What's new

Do you think this setup is a bit excessive for a non track car?

D

daniel83

I will say that it´s up too you.
If you think that package is good for you then go for it.

E

Envious

Just worried that I would end up throwing loads of money at handling when I might not need it?

M

Matt_S

I wouldnt go for the front and rear lower arm kit unless its a specific drift/track car. And even then Id probably only go for the fronts.
The solid bushes are HARSH beyond belief in a road car. The poly bushes are a good upgrade to stiffen the car up if the old ones are worn.
Castor/Tension rods are a good buy, Rear Upper and Rear Toe are a necessity if going really low.
And coilovers? Well, yeh, if you need them do it. But for a daily driver, Id just say a decent set of shocks and springs (or a Nismo S Tune setup) and a set of uprated ARBs would do the trick on an S15.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
personally I think it's overkill for a street car.
Totally different story if you enjoy a couple of track days every year.
But that's alot of money to spend which ultimately will make your car less comfy on regular roads and in the end might make you think twice about using the car if there is another car available.

Solid bushes will make alot of noise and the suspension will probobly be rock hard making you lose your breath going over uneven roads.
Would be great for track, but for a road car, I would choose something a bit more suited for crappy roads.

But it's your choice.

E

Envious

The thing is this will be my little project.
I would like to give it the best parts possible, also I would like it to handle the best it can.

Which is why ARB's etc would be added.

But as it is a road car I wouldn't want the ride to harsh.

Also I know I will probably be tempted by the odd DWYB / RWYB / Track Day.

LOL

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I think you're in the realms of wanting the best of both worlds which is impossible lol...

You have to make a decision as follows:

1. Build a track style S15 which handles great on track but is very hard to live with on normal roads.

2. Compromise and go for less mods, mods that are less extreme but then the end result on track is it's not going to be 'up there' in terms of handling etc.

Personally, I'm going for option 2 because firstly, I don't have the money to buy loads of all out track orientated suspension parts lol :wack: but mainly cos I drive the 15 on lots of normal roads and still want it to behave in a way that doesn't suffer in performance as well as making me shat my pants.

I've seen enough mates in other Jap cars with stiff Jap drift/track setup coilovers and boy does it look scary following them on the local B2786 :no:

M

Matt_S

UNless you go for Tein FLEX with EDFC and then you can turn the damping down for the road if its a bit harsh. But you wont get change from what DW want for that entire setup :wack:

Reaction score
I have the Driftworks CS2's and all the adjustable arms but not the lower arm set as i thought that was a bit much for the road haha,

i also haven't got the solid bushes and from what people say about them i don't think i would like em,

the coilovers have quite high spring rates and the ride can be quite hard on bad roads but with a bit of speed the ride is superb and smooth and once i get some arbs on i doubt there would be any need for the other bits at all for a car that mainly see's the road :thumbs:

Last edited:
D

dss15

My two cents.
Don't do rock hard coilovers. Just don't!
It's a hoot taking corners, but...
Your spine is going to hate you. I've got some hardass coils in, and I keep a strut brace in just to keep the front from slopping about, and I get sick of driving places just because it's as rough as guts if you hit a bump!
Train tracks will be a nightmare too, as in everything in the car will jump around and your change compartment will end up all over your lap.

Go for something that has enough travel coilover wise, and then just brace it up!
:nod: