What's new

little problem im having with the car..

B

barnes

my car idles at about 2 revs when cold.. thats fine.. when its warm it idles at just under 1... however when sitting still at lights etc.. it shudders every few seconds... there is no loss of power.. now i just noticed it has a decat and also i put octane booster in it... the car was sitting up for 8 months before i bought it so is it just in need of good run?

Reaction score
Did you put fresh fuel into it? It could be plugs,(octane booster will completely stuff them if they are not good) dirty AFM sensor,O2 sensor(lambada) might be shot,idle control valve might need a clean. Thats a start :thumbs:

B

barnes

cheers!!.. yeah fresh fuel in it... right im not good with mechanics... what or where is the idle control valve?

Reaction score
Is the BOV a recirculated or is it vented? If vented is the car tuned for the vented BOV? If not I suggest you get a recirculated fitting for the BOV to allow it to route the vented air to the intake pipe between the MAF and the turbo like a stock setup, this would allow proper idle on boost when shifting (getting the annoying pop/backfire) and for sudden stops or at the traffic lights where the idle would begin hunting and wanna stall.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Pull out the lamda (O2) sensor and have a look - would be one of the first places I'd check for crappy idling probs...

Otherwise as suggested, you wanna check out the AFM sensor and bits around the intake as well :)

B

barnes

right well i dont know if this is for sure the deffo answer but there is no gasket in the exchaust ... and keeps leeking.. so everytime i put putty around it the problem stops... hmmm???

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
throw a new gasket at it. That will tell you for sure.