What's new

Quest on Rocker Stoppers ?

subzero

Reaction score
just wondering , ive seen these for sale and lads talking bout installing these.... so whats the crack with em ??

bring the info brainiacs !!

Reaction score
Country
i'd like to know some details as well! i purchased a set of 264 cams and new valve springs, and was advised to install rocker stoppers as well. to my understanding, it was useful for people that like to bounce the rev limiter. as i have no intentions to abuse my motor like that, i didn't purchase it. what is the exact purpose of rocker stoppers and what are the benefits?

Reaction score
they're used while a car sustains higher revs to prevent the rockers "flipping" right over. :)

M

Matt_S

DOnt bother. Just uprate the springs. If they DO flip off, the stoppers act on the BACK of the rocker which is too late then :wack:

Save ya money towards the springs.

Reaction score
Country
DOnt bother. Just uprate the springs. If they DO flip off, the stoppers act on the BACK of the rocker which is too late then :wack:

Save ya money towards the springs.
i've seen rockers relatively cheap, 55 GBP or so, with that price, is it worth the investment??

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i fitted them, i think its worth it as with uprated cams and a different turbo the power has been moved up the rev range - its worth holding it in gear and revving it:). if a rocker arm were to break, it apparently stops it bouncing around inside the rocker cover and potentially causing damage to other parts

M

Matt_S

THey dont Dean. Still seen em pop off and then all that happens is rather than pop off, they just snap cos the backs held down by the stopper. :wack:
If you think about it logically, if you want something to stay put, you put more pressure on the contact point. Less likely to pop off / dislocate then. You dont put a little stay just off the highest point it rolls through :wack:

M

Matt_S

Err, nope! That dont work either!
P11 Primeras run the samr rockers and I know someone who has popped one off a few times in his three year ownership. If it happens, it happens. But me personally, Id rather have it just pop off and lose the cylinder, pull over, get recovered and fix it. With the stoppers there's a chance that it will just snap and leave itself wedged in the valvetrain, seize the cam and snap the chain. = new engine :wack:

Reaction score
Err, nope! That dont work either!
P11 Primeras run the samr rockers and I know someone who has popped one off a few times in his three year ownership. If it happens, it happens. But me personally, Id rather have it just pop off and lose the cylinder, pull over, get recovered and fix it. With the stoppers there's a chance that it will just snap and leave itself wedged in the valvetrain, seize the cam and snap the chain. = new engine :wack:

So how can you compare a Primera P11 with a SR20DE to a S15 with a SR20DET:confused:

M

Matt_S

So how can you compare a Primera P11 with a SR20DE to a S15 with a SR20DET:confused:
Err, cos they have the same valvetrain you dumbass! :p

OK, so the DET in the 15 has VVT and a turbo, but essentially theyre the same! :wack:

G

GR1FTA

I popped a rocker earlier this year, i hit full boost @4000rpm (1.8bar) on a gtir engine had to strip the whole bottom end to find all the smashed peices of shims, would a rocker stopper have helped?, maybe, cost me nothing but time to fix and engine felt a lot nicer/smoother free reving to drive after the bottom end was re torqued, definately fitting one to my s15 will it help? i found out what not having one does i wouldnt mind finding out if it does help, they are cheap enough and the damage done by having one and not having one cant be that much different if having one does cause damage.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
ok ok.. right guys, someone please clear all this up for me here.

Matt, im seriously wanting to hear the happs as I know your background etc so id like your opinion.

A friend of mine at JAE this year over revved his PS13 and popped the thing.. turned out the rockers went. He went to GARAGE-D and got new ones, fitted them and it went again up the M6 Toll.

He has HKS cams and a big turbo etc it was just mapped by Steve Sadler about 2 hours before this and was running just over 300ps. We recon a valve is gone and hes planning on buying rocker stoppers.. is there any point then?..

He's less technically minded than Iam so theres a few people looking for this for him, will he has previously posted.. have to strip it right down to check the bottom end for bits and bobs?