What's new

boost controller and cusco catch tank...

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I am looking to get one in the next day or two b4 i leave hong kong for uk and wanna know what ppl think of the greedy PROFEC B SPEC II???
and the oil catch tank are they universal or made for each car???

D

Derek

Greddy boost controller are supposed to be good. but saying that i've sbc id3 and probally would prefer avcr. I think its all the one what boost controller you have once they work.

Oil catch tanks come in univeral and specifically for cars, Cusco make one for the S15 and its a doodle to fit..

Reaction score
Greddy Profec B is best for its money. Its cheap as well compare to the Apexi, HKS and Blitz. I use it on my S15 and my FD too. Very highly recommended :thumbs:

S

S15R

get sbc id3 :thumbs:

if you have alarm intalled at the driver side corner then dont get the kit just buy an universal kit

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
As always when we talk about boost controllers, I will just remind the Euro JDM owners that your S15 requires an ECU remap if you are raising the boost anything over 0.8 bar. That's when det will start... :)

Reaction score
How can you tell if the car is Detting? I know the if you have a POwer FC then, engine light flashes. But what if I am running on standard ECU.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You may hear it, though not recognize it. It can be pinking, crackling, a rattle... A Knock Link is the most convenient warning you can have without having a knock reading incorporated into something (like a PFC). You can get an A/F meter, but these need to have a wideband lambda sensor plumbed into the exhaust. Using the standard lambda achieves nothing. The meter will only give an A/F reading though. It won't tell you if det is actually occurring. The best method is to have a a set of det headphones which are used to listen to sound at the block. Jez uses these for mapping. Not very practical for everyday driving though... :p

Take my word for it though. If you are running the standard JDM map, which is setup with more advanced ignition and fuelling for 101 RON fuel, running 97/98 RON and high boost won't go. The JDM map is leaned off mid range. This is where det will occur.

When I got my Emanage mapped on the S15 for the first time by Jez, he confirmed that det was occurring at 0.8/0.9 bar on the standard map and running Optimax.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Another vote for Greddy here :wave:

I have one, doddle to fit (as most boost controllers would be) and easy to setup, although getting the settings just rights takes a bit of time, unless you knwo what your doing :)

Reaction score
Nicely said:
You may hear it, though not recognize it. It can be pinking, crackling, a rattle... A Knock Link is the most convenient warning you can have without having a knock reading incorporated into something (like a PFC). You can get an A/F meter, but these need to have a wideband lambda sensor plumbed into the exhaust. Using the standard lambda achieves nothing. The meter will only give an A/F reading though. It won't tell you if det is actually occurring. The best method is to have a a set of det headphones which are used to listen to sound at the block. Jez uses these for mapping. Not very practical for everyday driving though... :p

Take my word for it though. If you are running the standard JDM map, which is setup with more advanced ignition and fuelling for 101 RON fuel, running 97/98 RON and high boost won't go. The JDM map is leaned off mid range. This is where det will occur.

When I got my Emanage mapped on the S15 for the first time by Jez, he confirmed that det was occurring at 0.8/0.9 bar on the standard map and running Optimax.
Thanks for that, I will keep it in mind.

So will you say for sure that if I keep the boost around 0.75 bar then it will be ok. Or should I get some tuners to check it out for me, coz I dont want to blow my enigne :(

M

Meddy

JP825 said:
Nicely said:

Thanks for that, I will keep it in mind.

So will you say for sure that if I keep the boost around 0.75 bar then it will be ok. Or should I get some tuners to check it out for me, coz I dont want to blow my enigne :(
Thing is mate you will probably be OK running 0.7-0.8 bar, for the most part, but to be honest I cant understand after spending what is a reasonable sum on a car why you wouldnt just buy an aftermarket ECU, or have your stock ECU remapped by Jez. It'll be the best money you ever spend on the car and will gain you a lot more for not a great deal of outlay than things like exhausts etc.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
thanks guys i think iwill go buy them tom then ive got some other goodies but i tell u what else i got when i get them hehe... :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Just remember that you don't have to slash out on a PFC. You can have the same degree of mapping by getting one of Jez's chips for ?295 (including mapping specifically for your car). :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Topper said:
Which i would consider if i wasnt 6 million miles away :rolleyes:
Same here.
I could have the same thing done locally. But it would be cheaper to have Jez flown to Sweden and back with his equipment for the mapping. I also think he would have more experience with the SR20DET then most Swedish tuners.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, know that. But JP825 is in London and Manchester, so not that far for him. Also not far for Ming either... ;) If you WILL live near the Arctic Circle... :p