What's new

Strange engine problem

D

daniel83

Hi!

Today when I was taking the car out for a spin too meet some friends. After that wee went to a place where we use too race. And we had decided that I would try too race against a Impreza. Due too my new tuning parts.
When we started the race, my car wouldn´t like too do it. It went away and when I hit 4000rpm it started too blur. Like it was no more power.
Last time it was like that it was the sparks. But I haven´t drived the car for about 6months with the new sparks.
What can it be?

A

alexfalk

Might be a leak in your intercooler piping. Is it running as it should on lower RPMs?

F

FRONTYARD

Sounds like a fuel cut does the car feel like hitting a brick wall when it hits 4000rpm?

D

daniel83

The mods that have been done is following.
3" elbow
3" frontpipe
3" catback
Steel braided turbo hoses
FMIC

That´s about it.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
turbo gaskets leaking under load? that'd do what you describe - did on mine:nod:

Reaction score
It could be your plugs are fowling because it running rich. Front mount and exhaust will give you a slight increase in boost pressure. The stock computer wont make adjustments to your AFR's so it will add extra fuel to protect the motor.Remember when you start making changes beyond stock, the computer cannot workout the new settings,its set to factory.Some people have had success by reseting the computer to relearn the simple mods

Last edited:
D

daniel83

turbo gaskets leaking under load? that'd do what you describe - did on mine:nod:

How does that sound then?
We did change the gaskets as well. From the manifold to the cat.

Last edited:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
can be a subtle or loud squeal up the top of the rev range, even sound a bit growly. at very first i didnt hear anything, just noticed the dip in performance. then the noise followed soon after:nod:

D

daniel83

Alright. Then I might have it. Going too have too dubbel check it with a friend of mine what he says about my sound.

A

alexfalk

Did you put the locking plates for the nuts back on the turbo? otherwise they have a nasty habbit of comming loose.

Just another thought. Did you adjust the timing?

D

daniel83

Did you put the locking plates for the nuts back on the turbo? otherwise they have a nasty habbit of comming loose.

Just another thought. Did you adjust the timing?

The locking plates did we ignore. The nuts did come of very easy.
Adjust timing????? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

A

alexfalk

Then it seems like the gasket is blown. You could try copper nuts when you swap the gasket. I´m not sure how they will hold up in the long run though. We are currently testing them on my girlfriends S15.

If you get the timing adjustment wrong (justerat tändningen) you get similar problems.

D

daniel83

Then it seems like the gasket is blown. You could try copper nuts when you swap the gasket. I´m not sure how they will hold up in the long run though. We are currently testing them on my girlfriends S15.

If you get the timing adjustment wrong (justerat tändningen) you get similar problems.
We did put in new gaskets from the turbo all the way back too the cat.

Does anyone knows when the fuel cut appers and on what boost pressaure?

A

alexfalk

yes but if the bolts have come loose your gasket is blown again.

We test drove my friends S14 yesterday. His base boost was set way too high and fuelcut occured at around 1,3bar.

A

alexfalk

If you didn´t overboost it it shouldn´t be fuelcut.
But the only way that I know to avoid getting fuelcuts is to swap for an aftermarket ECU or install a fuelcut defender.

Last edited: