What's new

Hmm.. diff or box?.. or clutch.. OR leak.. OR!?..what!?

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Ok.. i dont know what up with the car tbh. I'll explain it the best I can do.

After the previous drift day i was at .. the car hasnt been feeling right since (As to be expected while drifting?)

The Symptoms.

1. Pulling away in 1st is sluggish.. feels like clutch is slipping HOWEVER revs dont really rise, but you do need to put the foot down a bit more to go or it'll judder.

2. Car is down on power IMO. Not so much top end but from the go ahead.

3. Reversing yesterday alot of whinning coming from the rear (Not done this before)

4. In traffic yesterday in first gear start/stop a whine from the rear.

5. On slowing down using the gears, or lifting off the throttle at high speeds in 6th the car tries to 'fish tail' sort to speak.

Think thats it.. :( The clutch that is fitted for info is a Cusco Copper plate with OEM s14 pressure plate + OEM (original) flywheel with OEM s14 Release bearing. Diff is OEM Helical and the Box is OEM 6 Speed. Iv not changed the oil in the box/diff since buying it. Clutch plate was fitted last year.

Done average hard driving, Daily driving and a good bit of skiddy + ALOT clutch kicking at the drift days.

Also I have noticed the hot pipe side of FMIC pipe (Rubber part) is starting to split as i noticed its resting on the metal of the car and cutting it.. Will be sorting this ASAP!

Any idea's lads?
Thanks

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
funny enough, about a month ago the turbo water hose split. Water temp got right up, car started to loose power, Pulled over and had ran outa water due to the pipe blowing a hole. Ended up getting Braded oil+water lines fitted along with the Elbow re-fitted as it wasnt attached correctly (i.e only held on with one bolt)

After that though - It ran sweet as a nut. First drift day it was used solid all day long, not a single problem, after this last day it still drove fine.. just starting to notice these little problems.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Mint - had the exact same problem as #1 for months... was always difficult to pull away in first otherwise it would nearly stall... hardly any bite even though it never slipped... until couple of weeks ago lol. I reckon the clutch is starting to wear out IMO.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
ok thanks dude - I'll look into it.

Yesterday I re-fitted the FMIC to find a few issue's needing address'd but got it all fixed and on full boost it pulls fine. So thats one problem done.

However.. Here was the Blitz DD Readings.

2nd - Wouldnt go past 0.63
3rd - Up to 0.64.. then to 0.63 then back to 0.65
4th - similar to 3rd but peak at 0.66.

But curious as its never done that before - Seems to be no leaks in the FMIC and all hose's are solid unlike before where some were hardly finger tight.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It might be worth changing your box and diff oil or at least checking the level if theres a lot of whineing coming from the rear. Have a look for metallic debris in the oil too if you change it.

Are you using mechanical or electronic boost control? What boost was it running before the problems?

Reaction score
As craig said, start with checking the diff oil level, you may have burst a oil seal? If its a loud whining then I reckon the diff could be fried/on its way out. There shouldnt be any problems with driving, bit like a turbo, it will work - until it goes! only side effect will be the whine.
As for the gearbox, you would feel it straight away if its on its way out. Are you having problems getting into gear? does the box feel spongey? If everything is tight then it could be something to do with your clutch, obvious Q but how much can your clutch cope with BHP-wise, and how much BHP do you have? hard use of a clutch at drift days is never a clutch's idea of a great day out, but if it cant cope with the torque then it wont last long at all.
finally, loss of power could be a boost leak somewhere?
Hope that helps a bit?!?!??? :)

V

vti_coupw

well you helped me moomin, i think its my diff thats the problem, hopefuly it wont pack up within a week :(

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
right guys update. I fixed my FMIC the other day - The hose's were sooooo loose, i have the power back, so that was a boost leak.

The gear's arnt hard to get into or feel spongy, i havnt really heard this whine since HOWEVER.. the clutch is gone.

This morning on the way to work the revs would rise then drop on full bore through the gears.. iv had a clutch go before so i know what it feels like :(

So.. now im on the market for a new one.

Thanks for al the help lads.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Have a look on SXOC as Apex may still have some left from their groupbuy. I've just got myself a organic clutch and light fly and saved a fair bit over the normal retail price.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Recently upgraded to a single plate Exedy organic... you can already feel a massive difference over stock :)

What I would advise Mint is that since yours is a daily driver, don't get tempted with the twin or triple plates cos they are a BITCH do drive and all you'll do is fry the clutch when you're trying to park the car or go out shopping with it lol... :no:

Unless you really want summat that'll cope with 400+ bhp there's no point IMO.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I've had two different twins and they're not so bad and I drive my s15 everywhere everyday, in fact one is so good I wouldn't use anything else :) Anyways this isn't a "what clutch for me" discussion so back on topic...

Good to hear the problems weren't something more serious than loose piping and a fried clutch (drifting, it's a given hehe) :)

V

vti_coupw

jaysus minty boi ya dont hang around long anyway bud, i think i hav my diff sorted aswell :D nismo 2way :D:D:D cant wait, no doubt the fecking clutch will be next