What's new

Engine oil

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Just wondering what oil (grade and brand etc) you are all running in your S15's? I've been using shell Helix 10W-40 for the last few oil changes..

Cheers, Craig

:)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i use millers cfs fully synthetic 5w40 - very good stuff apparently. jez has put silkolene pro s in it at the moment, but i'll soon go back to the millers, good value at about 34quid for 5 litres.

Reaction score
Silkolene ProS 10W-50 (50= high viscosity for heavy use at high temps) but need some now and Apex look like they've stopped selling the kits they did (oil+filter = easy). Where's good value?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've just had a look around and may get Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 instead

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yea, I've been looking around and it appears that a lot of people use the Silkoline Pro S in the SR20's.

Just been looking into the millers too dean, but then got distracted by millers octane booster! :wack: Where do you get it from at that price?

:)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
theres a company near me called rally design, if you google them, they do deliver next day:)

M

Matt_S

For a daily driver (used on short trips) I wouldnt use anything heavier than a 10W40. We used to use the Silkolene Pro R 10W60 (IIRC) in the drift car cos its awesome at high temps. But for daily driving its too heavy.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Castrol edge sport 5w-30

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Shall I be controvertial? Unless you're taking it round the track, ANY 5/10W40/50 fully synth will do. And don't think you need to change it every 3k (miles) either. 6k is absolutely fine these days. If you don't believe me, become an SXOC member and read the professional SXOC oil analysis lab reports...

Reaction score
Country
Im currently using Planet 5W40 fully synthetic. Cost me like £15 for 5 litres but thats trade price, reccommended retail is about £20-£25. Its bottled by Comma, has all the approvals of top brands and aimed for trade use as garages can then charge £60 for a oil change making a tidy profit on consumables :)

I change mine every 6 months and even thats a bit of an overkill imo but its such an easy job (with my relocation kit) and cheap when im buying such discounted oil theres no reason for me to skip it.

I do find it amusing when i see people pay out for super expensive branded oil to then change it every 6 months or less! Yet these are some of the same people that are too tight to pay for a proper geometry alignment or get their car properly mapped, just seems odd to me :wack:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It was the only synthetic I could get when I did the last oil change, so I kinda got stuck with it. It's seen a couple of trackday in the last couple of months. I haven't had any problems.