What's new

Starting from scratch...

J

Jono

The idea of this thread is that if all goes well, perhaps it could become a sticky in the useful section. :cool:

I've done some modifying in my time but nothing major. Certainly I'm new to the S15 and to turbo's too so I would find a step/phase guide quite useful.

My S15 is a 1999 Spec-R Aero. It's completely standard. If I gave you ?1000, what performance modifications would you make to my S15?

Am I right in thinking the generic rule of 'breathing' is the first place to start? Air Induction and Exhaust? If so, what would you recommend within the ?1k budget?

What's the best way to spend your first 1k? Let the thread commence! :D

J

Jono

Cool! But what sort, how much, where from, why, what do they do??? Details please! :p

Whats an Actuator? Hang on, i'll do a search!

S

S15R

Apexi Filter kit = $220
Trust PE II Exhaust = $750
Dump + Front = $700ish
HKS Actuator = $150

All in AUD$

J

Jono

Mmm, excellent! Though the exhaust seems cheap. I've seen an HKS Silent system for ?300 but it's mild steel - think i'll pay a bit extra for stainless. :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
We in the UK are at a disadvantage when it comes to S15 exhausts. No-one locally makes an SS system (like the S13 and 14). This means they all have to come from Japan. This also means you are unlikely to get a full SS system for under ?500 ($1200). :(

However, the S14 front pipe, turbo elbow (dump pipe) and manifold all fit the S15. The first two are available in good quality stainless and for a good price from Creasey on SXOC (also via http://www.cgarage.co.uk). He will also do a decat to order.

You can get an copy A'PEXi filter kit from Apex Performance for a much more reasonable price.

I'd say what S15R has. The only exception being that if you are going to want better control over you boost in the future, get an electronic boost controller instead of the adjustable actuator (a basic manual boost controller).

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
1st stage would be to imporve breathing, this has been covered above (should also include manifold in there somewhere) and it most likely the route all us UK guys have taken as our 1st stage.

Next step would be boost control, you can either get a manual boost controller, i.e. Dawes, or an Electrical boost controller, i.e. Greddy Profec B Spec II (one i have :thumbs:)

However, your boost should not be increased untill such times as you have had your fuelling adjusted from 100 ron Jap fuel, to your 97/98 Ron local fuel.

From the boost controller, the natural progression is into FMIC (Front Mount Intercooler), these can be bought from a large variaty of places, for the UK guys, best to check out Apex Performance, as they have one of there own kits that wil fit (as fitted to Nicely's car)

As the above items are mainly performace (which was asked for) it should be noted that one your reach this kind of level, you should also be thinking about suspension and brakes, both of which there are loads to choose from.

I'll shut up now and let someone else add there thoughts :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I wouldn't do the mani until stage 2. It would put a novice off modifying forever... Mani should ideally be done at the same time as changing the turbo gaskets and adding a turbo elbow (dump pipe). The tubby has to come off to do it...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
So in changing the Manifold (which i'm looking to soon) you need: -

1) Manifold
2) Gaskets to match - Whats all required??
3) Some form of heat proof mat for sheilding the ABS unit.

Anything else?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If you've not done it already, braided turbo hoses. Nissan do a turbo gasket kit. You need to get the turbo tab washers too - they aren't in the kit.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
the tubby or turbo doesn't have to come off when fitting a dump-pipe :)
It will probobly save you some time by removing those things first. But why do it the easy way :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It is possible, but its a bastard job. As you won't get the full benefit of the elbow until you've got the mani, you may as well do it then.