What's new

Power FC or boost controller

B

BOOSTED

So I've been looking a boost controllers and have seen some I like but they are around the $800-1000 mark and I was just thinking would it be worth it instead of getting a boost controller, just going to whole hog and grabbing an after market like the fc?

they control boost dont they?

would it be worth it on a stock car with future mods on the horizon?

cheers

D

Dizz

So I've been looking a boost controllers and have seen some I like but they are around the $800-1000 mark and I was just thinking would it be worth it instead of getting a boost controller, just going to whole hog and grabbing an after market like the fc?

they control boost dont they?

would it be worth it on a stock car with future mods on the horizon?

cheers
When buying a Power FC they don't actually control boost as standard, they will monitor it alright & adjust fueling etc but can't actually be used for controlling the boost. For this you need an additional Power FC boost controller kit which you can get from Nengun or the likes for about €285 shipped. Be warned though the quality isn't as good as alternatives such as the Greddy Profec B systems etc so most people get the Power FC and seperate boost controller from another manufacturer ;)

B

BOOSTED

yeah I'd get the hand controller too

so you cant control the boost with the fc? I thought you could :confused:

subzero

Reaction score
you will need a power fc anyways dude/ an after market ecu of some sort .... as you risk detonating your engine .

a 2nd hand boost controller could be picked up handy enough.

B

BOOSTED

hmm I see, so looks like I'll need both anyway

one more question, does the fc let you keep the s15's vvt?

subzero

Reaction score
the power fc is a direct replacement for the std ecu , its just the fc can be programmed to the exact spec of the car . ie power upgrades. ( any thing from exhaust , decat, air filters will alter it)

B

BOOSTED

yeah, but what yous are saying is that I need to get a boost solenoid anyway to control the boost, either the fc one or by buying an other boost controller

Reaction score
power fc and the boost control kit are fine, currently running one in my s15 and one in my s14a. Its true tho that the likes of the apexi avcr allow more options to control boost then the apexi boost control kit

B

BOOSTED

well if I have to buy the solenoid anyway for the fc I might as well get a boost controller

M

Matt_S

well if I have to buy the solenoid anyway for the fc I might as well get a boost controller
Err, You dont have to buy the boost control kit. The Power FC and hand controller are just an ECU and a hand controller to adjust functions etc from within the car (without a laptop).
The BC Kit plugs into the ECU and into the solenoid. The solenoid goes between the turbo and actuator (as on all Boost controllers).
The Power Fc then lets you have 4 boost level options, preset.
Its OK. Run one on mine without issue and I didnt want the car too cluttered so specifically went for the BC kit.
But compared to like an APexi AVC-R where you can have different boost levels in each gear, different boost maps (how it comes in etc), the BC Kit is very crude. It literally lets you have ONE boost level (per setting) and brings it in as hard as it can, bleeding off whats not needed.
The AVC-R would be good on my car, limiting boost in the lower gears to prevent wheelspin etc. (But saying that, it lights up at low boost anyway :wack: :D )

B

BOOSTED

ah I see, so the fc can control boost but it's limited?

where's a bc lets you do more things?

(sorry this is my first turbo car :eek:)

M

Matt_S

Yeh. The AVC-R and the BC Kit both use the same solenoid, but the FCs ability to control it is limited to just 'on' or 'off' with preset levels of boost.

N

nices15man

hey man you do realise you can get greddy profec b II boost controllers for like $400?
in your original post ot said the cheapest you saw was like 800..
they hold awesome boost
but dont have the features of the apexi avc-r, which is good to have, but i wouldnt really say nessicary as your car is reasonable stock atm isnt it?

B

BOOSTED

yeah that's true, but imo when you mod a car you have to think about future plans not just what you need now

Reaction score
I wouldn't be putting a boost controller on until you upgraded your IC. You are limited to 12psi on a stock car. I put my Blitz DSBC and Power FC in at the same time,then had it tuned for each boost setting. Your AFR's will be all over the place if you don't. If you get a stand alone boost controller get one with a dual solenoid,they hold boost accurately and stop spiking.
It is also very easy to move between boost settings with the controller:)

N

nices15man

+1 for not boosting until you get a decent front mount
i had fmic, exhaust and boost controller fitted the same time

B

BOOSTED

but on the stock turbo wouldnt that increase lag?

is there a boost cut with the factory ecu?

N

nices15man

ha not really man, like yea a tiny amount but not noticable AT all
stock turbo spools fast as fark anyway.
but obvoisly gonna be counteracted by the power you will gain from being able to boost it higher, im currently runnin 1 bar (high) on stock turbo with just ehaust, front mount an pod pretty much.
pretty fun to dive atm