What's new

Apex Type 2 Intercooler Kit - Questions??

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi folks,

Gather that some of you have fitted or know about the Apex Performance Type 2 Intercooler Kit :) I've just ordered mine and should be able to fit this on the weekend...

Got a couple questions so really appreciate any help on this:

* The kit is actually for an S14 but Apex told me this will fit the S15. Can I really get away with no cutting, changing battery size etc to get this Type 2 onto the car?

* The previous owner fitted a Blitz BOV which is welded onto the current hot pipe. Where can I put the BOV if I upgrade to this Intercooler kit cos surely I'll have to put in a new Apex hot pipe to replace the old one?

Cheers - any more comments/advice on fitting this kit would be greatly received :thumbs:

James

Reaction score
Yep, you have to cut a hole in the battery tray with the Apexi and a bit from the two rails behind the bumper to fit the IC in behind the bar.
You will also have to grind some plastic off your front bar :)

Reaction score
Country
Yep, you have to cut a hole in the battery tray with the Apexi and a bit from the two rails behind the bumper to fit the IC in behind the bar.
You will also have to grind some plastic off your front bar :)
The type 2 is different as the piping runs back along the front of the chassis so 'shouldnt' need any trimming. However i havent seen anyone fit the type 2 on an S15 yet so i cant confirm if this will be the case.

If your hotpipe currently fits the standard WMIC setup ok then i see now reason why it wont fit the Apex type 2 as this FMIC is designed to use the standard hotpipe.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Dunno mate lol... still haven't got round to fitting this?! :furious:

Got loads to sort out so it's been put on hold till next month!!

Swapping tubby gaskets on Friday plus adding braided oil feed line for turbo and hopefully get round to fitting this damn blasted FMIC by middle September :wack:

S

StarletRick

ive got a type 2 on mine.

it fits well although you do have to trim the chassis rails a touch and cut a hole in the battery tray (but you need to do that on the s14 too).

only thing i did was space out the core so i could fit it without getting rid of the fogs. it fouls pretty badly on both sides and youll never get the fogs back on unless you space it. you dont have to trim the bumper at all if you do this.

you need to do something with the washer bottle, as it is right in the way! i think apex do a small bottle kit, but what i did was put it in the oven for 10 mins until the platic was nice any plyable, then massaged the corner in on itself to allow the room for the pipework.

you also have to cut the front part of the mudguard tray that goes under the car (or remove it completely).

you can have a nose at JAE if you want and ill show you how i did it.

can see here how it fits, nice and snug ^^;

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Rick - I think you're talking about the Apex Type 1 which is the regular FMIC routing... I've got the Type 2 which does not go around 'the other side' of the front of the car, rather the piping fits onto the second section of the original cold pipe after the wing mount so you still have the black piping in front of the engine block.

S

StarletRick

oh those gay ones :p

they are a tight fit indeed, my mate had one on his s14.

youll probably have to do some trimming as they sit at a weird angle when installed.

get a proper one :p dont be a poof, cut a big hole in your car.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
its very easy to do a nice neat install of the type 1, it has a bigger core, looks better and is all round a better bit of kit. the hole in the battery tray isnt massive, and if for any strange reason you went back to standard you just turn your battery back round and its covered up again, you'd never know:nod:

Reaction score
its very easy to do a nice neat install of the type 1, it has a bigger core, looks better and is all round a better bit of kit. the hole in the battery tray isnt massive, and if for any strange reason you went back to standard you just turn your battery back round and its covered up again, you'd never know:nod:
can you get away with a stock battery with the type 1 and just change the angle of it? im thinkin of getting one in the next few months.

Cheers

Reaction score
No way mate, heres the biggest one I could fit in but it gave me problems when shutting the bonnet etc.

I then got the recomended battery from tanya.co.uk and its a much better fit with no faffing around! wish I had just bought that one first! and if your worried about the battery not being powerfull dont be, I have left my car for days in the cold weather and it starts beautifully everytime! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reaction score
No way mate, heres the biggest one I could fit in but it gave me problems when shutting the bonnet etc.

I then got the recomended battery from tanya.co.uk and its a much better fit with no faffing around! wish I had just bought that one first! and if your worried about the battery not being powerfull dont be, I have left my car for days in the cold weather and it starts beautifully everytime! :thumbs:
where you gonna stick a piccy in? how much was the battery and where you get yours from?

Cheers

Reaction score
cool cheers for that mate, did you have to change the battery tray atal to put the battery that way round? apex perfromance offer a battery for £100 to go with kit, so youve just smashed that price- cheers

Reaction score
I did have to for the first one but not with the second! Deffo get the one from tayna and you wont have any problems!:thumbs:

I had to spin the washer bottle round, they give you a bracket to use but I just made my own.

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
One of my next jobs will be to move the battery into the spare wheel well, then I can remove the battery tray too. It should look a lot tidyer in the engine bay with the tray removed.