What's new

Subframe questions from the US

O

old_s13

Subframe Help / old_s13 Restoration Project

Hi guys, I've posted a few times in the past but usually not relating my car. This time, I need some help and I am hoping someone can chime in with some good info.

I spent many many hours searching for information and pics, I wasnt able to find too much.

I have an US-spec S13 Hatchback here in the States, obviously, and its currently undergoing a very very... very lengthy restoration. Everything was stripped, repainted, and upgraded.. from chassis to undercarriage. Its also updated to widebody with bubble flares.

With that said, I'm currently working on the subframe & suspension arms. I've managed to locate Nismo bushings for almost everything. However, I've been tossing the idea back and fourth in whether or not to go with S15 subframe. So far here is what me and the boys on Zilvia.net have confirmed:
- its stronger and beefier
- it can bolt on with the use of eccentric solid aluminum bushings
- its wider ~10mm i believe
- it has a built in rear brace, it appears to be welded onto the subframe
- it has better anti-squat suspension geometry

since finding one used is a pain in the ass and expensive to ship, i should be able to import it through my local nissan dealer.. only catch is i have to buy it brand new, which isnt too unrealistic.

one thing i would like, if possible, is if you guys can post pics of your undercarriage or in specific, of the s15 subframe. i noticed there arent many pics on the forum. if you guys can please share some pics, that would be a great help.

thanks!

Last edited:
O

old_s13

pics of said project car on stands:

very empty interior:

top view, black roof:

rear quarter panel:

parts everywhere.. (still moving into the new property, excuse the mess):

wheel well (before):

wheel well (after):

i hope you guys like the pics!

cheers,
mike / clearcorners.com

O

old_s13

here is what the car looked like many years ago, before marriage!

the car will essentially be a refined street version of the famous jdm-rice car. very little fiberglass, its all OEM aero and no solid bushings. i was going to use modified OEM suspension arms and then found out that Apex Performance sells adjustable arms that still use bushings (very cool!). Here is a pic of the original JDM rice car, this is my friends car.. what a fun ride:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Looks like the car is comming aong nicely :)
That JDM rice car is the best S13 hatchback I've ever seen. Makes you want to get an S13 :D

Unfortunaly I've got no pics for you :(

O

old_s13

cool. well..... if anyone happens to have any undercarriage shots or pics of the s15 subframe, please post. thanks!

Reaction score
I think to fit the S15 subframe you will need offset bushings. I have an S15 subframe home waiting on parts form Driftworks.

O

old_s13

correct, you can get offset bushings or you can weld offset plates onto the top and bottom of the bushing mount provisions.

if you can post some pics or e-mail some over to me, i would be grateful!

mike@clearcorners.com

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
hey mate - cars looking awesome:nod:

at the moment im having some parts of the subframe powder coated to get rid of some cosmetic rust, but the parts should be back the next couple of days and ill take some pics for you:thumbs:

by the way, the extra bracing on the rear subby between the two upper mounts to chassis is actually just a bar with parts on the ends that fit on the studs before the subframe nuts go back on - could easily be made....

Reaction score
Country
i actually have (or had) a japanese drift mag that has a lengthly article about the s15 subframe with lots of good pics. it's in my car right now packaged up to send to a friend in dubai... if i get a chance (i'm at work right now) i'll open the package up and scan & post the article for ya.

O

old_s13

this is the only pic ive been able to see, the bar looks welded but obviously i could be wrong.

anyone here happen to know anyone with a spare s15 subframe? my only hope at the moment is ordering one new from nissan japan and having it imported. :( $$$$

if anyone is able to assist, let me know. i'm more than willing to compensate for whatever help you can offer!

cheers

edit: in another post on this forum, someone had mentioned the following part numbers for the subframe:
Part Number:55400-85F01-
Description:MEMBER COMPL-REAR SUSPENSION
Prod.M/Y:9901-0007

Part Number:55400-85F00-
Description:MEMBER COMPL-REAR SUSPENSION
Prod.M/Y:0007-

FYI, I checked with my source at the dealership and the first part number supersedes to the second latter PN.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
that bar is one of the items i've removed at the moment, the ends are welded to the bar, but the whole thing just bolts onto the sub mounting points. you should be able to order one of these from nissan if you can get a part number as they are a seperate part, that would fit an s14 too i'd say. to be honest, apart from this and the lack of diff oil cooler mounts - there isnt much difference between the s14 and s15 subframe is there???

M

Matt_S

Its welded to the rear 'cups'. On the S14 you could just literally bolt this on, as theyre the same floorpan - ergo, they can be interchanged.
As far as I can see, the S15 subframe is an S14/R33 (theyre the same apart from mounts for the HICAS rack - I have pics of these somewhere) so if thats the same, just go to Nissan and buy the bracing bar new from Nissan and use a USDM 240sx rear frame.
THe boys on Driftworks have fitted an S14 frame to their R32 and the R32 uses an S13 frame, so tehey might be able to offer some advice, but to be honest it sounds like your almost there :thumbs:
Remember you have to use the S14/S15 rear lower arms too. They look very similar to S13 but theyre different :wack: :D
But rather than getting S15 factory arms, just get some Nismo arms. Theyre even beffier than the S15 ones :thumbs:
I personally think the frames dont give any different track benefits, its the lower arms that give the wider track.

Loved your car years ago when I was a lot lot fresher into the scene with my S13 and we couldnt get any parts over here. Glad to see the overhaul - looks good! :thumbs:

Reaction score
That rear bar is separate but bolts just like that between both bushings. I will get some pis for you tomorrow. The only thing though is that my sub frame has no bushings as I already roasted them and banged them out and repainted my subframe. Let me see how fast I can get some pics up.

Reaction score
Best I could do as it's night time,

My old S15 subframe that I hacked the **** out of,

O

old_s13

thanks for the links and info guys, really do appreciate it.

besides the rear bar attachment, i cant seem to see any differences between the s14 and s15 subframes.. they look very similar, if not identical.

i noticed the nismo RLCA has gussets welded into the corners for additional support. i figure i can attain some s14 RLCAs and do weld the gussets there for additional reinforcement.

also, i picked up new B12 sentra front ball joints which replace our rear ball joints, in case you guys ever need replacements.