What's new

rough idle and BOV issue

B

bill96

hey guys and girls,
i have a problem with my s15, if anyone could help it would be much appreciated. Anyways, my problem is that the idle is a bit rough. Not ridiculously rough and its not that noticible i only notice it because i drive her all the time, its almost like it feel like shes missing slightly...is it possible that it could be sensor maybe O2 sensor? im not sure? what should i check?

The other thing thats worrying me is that my BOV its a turbosmart veeport, isnt opening up at low rpm so i get heaps of turbo flutter which i originally thought was the BOV opening and closing rapidly, but on closer inspection its compressor surge. However on high rpm and on boost the BOV works fine. Is this normal for the BOV? why isnt she opening at low rpm is there a prob with my vacumm line? Mind you BOV is on loosest tension setting

any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys/girls

B

bill96

cheers for the link mate, i read through the thread and decided to take of my BOV and reconnect the stock recirculation valve. she isnt running rich anymore, my exhaust tip ist black lol, and the small back fires have stopped, feels like shes running real smooth, however feels like ive lost power.....

i dragged a 94 wrx twice the other day and beat him both times by 3/4 of a car length with the BOV on, dragged my mates integra type R last night now that i have the recirculation valve on and struggled of the line to keep up, started catching him at the end of 2nd goin on to 3rd????????

no effense to integra especially typre R but blow me down...how could i not destroy him

N

nices15man

yea ive still got mine hooked up atm, i reckon its the ducks nuts hvin it set up like that! cause you get the flutter at low rev releases and bov at high, but its up to you i guess!... i wouldnt say it'd do a thing to the power output but bro

ps im pretty sure you can get recirc adaptors for that model of turbosmart bov, if you still wanted to use it that is

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
i have mine vented to air, I'm running a HKS SSQ

i have no problems at all, it runs fine and idles fine.

I have been to Jez at Horsham developments since it was fitted,
he said my car was running fine :D

B

bill96

Cheer for that fellas, it didnt bother me too much about the idle and backfires, even once i realised it was turbo flutter.....but you know when you just has a sh*thouse day and every little thing bothers ya lol, it was one of those days so changed it over. As for the integra, im gonna rotate my front tyres with the back ones get a bit more traction and smoke it lol, only cause i caught him by about half way through second and was just infront by the time i hit 3rd, and he puts on the brakes and says he won when we didnt even crack 110kmh lol.....oh well

B

bill96

As for the BOV the sr20det's come out with a MAF metre which is just behind the pod/airfilter, so by realesing the air to the atmosphere the air/fuel mixture is rich, hence the backfire, black puff of smoke, etc....what i dont understand is why should that effect the idle, on idle the BOV should be closed (correct me if im wrong), so whether the valve is releasing to the atmosphere or recirculating, theres no air lost in the sytem, therefore why the rough idle?

N

nices15man

yea its not so much in issue with the idle, its when you put the clutch in when the revs are medium to high it tries to stall, which yea is because of the stock afm.. gettin djetro will fix :):)

N

nices15man

well its not on mine anyway..

are you runnin DJetro kimi??

im seriously thinknin bout recircin mine aye... ahhhh i dunnooo. to hard to think about hahah

Last edited: