What's new

Head Gasket change

Reaction score
there is a chance it could fall off the crank if u dont keep it tight to it i done head gasket on my s13 3wks ago an it dropped into the sump on me wen i left it over the side:annoyed:...best thing to do is put it over the side an cable tie it to the power steerin pump or somethin close:thumbs:
bit of a difference there fella, the 15 has a different head and tensioner system :thumbs: even if i tried to push my chain past the guides i cant......

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Good pic mate.

Started taking the engine apart today, have got all the exhaust side off (turbo etc)and most of the intake side off too.

One potential issue, i tried to start the engine before starting (forgot to do this and had to put back in plugs etc), car turned over but didnt start (with fuse removed), i havent taken off any fuel pipes yet, i'm trying to keep as much pipes connected as i can, the fuel pipe feel pretty hard, i'm hoping they are not still pressuried, if they are, is there anything i can do now? what will happen if i remove them?

Cheers :)

J

jhinchy

You might get a squirt of fuel out of the pipe when you disconnect it, nothing major. I wouldnt worry about it, just keep on ripping :thumbs:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Received :thumbs:

Turns out there was no pressure, the turning over i did at the start must have removed the pressure. Only very little fuel dripped out.

How do you remove the bolt behind the alterator???!!!! :mad: (red arrow). Its the only thing stopping me from taking the manifold off.......

P

pyro3113

can you just take the alternator off? or adjust the mounting bracket to give some room to get to the bolt?

here's a torrent for a good video on rebuilding the sr20. geared more towards upgrading internals etc but very informative and detailed.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1432273

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the torrent man, very helpful!

Topper you can bend the bracket slightly to get the mani off

Reaction score
Country
yeah bend it slighly and pivot it to the left with a good hard push. it should give you just enough room to manuvoure the intake mani out.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Cheers guys, i have tried bending it, but is quite thick and doesnt want to move, think i can remove the head and take the manifold with it, going to give that a try, then just remove once lifted out of the car.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
OK update time:

I've been busy, but have finally got the head off, gaskets still looks to be intact.... :confused:

The tops of the pistons are black and appear to have something burnt on, possibly coolant? They dont look clean like Mr Slammedmind's above.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Doesn't that usually mean its been running a bit rich if it's all black and sooty?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Pass, its been setup by Jez and nothing changed since, JUST passed emmissions at MOT time with CAT fitted.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Turns out craig is right, its nothing to worry about but is running a little rich.

Anyway, have now had the head skimmed (0.008" removed) and pressure tested (all is well), about to start putting it back together.

Any advice before i start?
Anything i may need to know?
How do i clean the block?
Use gasket sealant?

Cheers guys, hoping to have her on the road again soon as possible.