What's new

Blue Smoke

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Had some bubbling sound in the engine, I have now got the two fans strapped to the rad working via a Revotec controller, had the car idling, when the fans kicked in smoke started to come from the exhaust, adjusted the Revotec to stop the fans, but the smoke continued.

Any thoughts?

G

GUEST_JDM

you might be lucky and could be just a head gasket not sure the blue smokes not to healthy, how full on is the smoke like a light coating or is it full chain smoke?

S

StarletRick

if its constant blue smoke, its usually valve seals.

how bad is it?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Its a bit more than say starting the car on a cold day, but it not all blue, mostly white with some blue.

Dazz0i, PM coming your way :thumbs:

S

StarletRick

turbo seals only usually blow enough to smoke when the engine is coming off load, ie, slowing down for a corner/roundabout due to the oil pressure changing with the poor seals.

if its constant, its usually valve seals.

white smoke though, is either hotside turbo seals or water.

if its smoking bad at idle then you would be using noticable amounts of oil. put the car near a wall and rev it up. it will spit oil out the exhaust quite a bit if its hotside turbo seals.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Checked the coolant just now and it is merky... looks like it could be oil. What does that mean?

Reaction score
piston rings would cause blue smoke too....

these are all worst case senario outcomes though.

but, as they say... if it's broken, upgrade! :D

Reaction score
oil in the coolant does suggest headgasket failure......

but usually when that happens either the oil filler cap or the rad cap will got a gungy creamy colour.

G

GUEST_JDM

sounds like a head gasket to me, how is the idle and temp of the car? does it over heat or run rough on idle or down low revs?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Yes, all of the above GUEST_JDM, i notied it ran a little rough before the smoke started, and the heat was obvious from only having been tiking over in my drive. Got the fans to kick in at the Revotec's lowest setting (70oc), then the smoke started.

To be honest, i dont think its something as serious as piston rings etc, surely this would have a more serious effect on the engine, running very rough and possibly cutting out?

Reaction score
i'd tend to agree, things don't tend to last too long when the rings have gone. once worn to that degree they normally finish off quite quickly.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Have had the result back from my oil sample (taken about 500miles before the smoke appeared)

"Looking at them there is nothing to suggest the HG is going, if it goes between the coolant and oil ways you normally see high sodium in the oil (Na) but yours is very low. I guess it could be going between the cylinder and the coolant passages and burning coolant. I wouldnt say it wasnt going but the analysis doesnt confirm it is.

Other that that all is well, very little wear"

Sounds all good to me :), but there def appears to be oil in the coolant, and coolant in the engine.

HG change, change oil and coolant and see how she goes. If anyone has any other advice, would be greatly welcomed :thumbs: