What's new

oil cooler Q???

J

jonny b

just wondering is it any harm having a oil cooler if its not thermostaticly controlled??can your oil go too cold resulting in it being bad for your engine???also how much extra oil would i need to add to my engine after fitting a 13 row cooler??

subzero

Reaction score
yes its just as bad to have you engine oil cold as too hot . if its a road car you really need a thermo , you wont be hitting high temps for too long driving to work if ya get me.

getting one myself for my track car so have been looking into them . greddy units are painfully expensive :( but i will bite the bullet soon .

Last edited:

subzero

Reaction score
not 100 % but yer man selling the mocal one said there on driftworks .

oil temp gauge be a handy addition too dude .

subzero

Reaction score
you should be good to go with a 5ltr bottle i would imagine ?? i usually buy millers 10w60 - 60 yoyos for a 5ltr drum.

DOM

Reaction score
It will depend how long your oil runs will be but I had to put over a litre for a 19 row cooler. I'd fill the oil cooler with oil during install :)

Ditto with thermostat, it's better for engine and turbo to get the oil warm and to optimal working temp sooner.

If you decide to go with thermostat, check your oil level after the 1st run (after when oil temp exceeds thermostat usually 80 degrees) and top up as required.

Reaction score
Hi Mates,

I got a Greddy 13row oil cooler. Where does the thermostat reside and how does it look like? Can someone post some pics?

Reaction score
Ok ,as said, its best if you can fit a thermostat to your oil cooler,but if you can't you should cover up the cooler for street and winter driving to get up to running temps.

You will only need about 700mls to 800mls of extra oil with a 13 row cooler and lines.

In the Greddy cooler, the thermostat resides in the sandwhich plate.

Its in the right side of the picture

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok ,as said, its best if you can fit a thermostat to your oil cooler,but if you can't you should cover up the cooler for street and winter driving to get up to running temps.

You will only need about 700mls to 800mls of extra oil with a 13 row cooler and lines.

In the Greddy cooler, the thermostat resides in the sandwhich plate.

Its in the right side of the picture

Brilliant mate! Thanks a million!

:thumbs: