What's new

what kind of power..?

N

nices15man

hey guys
ive heard a few different numbers in relation to what power i should expect from what im gonna fit to my car.. just though id ask yous and get a definative answer!

current power mods:
-greddy 3" cat back
-x force high flow steel cat
-blitz front pipe
-tomei dump
-greddy profec b II
-greddy fmic+hotpipe

parts im fitting:
-garret 2871r .64 housing .56 trim
-tomei poncams
-tomei rockerstoppers
-tomei 740cc inj
-apexi power fc djetro
-walbro 255 fuel pump
-exedy hyper single clutch

talkin BHP (atw)
like some people i know with s15's have told me i should expect about 350
but then one workshop told me id struggle to make 290?
then the workshop i will be getting it fitted in told me he wouldnt wanna go higher than 300-310?
honestly i was aiming for 330, i thought i would achieve this easily having all the quallty supporting mods but now i dont know..

btw im waiting for the djetro harness, reason it all isnt on yet :)

Reaction score
Country
i've been building up my s15 with very similar mods and was given basically the same numbers as you.
from what i understand, 300-310 is a fair number without tuning nor raising boost, 350-375 if you raise boost, good tune, and high octane fuel.

but then again, this what i was told by a japanese mechanic.... and did i mention i don't speak much japanese???

N

nices15man

hahahahaha so true, man i wish i had have taken japanese in school instead of italian!
but yea im all for raising boost and paying for tune..maybe 330 isnt so far away

S

SherlockHomeboy

300 sounds reasonable without tuning.

I swaped out my turbo recently and had similar results. I was running almost stock previously with only a FMIC and HKS Hi Power exhaust. My mechanic slapped on a 2871r, walboro, manifold, turbo elbow/downpipe and a decat. He put it on the rollers afterwards he did all that without any other tweaks and it showed around 300bhp (298 to be precise).

M

Matt_S

Ditch the pncams and go for 260 deg procams. Save a little more and get a set of uprated springs too.
That way you might squeeze (or have potential to) over 350bhp.

Cams and springs is what holds mine back - which is running the following:
Manifold
Full 3" system
HKS GTRS turbo @ 1.4 bar (350bhp @the fly - 300bhp @ the wheels)
GReddy FMIC and hardpipe kit
APEX hard inlet pipe
Z32 AFM / Apexi Filter
Apexi Power FC/boost control kit
Nismo 740cc Inj
Tomei 1.2mm MHG
Splitfire Coils
Lightweight pulley kit
LIghtweight flywheel/twinplate clutch

I personally wouldnt run a car above stock boost without getting it mapped properly.

Reaction score
Country
Matt - Do you reckon its worth going for Cams and springs with the standard tubbie @ 1.2 Bar ? Im just thinking of what i can do to get more power with another remap without increasing boost and going for MHG. Plus i love the GT28R as its supa dupa fast spooling :)

Reaction score
Country
So GT2871 + above then ?

Tbh i may even just stick with what i have, its plenty of power that i hardly get to use anyway. That way i can spend the money on the garage and get a decent track car....oh and save for the wedding :rolleyes:.

N

nices15man

yea matt the poncams where more of a supporting mod buy for me cause i wasnt really lookin to get springs and that.. do you think i would make 330bhp on poncams..?

sherlockhomeboy- thats excactly what i mean! like one workshop told me i woulld struggle to make 290, but you got it with les upgrades and no tune..

M

Matt_S

The std turbo isnt really up to making much over 310-320bhp, so your shop isnt really that wrong. Poncams wouldnt make a lot more power, if any, as youre at the max the turbo can offer.

M

Matt_S

LOL! SOrry. I didnt see it in the spec :wack:

Well, I have the HKS GT RS - which apparently is almost the same as the 2871.
ANd mine makes 350 on std cams at 1.4 bar.

N

nices15man

1.4 bar is alot of boost! do you think it would be worth gettin a metal head gasket aswell? i think i read on another thread anything over 1.2 wasnt it..?

M

Matt_S

1.4 bar is alot of boost! do you think it would be worth gettin a metal head gasket aswell? i think i read on another thread anything over 1.2 wasnt it..?
LOL! Its not really!

But I have a MHG ;)

The MHG will allow you to run a little more ignition in the map too

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i cant comment on a 2871r without poncams, but i have them fitted with uprated valve springs and a tomei mhg running 1.4 bar (until the box has proved itself, then perhaps ill run a little more) on a 2871r .64 52trim. no figure to provide yet but i can say despite having an unsolved vibration problem since getting the car back (more to do with the new clutch i think), the car pulls hard now right up to the redline instead of running out of puff at around 4.5-5k on the 28r with stock cams. the poncams/big injectors do unsettle the idle just a little, but its perfectly acceptable.

the setup made the power a lot more progressive and evenly spread out than before, spool is down over the 28r but not by much - just a little laggier (if thats a word:)). also because the power is fed in differently i find the car holds in a straight line instead of tryng to flick like when i had the 28r, but this doesnt stop it spinning in a straight line in first through fourth in the dry and damp, sometimes fifth on a wet day:wack:

if you get it done, take it easy - it will be a bit of a naughty thing:thumbs:

N

nices15man

dean- yea man ive got poncams to put on aswell.. how much power are you making atm?,.. hahah and yea cheers for the heads up man! ill def be goin easy for a bit when i get it back! cant wait..

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i havent got a figure yet, took it to the rolling road but there was a problem with them on me and jez's turn, so we couldnt come away with a figure - or one that made sense anyway. i'm expecting 350+, it certainly feels very quick - the old setup was around 300 on the t28r and this would absolutely mulrder the car as it was then.:D

im going back for another run as soon as the vibration thing is sorted, i can let you know if you like - btw i'd reccomend uprating the springs too as apparently they arent the greatest, whilst your there you may as well do that;)

N

nices15man

yea let us know man! haha sweeet man your makin me even more exited to get it back!
id love to get better springs and bigger cams but i think ive spent enough in one hit with all of this haha,
also gonna buy a metal head gasket to throw on now aswell..

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
better make sure your clutch is up to the job too mate:nod: