to get new bushes, you may aswell get poly ones as they tighten the arbs up nicely.

if youve got the money to throw at it get the adjustable whiteline arbs. there was a set for sale on dw a few days ago..

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Your Exhaust should move if its fitted correctly, unless you have a flexi section?

The whole systme is bolted together and connected to the manifold and Engine tightly, so there should be very little play at the tailpipe. I would check all your hangers are connected properly

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
What he said ^^^ There should be SOME movement. If the hangers are allowing that much movement, it'll fail the next MoT.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Ok no problems - Well at work now, the noise happened right away from moving from my house as i drove into a small pothole to see if it was fixed.. its not fixed lol.

So it cant be the exhaust. I dont think. So iv spoken to Bon and ordered up a whiteline rear ARB. Hopefully this will cure the issue. How hard are these to fit?

On going round a roundabout on the drive in turning to the right it sounded like.. "KNOCK.. KNOCK" so to me (with my very little know how tbh) i think it sounded like a bar hitting something else bar like.

I also checked my rear top mounts and there fine for info. Also.. one thing I was thinking.. it cant be the suspension as you can hear when the tools in the boot rattle around etc and on my daily drive.. it seems to clunk maybe 3 or 4 times? (25mile drive)

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Well last night after work I drove to my friends in town. We got the car up on jack ramps and had it airbourne.

We just cant see anything that would be causing this. The coilover locking collars are fine. Bushings dont seem worn. There was slight contact from the exhaust to the antiroll bar if you move the ex up. We fitted an anti roll bar buch onto the bar from an is200 and cable tied it on. Still the noise continues.

Its seriously feking loud. Iv gone through the boot and taken the lot out to make sure its nothing trivial.

:( Getting annoying now.

C

chris s14.5

iv the same noise since iv fitted hsd coilovers on the passenger side too iv changed the subframe bushes casue they were fooked anyway and clunking but noise still there was going to change the diff bushes my exhaust was hitting the arb too but sorted that

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Interesting chris.

@ Roots, No dude I didnt bother. I sprayed the mounts with WD40 and left it how it was, didnt even attempt to loosen the bolts.

Well.. After being at another mates tonight .. were all still non the wiser. All i know is, Its getting more frequent.

-The exhaust has no play
-Locking Collars are tight
-Top Mounts are tight
-Suspension is set on softer settings
-Wheel bearing is fine
-Wheel is on tight
-Hub Extension is on tight
-Jumping up and down on the rear of the car makes NO noise
-Anti Roll bar seems solid
-Subframe seems solid
-No movement in the coilover

On turning to the left. There seems to be no noise, On turning to the right its now a serious loud knock. Sometimes on certain bumps it sounds like "KNOCK..knock" as if its a bar of some sort.

It cant be the diff (from what weve concluded) since its not constant while driving. Only when hitting a bump (Even little ones) or going round a round about. The diff isnt wining.

Its now getting worse though as of tonight's drive home from work. The tiniest little bump/hole and it makes a god fully awful noise! Inside the car it is emitting from the rear pass arch direction. My friend confirmed tonight it must be something heavy to make such a noise and for it to almost "Judder" the floor plan of the car.. as you can actually feel the knock. Its bloody wild now.

From last sat when i heard the noise around 2/3 times.. to now it being almost constant.. although, some bumps.. you dont hear it? but the tools in the boot will rattle? It just does not make any sence!

Really stuck on this one.

Reaction score
Hook up some knock sensors and see where it's at .............. haha. I have the identical problem on more so my passenger side of my ER34, on bigger hole I get it on the driver rear side. Still have not solved it either, Nismo Coilovers though.

D

dss15

If it helps, my suspension makes clunking and crunching noises. I cannot.. find whats causing it. Bushes seem fine..

Pulling the lot apart and cleaning/putting back together, but you've already done that by the sounds.

Also, the knock knock, is it consistent? and does it go away after about 60KPH?
sounds like the wheel's hitting something? I've had this, a balance & align actually fixed it. Although to me, everything looked fine.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Turns out it was the Driftworks Rear coilover. Bon Bon sent me a new one today should here tomorrow morning. Then I'll send me old one away for inspection.

The noise is now constant and loud! Dampness wont do anything on that coil :(

Drift day on sat.. hope it turns up in time!

Reaction score
Country
Glad to hear you got it sorted mate. I know how any kind of Knocking noise can drive you crazy and make you constantly think somethings going to break!

Take it easy with that clutch on your gearbox ;)

Reaction score
Wow triple disc, why so, thought that a twin would be more than enough. Why are you upgrading to triple for, what turbo setup are you running or plan to?