What's new

s15 Diff

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Jacked the car up today to test fit some wheels and though id spin the wheels to see what would happen.. as to be honest, I really dont know much about diff's etc.

I turned one wheel and nothing happened on the other side, and vise versa. Anyway.. The s15 has a Helical Diff as standard (Spec R) and im guessing this is normal? Iv no idea. I was under the impression the s15 Spec R diff was good for drifting? As It seems to step out and sit perfectly happy..

Got a track day coming up next month at Crail and was really looking forward to this however Iv now been told that the diff is mainly for track and not drifting in the slightest..

Is it worth looking into a LSD from a s13/14? Anyone got some inside info they can share.

Cheers.

Reaction score
i had my arches rolled the other day, and while the chap was doing the rolling on one side i was lowering the suspension on the other. He was moving the hub and the other side was dead still so i guess thats the way it should be. I have to admit i was confused when i saw it too and wondered the same thing haha

i have previously read the the s15 had a different diff in it to the s14 to make it better round a track.....

thats all i can say about it as i dont no much :rotfl:

S

StarletRick

im not 100% sure as i dont know the specs, but it feels like a 1way. it is definitely helical though, viscous diffs feel very sloppy when made to do some work.

for drifting you want a 2way, you cannot beat them. if you think its easy to skid now, try one with a 2way :p

downside is, they are pricks to drive on the road. you have to be alert the whole time youre behind the wheel.

W

WATDA

Helical is crap for drifting. I ditched mine for a nismo because it would 1 wheel once warmed up and was not predictable at all.

subzero

Reaction score
i was very lucky to have an ATS 2 way in mine , huge money, but unreal to lock the back wheels , does have it side effects for daily driving , but ideal for any bit of sideways action.

suprised a diff isnt one of your top to buy items mint .

V

vti_coupw

mine is the same mint, mine will step out but only with a good bit of persuasion (sp) its absolutly terribly for trying to get her ta do circles too :( but saying that im still useless at trying ta do circles :( " OH THE SHAME" i need a two way

Reaction score
I'm about to ditch my Helical diff for a Nismo 1.5 way TT pro. It has 3 settings, soft,medium and hard. The trouble with the helical is wont put the power down to both wheels evenly, so you will lose traction on one side,which is quite noticeable in fast corners. No good for controlled drifting

V

vti_coupw

where you getting your nismo diff?? how much? how are the settings changed on it?

J

jhinchy

Thats normal for a helical diff alright, they are not bad, much better than a viscous anyway!

Reaction score
where you getting your nismo diff?? how much? how are the settings changed on it?
Iv'e got it through a local performance shop here in Sydney, Aus, who will fit it for me.
The settings are changed by removing one axle from the diff and adjusting it while the diff is still fitted. No need to drop it out.
I paid $1700 Aussie for it which was a good price.

After chasing a mate around the race track with one fitted, I knew I needed to get one if I was to get better control and power out of the corners :nod:

Reaction score
Country
I love my normal diff, does its best to hold the back end in check even when put under massive spin.....doesnt seem to do squat in the wet though :)

Not really got into drifting mine to be honest, too expensive a car to make mistakes in.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
hmm well I have never noticed a problem with my s15 not being able to drift :S bar when the boost was shot and currently now with the blown gasket and serious lack of power.

I have the drift day next month so it'll be put to the test then Im sure.. I cant imagine how a standard UK 200sx Diff would be better but oh well. I did consider a 2way diff.. but for the price, I could have one on my s15 in Japan so think i'll skip and see what I can do with the OE one at Crail.

Who knows.. might work out ok? Wont get real sideways but should be a hell of alot better than the MX5 and will just require more man foot ;)

Reaction score
It will get sideways fine - just have to tease it a fair bit more ;-) . So fine in fact that I popped two tires at exactly the same time on a drift day!!!!!! - I do still want a 2 way though.

subzero

Reaction score
:) - well you can pick up good diffs here at good prices, loads of cars now been broken :( as there not selling .

i think 2 ways are a pain to be honest for an everyday car . can be unpredictable in the rain.

Reaction score
:) - well you can pick up good diffs here at good prices, loads of cars now been broken :( as there not selling .

i think 2 ways are a pain to be honest for an everyday car . can be unpredictable in the rain.

Is there anywhere that compares the ramp angles in the common diffs?

Depending on the angle of the ramp (in both accel and decel) they will lock at different levels of increasing torque. Can't seem to see anyone talking about this. Chances are they're all different:confused:

J

jhinchy

Number of plates will be a big influence on the locking factor too!
Ive done some playing with different ramp angles, just not on a nissan, on bmw/opel ZF diffs, i