LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Oil/Coolant leak... please help!!

Hi folks,

Just need some expert S15OC advice again!!

Basically, ever since I tool her on track at Silverstone, she's been running a lot hotter than usual. By last Friday I'd had enough cos on normal easy journeys around town, the oil temp was getting up to 115 deg celcius and I was hardly boosting the car?! :wack: Then I noticed the stock water temp gauge was 4/5 towards the 'H' end which really made me worried.

First I checked the oil levels and they seemed ok (also seems to be running lower oil pressure than usual but is that cos it's getting too hot??). Then I noticed the coolant looked low. So last Fri I topped up the coolant (about a litre was required) and all seemed ok. On the weekend had a little blast around the area and all was ok as well.

However, today, the oil temps were going up to around 100 deg celcius with normal driving which got me worried again. And when I got home from work this evening, the water temp needle started getting to 4/5 towards 'H' again. Also the water temp needle goes up and down which it never used to.

I'm still waiting for everything to cool down before I check the oil and coolant levels but jacked the car up and I can definitely see oil leaking from the turbo/exhaust area down to a plate above the shaft thingy (soz not technical on some bits) and there's oil all over the front ARB. I've touched it expecting it to be coolant but it's deffo oil which worries me even more :(

Here's some pics...

Please can anyone advise on what might be leaking oil - are there oil pipes/feeds for the turbo??

Suppose I should take the heat shield off and have a proper look but I'm waiting for it all to cool down :wack:

Cheers,

J :thumbs:

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Really confused now...

Just checked oil level and it seems absolutely fine.

Then opened the rad cap and coolant seemed low again??!! I only topped it up to the brim last Fri with coolant, car running ok and tonight it needed another litre if not slightly more before it reached the cap level again!!

Does anyone think what I'm feeling dripping on the ground is a mixture of oil and coolant - is that possible??

I'm beginning to think my water hose to the turbo is leaking - any thoughts fellas??

Cheers :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Sounds like you've got crack in the water or oil lines (or both) to the turbo. Very common. Braided lines will sort it, though you'll have to remove the turbo to get to the oil feed, I'm afraid :(

Water can feel oily when coolant is mixed in. The only way to tell is to take the shields off and look. However, if its leaking oil, you would generally smell it burning on the turbo.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
^^what he said, its surely the lines as theres not anything else in that area that would leak coolant or oil. if the coolant line is leaking the turbo could be getting extra hot, and whatever coolant pases through and doesnt leak out will be much hotter than it should be. plus a coolant system under pressure can stay cooler, if there is a leak it will lose pressure and the boiling point will not be as high.....

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers fellas for the advice :thumbs:

I will get the heat shield off first thing and check the water lines to the turbo. My suspicion is that it's at the very least coolant cos the levels seem to keep going lower and requires topping up. Also the fact that the water temp keeps going up and down which is not good at all :wack:

Can anyone advise the quickest and best place to get replacement water and oil lines for the S15?

Ta - J

B

baynz

i had this not long ago, and it turned out to be my coolant lines, the standard zig zag metal coolant line was totally broken in half, so i replaced all the lines to the turbo coolant and oil with braided ones, and i havent had any trouble since.

i got my braided lines from apex performance.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers baynz :)

Just read the whole shebang on Dean's post from last August about his broken coolant line (yiikes!!) - not looking forward to seeing what mine will have in store :wack:

I'm gonna order replacement braided lines from either Apex or Hose Solutions and will get the coolant ones done ASAP since I can't be without the car at the mo and can't afford the time to try and take the turbo off etc. Once I have more time, I will get the oil braided line sorted :thumbs:

Nice1 - S15OC to the rescue again!!! :nod:

Reaction score
Country
Id strongly reccomend doing both the oil and water lines at the same time mate, its not a job you are going to wanting to be doing again anytime soon.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
And as you're going to have to remove the turbo to do the oil line, do the turbo gasket at the same time :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Nice1 - will look into this as well... :)

Yeah I thought judging by previous posts it was good to sort out the turbo gaskets at the same time!! And I see the cost of these from Japan is waaay cheaper than from Nissan (as always) :rolleyes: