What's new

FMIC

S

S15R

hey guys, thinking of getting a FMIC kit soon :D

share experiences u had with fmic kit, like piping and cooling etc, which brand you think is the best?

I saw this one on nissansilvia.com, kinda interesting :p no battery plate drilling :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Mines an Apex Performance FMIC. Its their own kit, but sort of based on the HKS kit.

The cooler was fairly easy to fit, but the pipework was an arse. Apart from the battery tray hole and fixing the race battery, you also have to move the washer bottle 90 degrees and fix it in place.

Fantastic cooling though. :D

A word of caution about the non-battery-hole kits. They have longer pipes. The longer the pipes, the more the lag.

Interesting, I had a chargecooler kit fitted to my S14. Worked well. The actual chargecooler fitted on the same mounts as the WMIC, the pre-rad fitted were you'd put an FMIC and the water header tank went in front of the filter. I got it done to be a reasonable alternative to an FMIC (they used to be extortionately expensive in the UK). All the original pipework could be used. Apex reduced the price of their old kit so that it undercut the chargecooler and no-one bought any.

Apex's new kit only cost about ?400 including race battery, so I'd have been mad not to get one for the S15.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have a brand new XSpower front mount with piping waiting to be picked up (haven't got the time as it is located 75km from me).
Payed ?280 (650AUD) :cool:
It pays of having connections with importing guys :)

Will have to drill that hole in the battery tray though :(

M

Meddy

Ive got a Greddy kit. This is what the Apex one is based on isnt it Nicely? Thought the HKS unit has the inlet on the top of the core? Very easy to fit apart from me being a bit :ghey: when cutting my bumper to fit round it. Id stay clear of the kits which dont go through the battery tray as from what Ive seen they run much longer pipes and also seem to have many more pipe connections. The good thing with the Greddy kit is it even comes with power cable extensions so you can reach the battery easily without messing about.

Oh and you dont need to use a race battery, Varta (and Halfords for UK folks) do a small battery which I think is from the Micra which fits in with bags of room to spare. Its what Im using and has more oomph than the race units which can run down if not used daily.

As for results it makes a noticable difference, especially when driving the car hard on warm days when the wing mount can quickly turn into an interwarmer.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
S15R said:
Apex Performance = Apexi?
No. It's a bit confusing, isn't it :)
Apex performance is a UK based company dealing with parts for mainly the Nissan Silvia/200SX series.
Good pricing (for being Europe) and fast service. Seems to be popular with both the british and swedish Silvia/200SX owners.

They have nothing to do with Apexi/Apexera except selling their products :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I lied :D
I didn't get a XSpower intercooler. IT was another one called autobahn88.
Full aluminium piping and endtanks. unsure of the core material.
Same price as above. Altough the intercooler core is based on the bar and plate technology instead of the more popular tube and fin.
Bar and plate gives superior cooling but has less flow than tube and fin.
Most of the big brand name intercoolers are tube and fin.

M

Mr Smith

S15R said:
hey guys, thinking of getting a FMIC kit soon :D

share experiences u had with fmic kit, like piping and cooling etc, which brand you think is the best?

I saw this one on nissansilvia.com, kinda interesting :p no battery plate drilling :D

Looks a snug fit but very nice :cool:

B

Brad

Most disturbing thing about that one is the fact Nicely already brought up about the pipe length - both sides have half a metre excess piping.
The other thing is that the 'L' shape right before the throttle body isnt really conductive to even flow moving into the throttle body. Sure the air is going to be under pressure and it *shouldn't* make too much difference - but I will still avoid an install like that.

Brad.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
S15R said:
Nicely, what size is your intercooler? and do you need to shave the reinforcement?
600x300x75. The bumper needed shaving, the undertray trimming and the chassis legs needed *cough* 'adjusting'. Oh, and I lost my standard fogs...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
S15R said:
so no need to mod the reinforcement bar?
I got my FMIC halfway on yesterday.

I didn't have to trim the chassis legs (but it was bloody close).
But I have to trim the the reinforcemenct bar for it to go back on.
And the front bumper needs trimming to. haven't checked the undertray yet, but I suppose I need to work on that to.

Think I need to get something better than a Dremel tool for all the cutting :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Ah, now that's reminded me. It needed about 1mm filing off the rear sections of the reinforcement bar around the edge of the cooler (two contact points). Nothing major though, hence why I'd forgotten it. :)

M

Meddy

Yakozan said:
S15R said:
Think I need to get something better than a Dremel tool for all the cutting :D
When I fitted mine I used a Dremel to cut my bumper to size and also to shave the chassis legs. I set one on fire in the process though. Had to take it back to the shop and claim Id just been cutting up airfix models. :nod: :D