What's new

checking spec r for probs

V

vti_coupw

hey folks if everything goes to plan i could be looking at a spec r this week, is there anything specifically i should look for? i know the usual previos accident damage and that, but how can i tell while on a test drive if there is anything wrong etc,
looking forward to your replies
dave

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
check the usual under chassis for corrosion mate - pay attention to the rear subframe but to be honest if its not been here long that shouldnt be a problem.

look for oil leaks particularly under the turbo area (coolant leaks here also) and on the front timing case. all the usual oil, smoky exhaust, rust, brake pads checks apply - look for badly/unevenly worn tyres, door, bonnet, boot shuts line up.....

look for signs that its been meddled with and put back to standard ie. screw holes in the dash, non standard looking hoses in the engine bay and whatnot. check the box is not noisy and works well same as the rear diff (can make a little noise but shouldnt be bad) and check clutch doesnt slip. gear changes should be smooth, but can be a little notchy when moving off from cold.

listen for knocking suspension, make sure it doesnt pull to one side when driving.......

mainly see that it drives well. if its sat ticking over when you get there ask why.....could be trying to hide something. if standard turbo should come in smoothly and progressively with no smoke from the exhaust - shouldnt really kick you. keep an eye on the temp gauges and warnings (make sure they all work with ignition on)

listen for vvt rattle (a top end rattle that is there when cold is common and not necesarily a deal breaker, but if its there all the time it could be an expensive problem)

bear in mind its very rare to find an s15 that hasnt had some form of repair done so dont let a well repaired car put you off or you may be looking forever......but if its been repaired badly or extensively id walk

thats my bit, think ive covered most things, there arent many s15 specific things - apart from the drive and checking the engine over most things are pretty generic checks you' make anyway - im bound to of forgot something and there are far more knowledgable people than me on here so hang about for some more replies:thumbs:
good luck!

S

Scotty

Notch into second gear, vct rattle on startup.

noisey input shaft in neutral, (not a big issue)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
TBH, I'd be very surprised if it DIDN'T have VCT (or VVT as its also known) rattle at (cold) startup. You only really need to worry about it if it does it at other times. Its caused by either a tired solenoid or tired springs in the sprocket. One is cheap to replace, the other is fooking expensive. Either way, its very common and not harmful. Just annoying.