What's new

What clutch?

D

daniel83

Hi everyone!

I think my clutch are going too say "bye bye" soon.
Soo i tought that I check here witch one of these i should use.
Exedy Sport Organic(stage 1) or Exedy Cerametallic(stage 2)?

What do you guys think?

S

StarletRick

this is a good q acutally.

ill be aiming up and around 330hp soonish and would like to know what clutch to upgrade to. preferably a single plate that isnt a demon to use.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
the exedy hyper i am using is excellent and user friendly - but be aware - it seems apparent that you may experience some vibration off throttle from it, at least i am suspecting mine more and more as i eliminate things it points to the clutch......

Reaction score
The Exedy organic will be kind on your gear box and easy to use around the streets and traffic. The ceramic will be shuddery until it warms up, which in cold weather will drive you nuts.

Reaction score
Id recommend the orc409d single plate. Good for the 400bhp mark and theres quite a few people running them including myself. Nice and light to use and nice biting point not far off standard. Also you get a lightened flywheel with the kit.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Id recommend the orc409d single plate. Good for the 400bhp mark and theres quite a few people running them including myself. Nice and light to use and nice biting point not far off standard. Also you get a lightened flywheel with the kit.
My former S15 had that clutch and flywheel. The silent version which was pretty user friendly. No heavy action or anything and the engined revved very fast with the chromeolly flywheel. But I think it had some downsides too. It shuddered alot when trying to take off smoothly from a stand still. It also came with a small vibration in a short rev band around 3000rpm. I first thought the vibration could be the exhaust catching somewhere, but there some to be quite a few on NS.com with the same clutch kit and the same problem.

edit: oh, and the prices for the kit isn't very nice nowadays with the currency exchange problem. I think the most important bit is to either get an organic clutch kit or single plate to make the gearbox life easier.
I would prorobly look into an Exedy organic if I would buy again as they seem to be pretty cheap and people seem to rate them high.

W

way2fastforu

i have an orc409d clutch in my silvia an find it very good

D

daniel83

I´m looking at ORC409. But I don´t know witch one of these I should choose.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]Silent type with or without Damper springs[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]Standard type with or without Damper springs[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]?

S

StarletRick

the damper is the silencer.

the cluthc itself isnt any different.

D

daniel83

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]Standard type with Damper springs [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]¥77700
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]Silent type with Damper springs [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]¥83200

Whats the difference for me except the price???
How mutch noise does the standard on give??
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

G

gunner93

My former S15 had that clutch and flywheel. The silent version which was pretty user friendly. No heavy action or anything and the engined revved very fast with the chromeolly flywheel. But I think it had some downsides too. It shuddered alot when trying to take off smoothly from a stand still. It also came with a small vibration in a short rev band around 3000rpm. I first thought the vibration could be the exhaust catching somewhere, but there some to be quite a few on NS.com with the same clutch kit and the same problem.

edit: oh, and the prices for the kit isn't very nice nowadays with the currency exchange problem. I think the most important bit is to either get an organic clutch kit or single plate to make the gearbox life easier.
I would prorobly look into an Exedy organic if I would buy again as they seem to be pretty cheap and people seem to rate them high.
I'm on ORC 559 Twin Plate. Pedal feel soft like stock but bites firm. Still has a little buffer for half clutch balancing. Cant take-off in 2nd gear as its jolts violently until you catch the right speed. Off throttle vibrations really seep through the centre console. When clutch is pressed, the clinking sound really attracts attention. Driving with it makes you labour with the car but I like it though. :D

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]Standard type with Damper springs [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]¥77700[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]Silent type with Damper springs [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]¥83200[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]Whats the difference for me except the price???[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Sans-serif]How mutch noise does the standard on give??[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I had the silent one with damper springs. Almost no added noise compared to stock. If you really listened you could hear a metallic noise on startup. Kinda like a sword sliding of metal. I've heard the same type of noise but much more audible on other cars with ORC. But those wern't the silent type. So you won't get the classic noise which alot of aftermarket clutches have when the clutch is dissengaged.

Lightened flywheel is very nice to have and the respons in neutral when revving is phenomenal. But I think that it made the revs drop to quickly for daily driving. 1 second after the clutch is engaged the engine is on idle revs. So if you don't shift fast, you won't get a smooth gearchange. The lighter weight of the flywheel makes up for it though as the revs rise very quickly and without much hassle when you release the clutch pedal. So it itsn't so bad as it sounds.