Gizzmo Boost Controller - HELP!!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Howdy folks :wave:

Just need the usual S15OC expert advice please lol...

Purchased the Gizzmo MS-IBC Boost Controller which arrived yesterday (don't laugh - not paying Profec B prices or having to wait ages for one to arrive and this item's highly recommended by Driftworks who use it in their R32 etc) and wanted to check where everything plumbs into :wack:

Here's the PDF file for the installation instructions:

http://www.gizzmoelectronics.co.uk/pdf/MS-IBC Instruction PDF Ver1.01.pdf

On page 14, it says for the Pressure Port which goes into the Boost Controller on one end and the following for the other end:

1. The Pressure port is to be connected to a direct pressure source
at an inlet manifold e.g. Fuel Press Regulator. Do not connect
this to any other device such as a solenoid valve or blow off
valve. A 3mm Y connector is provided to assist plumbing.

Can anyone explain where this direct pressure source is or where the fuel pressure regulator is?

On the next page - page 15, I'm assuming I have an internal wastegate with my stock turbo so does the pipe going into Port 3 (IN SOLENOID) come from the current vacuum tube which is tapped from the cold pipe running across the front of the standard WMIC piping? This would place the solenoid before the standard actuator I think?

And therefore does Port 2 (OUT SOLENOID) then go to the current stock actuator which is the bit of plastic mounted off the Near-Side wheel arch or am I confused and this is not the stock actuator??

Sorry I sound like a doofus but I'm still learning. I've fitted my own boost gauge recently but this is first time with boost controller!!!

Cheers,

James :thumbs:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
the fuel regulator is on the end of the fuel rail nearest the front of the car. there is a little vacuum hose from this to the plenum that you tee into to go to the controller. the solenoid feed comes from the original hotpipe connection hose to the standard solenoid, and the out goes to actuator:nod:. if you have a front mount intercooler you need to get a quick tap boost fitting and plumb that into the silicone hose on the hotpipe nearest the turbo and use this to feed the 'in' side of the solenoid.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers Dean :thumbs:

However, just to clarify:

I replace the new solenoid over the old one so I can effectively use the original hoses as follows...

HOT PIPE -> STOCK SOLENOID <REMOVE> / NEW SOLENOID -> STOCK ACTUATOR

??

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
yep,
hotpipe - solenoid in
solenoid out - actuator

T

Toby

Having bought one of these Gizzmo's and fitted it, was it fairly easy and how do you rate the controller?

I'm looking for Stage 2/2a so this is the next thing on the list really!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah it's real easy if I checked the input/output pipes correctly when I first fitted this lol :wack:

I can tell you exactly how to set this up properly mate when you get it :)

Will be more than enough for your application :thumbs:

T

Toby

Excellent cheers buddy!

Where did you buy it from? are you still using it with the stock actuator?

T

Toby

Well its in the post, so brace your self for all the n00b questions :D

Where abouts did you mount it in the car?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Nice1 mate - it's mounted in the spare opening I have to the left side of the steering column... I'll take a pic and upload it later ;)

Reaction score
Just a point to note, its not good to tap into the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) line for a boost source. It's a much better and safer idea to just tap the boost off from one of the carbon canister lines.

T

Toby

Thanks Buddy, I have read this on SXOC. One guy found a spare pipe that came from under his T/B, not so keen on using the carbon canister as I will most probably take it out.

I'll probably be copying how Lupix did his, as his seems to work fine :)

T

Toby

Hey buddy when you come to getting the camera out, can you show me where you have put the solinoid, and what hoses are going where?

Hoping to have this in by the weekend :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ah soz mate not been on here for a couple days lol?!

I'll take some pics of how I installed the Gizzmo controller tomo and then upload. Needed to set a reminder so I don't forget!! :wack:

T

Toby

Mate you deserve a medal!

Got all the vaccum hoses plumbed in correctly just need to wire it up later this weekend :)

thats really helpful mate thankyou, just a few more things!!

The Pipe from the carbon canister that you remove from the T peice to plumb in the hose going to the gizzmo display, is that and the rest of the carbon canister basically doing nothing now? can I remove the solenoid on the driver side rad mount?

Thanks buddy :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
No worries mate :)

If you have tee'd the Gizzmo vacuum into where the carbon canister vacuum used to go then you might as well bin the whole carbon canister setup. So as you say disconnect all tubes going to the solenoid for the carbon canister at the front left of the engine bay above rad. You can then rip out the solenoid and leave the harness unplugged but put some insulation tape to cover it etc.

But here's the important bit - you now need to remove the carbon canister itself and then find a vacuum tube to connect the hard pipes ONLY from one to the other so there's a complete circuit with no leakage from that aspect lol.

Whilst I'm here I might as well give you a quick guide to dialling in the DUTY CYCLE plus GAIN settings on your MS-IBC control unit. Bascially there's no exact science :wack: Every car works slightly differently so it's more fuzzy than saying there's a magic number for your duty and gain values. You don't have a 'set boost to this amount of bar' quick solution for boost controllers in general!!

So...

1. Start the car when you're ready to have a play with setting the Gizzmo controller.

2. Press the lower button once. It should then display '2'. Pressing the lower button again once should go to '3'. Basically this is scrolling through the 6 different settings you can have for the boost controller. Keep pressing the lower button until you get back to '1'. The the display should go back to '0.00' after a second or two.

3. Hold down the lower button until you see 'CLO'. This is the default setting which applies to internal wastegate applications and means closed loop. Here's the hard(ish) part. Press BOTH upper/lower buttons at the same time to store this setting. You might not get this first time and if it only reads one button first the value will change to 'OPE' which is open loop - been there hundreds of times haha!!! :wack: Press either button once again and it should go back to 'CLO'. Pres both buttons and try again. When you have both buttons pressed ok the display will go to 'dUt' which is duty cycle.

4. The default value should be something like '10' IIRC. Press the upper button (or lower button if you go too far) and set this to something safe intially... say '30'. Again try and press both buttons at same time to store this value. Once you have done this the display will show 'gAI' which means you are ready for the gain setting.

5. Again, after a second or two the default gain value should show '10' like the duty one did. Same process as before use the upper/lower button to set to something like '20' to be safe. Then press both buttons to complete.

Ok the fun part starts... test driving!!! You should notice that DUTY as you increase this will up the max amount of boost the controller lets you run the car at. Increasing GAIN will allow the turbo to spool quicker and more aggressively but don't go too far on this as you'll see the boost go out of control and way over the max safe amount before the Gizzmo is able to pull it back in line with the intended max boost setting!!

Keep playing and adjusting to your needs :thumbs:

Last edited:
T

Toby

Thats excellent help mate, these last few posts are sticky worth if you ask me!!

Sadly test driving still can't actually happen as the cars not registered :( hopefully sometime next week i can actually use her!

One question, The tiny whole in the bluck head im using to get everything inside the car is getting very full now, as i have 3 gauges in the car...

could i run 1 vaccum hose into the car, then once inside split one off to the boost gauge and one off to the gizzmo?