Which turbo to go for?

S

sevy

GT2876R - 705330 - 1
or
GT3071R - 700382-20

Which one is worth the investment?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
are you looking to run big power but not worried about lag?

Reaction score
yea, all depends on what you want from the car.

GT2871r will be plenty for a "fast road" car...

S

sevy

well how much difference is there between the two to begin with. I don't quite understand the specifics that Garrett talks about in their website.
Anyone care to enlighten me

Well long story short, i do want something with power but not to sit there and spin the wheel all day if I wanted to take off at the lights

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
well the 2871r .64 52trim is the least laggy upgrade that still allows you to run decent power, its also the most commonly used as far as i know - i have it myself and its a good turbo. you can run 'up to' just under 400bhp before its time to upgrade again......still spools well, coupled with cams mine pulls hard all the way to the redline now unlike before where it was time to change up at about 5-5.5k

Reaction score
What application do you want either of them for.

You won't spin the wheels with a big turbo,the lag kills that.
The stock T28 will spin wheels more than a GT3071R.

What gear box are you running,if your still using the stock 6 speed you can kiss that goodbye if you use either of those turbos to there full potential(220-280rwkw)

The 2871r or the HKS GTRS are a good upgrade if you still want response in the lower rev range but more power in the top end. They are good for street and occasional track work.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
the 2871r will spin the wheels quite nicely when it comes on boost, but as such can make the car unpredictable in damp/wet conditions - you can start to accelerate and then it will spin in a straight line all of a sudden.....so you could reach for another gear and it can do it again:nod:

Reaction score
Country
GT2871r is a great turbo.. thats with the .64 exhaust housing that is...

but in his first post he want to compare GT2876R - 705330 - 1 and the GT3071R - 700382-20.

anyone ever use the GT2876R??

S

sevy

Alright Im not really fused about the turbo that much but if the 6 spd box cant handle the power, whats a good upgrade for that? I keep hearing the RB box but that isn't exactly a straight forward conversion.

But then some people are saying 220kW is still fine with a 6 speed box. Which is which??

Reaction score
It will be if you are not to harsh on the box, and you go for a clutch which won't put to much stress on it (organic,coppermix)

S

sevy

okay that brings me to another question.

I got a twin plated clutch, does that put more stress on it or less?