What's new

Head Gasket change

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Looks like i'm going to have to change my head gasket. Has anyone done this before? Looks a big job..

Head gasket is the gasket on the left of this picture (11044):

Have had a look on the service manual, but cant find any details. Only details on complete removal of every part. Is this required?

Reaction score
it's a fairly big job, but quite doo-able.

in short form, it's cam cover off, cams out, undo head bolts, head off, change and reinstall.

obviously coolant is needed, oil change wise too.

don't re-use head studs. Also wise to have the head skimmed over to make sure it's perfectly flat.

(look at this as a good time to upgrade for future..... MHG means possible new turbo and more boost! :D )

S

StarletRick

you can get cometic HGs for decent money, and they are the shizzle. get one of them instead of an OEM one.

also might be worth looknig forward as daz said. work out some tastey CRs for big boost :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Not really looking to upgrade the engine any more, but would like to cover it for durability.

Dazz0i, i'm concerned, as you have made it sound easy :wack:, do the cams need any alignment checks etc when going back in? Do you leave all the valves etc in the head and lift off?

Re getting the head skimmed, which part gets skimmed, where the valves locate to the lower part of the block? Does everypart need to be removed from the head?

Reaction score
Country
Valves locate on the head

You need to skim both the block and the head to make sure it's flat

The cams have to be put in at TDC and all that crap... i dont think it's THAT easy

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My plan would be to get the head checked, then if it needs skimmed get the block skimmed too. Bad plan? Alternative is taking the whole engine out.

Any "How to" thread/articles going around?

Reaction score
it's all in the service manual how to remove and install the head.

anyone that i know that's removed a head has had the block done, just cause it's A LOT of work to get the block out to have it skimmed.

if you were to take it somewhere, you'll find that they wouldn't skim the block.

Valves can stop in the head when having it skimmed. Not alot is taken off the head merely just a "tidy up" pass.

it does have to be put back together methodically, but.... the cam gears and chain are all "marked" as for where TDC is, it's not like you're chucking it all back in and hoping it's TDC.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
How do you get the block skimmed without removing it?

The service manual shows how to strip the engine, it removed punps etc from the head, is this nessecary?

TDC?? :wack:

Reaction score
Its not bad at all topper, im busy with mine at the moment. Make sure you do the turbo/manifold gaskets and a nice ned mhg while youre at it mate.

Basically strip the cams etc out but keep everything in order so you can put them back in their original place if you get me? Once thats done simply take the head off give it to a good machine shop, get them to skim it then when you get it back put everything back together :)

also arp headstuds arent far off the oem head bolts so a very worthy investment at the same time

Reaction score
i wouldn't bother skimming the block.

as said above, take everything out methodically, remove the head, then re-install. :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Cheers guys. I'll get back with any questions once i look into it a bit more :thumbs:

S

StarletRick

it isnt that hard.

i remember when i first went to do a big job of taking the head off i was pooing myself.

but once you get going, its easy. it takes time, but it isnt hard if you have a decent toolkit. just be patient and keep everything organised.

ziploc bags and a market pen are your best friend.

S

StarletRick

yeah, aside from the usual bits and bobs a good torque wrench is a must.

spark plug socket is handy aswell :p

W

way2fastforu

its not too bad to do once u no exactly wat has to come out...turbo an mani cams inlet mani off if u can it makes the job an awful lot easier...u can reuse head bolts as long as they are 158.2mm or shorter any longer an jus bin them...jus make sure u keep tension on the timin chain so it doesnt fall off the crank wen the head is off.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
jus make sure u keep tension on the timin chain so it doesnt fall off the crank wen the head is off.
This means nothing to me. I did think this was possible with the head off?

S

StarletRick

youll have to undo a tensioner to get the chain off of the cam gear. but make sure you keep it realativly tight. otherwise it will fall off of the crank pulley and youll have to realign that as well as the cams. itll just save you time, unless you were planning on changing it all anyway.

Reaction score
This means nothing to me. I did think this was possible with the head off?
it wont fall off, just put the chain to the side. Ive just done mine used the manual to do it and no issues at all. Very straight forward.

W

way2fastforu

it wont fall off, just put the chain to the side. Ive just done mine used the manual to do it and no issues at all. Very straight forward.
there is a chance it could fall off the crank if u dont keep it tight to it i done head gasket on my s13 3wks ago an it dropped into the sump on me wen i left it over the side:annoyed:...best thing to do is put it over the side an cable tie it to the power steerin pump or somethin close:thumbs: