What's new

Sub Frame Locking Collars

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Fitted some locking collars today! Very impressed with the cars feel now, has got rid of the sloppy feeling i have hated for a long time!!! :D

The questions are:

Would poly bushing the sub frame make it quieter? and do the poly bushes stiffen it up the same or more or less? I'm getting diff knock and whining like others, it's not unbearable though just wondered what the differences would be :) Would changing the diff oil quieten it at all? i plan to do this as soon as i figure out what size socket to use on the fill and drain plugs haha

Also now i have fitted them am i likely to need to get my alignment checked again? i have paid for quite a few different alignments and dont really wanna pay again haha

Ian

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
IIRC when I changed my diff oil a 1/2"drive ratchet fitted straight into the plug ;)

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Yep its a 1/2" drive straight onto the plugs.

The harder the bush you put in the more noise you're going to get, but the good side is that it'll firm up the rear end even more, sort of like going from no locking rings to locking rings - that sort of feeling, and save you're money there's no need for another alignment :)

Reaction score
Are you using Aluminium locking collars or PU ones aka "Pinapples" or PU inserts?
I would expect PU inserts to be the quietest option followed by PU bushes and then Aluminium locking collars - based on theory, not practice so someone step in if they have experience.
Rubber has more damping than PU which may help quieten the diff noise.
And as craig said; stiff = "better handling" = more noise.

Also you don't need full wheel alignment but I would check your rear toe. If the subframe doesn't go back on in 100% the same position you will get a thrust angle and the car may crab or move to the left/right under power.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
ACE! im away to do this soon as i need to sort it, how hard is it to do?? Did you do it yourself?

Also how much and where did oyu get them from?

Reaction score
ACE! im away to do this soon as i need to sort it, how hard is it to do?? Did you do it yourself?

Also how much and where did oyu get them from?
Hey mint,

I got the from driftworks for £50 next day delivered :thumbs:

And yeah i did it my self, took about an hour and a half, wasnt too hard once i figured out the best place to put the axle stands :D

There was a link to a guide on here somewhere, think it was a 240sx forum, not the best guide but gave you the idea of what to do :rotfl:

I would def recommend it for yourself especially when your doing some skidding or hitting that Scotish touge ;), the back goes where you want it to, no slopping around causing it to spin or surprise you :thumbs:

Ian

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Ideal Ian - Thanks so much for the info there :) Seen the ones your talking about and placing my order this afternoon. Should be fitted next week in time for my next drift day.

top Work :)