What's new

Clutch slipping?

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys,

I want to get your opionion on a symptom of a fault on my car..

For a few months now I have had what I can only describe as a slight slip of the clutch when the car initially comes onto boost at about 3000rpms. It was a split second slip of maybe 200rpms and then it was gone. At first I put it down the Apexi ATS Silencer I have in the tailpipe, as i thought perhaps it was opening quickly under back pressure and releasing the restrictions as i planted my foot?

Well, in the past couple of weeks the split second slip has turned into about a 2 second slip, as boost comes on around the same point. I guess it probably slips 500-750rpms and then goes back to normal and holds all the way through the rev range even on max boost of 1.1bar?? (NB: as far as I am aware the car has a standard clutch?)

This is the bit I cant get my head round, if the clutch was going to slip surely it would slip continuously all the way to the red line (or until I lifted off) and not just a ~500rpm slip and then hold for the rest of the power curve?

Am I missing something? Has anyone experienced this before, could it be the Apexi ATS doing something strange? Is it the clutch? Or should i be checking something else?

What do people think?

Thanks
Als

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
sounds like the clutch mate, normally if its on its way out it will slip at the point where its put under heavy load. coming on to boost would be one of these points. i test for this when buying a car by putting the car in fourth gear early and planting the pedal and seeing if it slips......

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like the clutch to me too, go along about 20mph, put the clutch down, rev it then dump the clutch (basically try and wheel spin it) You will then see and hear the slip.

Concerning the slip all the way to the red line, think about wheel spin... Say if your car spins up in second, will it spin all the way to the red line? no, (unless it's silly power) It's just basic friction! :thumbs:

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, yeah I know what you mean, in a n/a car i would stick it in 4th/5th at low revs and put my foot down to see if the clutch slips...
If i do this in the 15, it doesnt slip at all off boost - thats fine, it only ever slips when the boost comes in but it's different in all gears though... and then after the initial slip it's fine..

In fact it is more like this:
1st (from low revs)- clutch slips 200-300rpms
2nd (from low revs)- clutch slips 400-600rpms
3rd (from low revs)- clutch slips 500-750rpms
4th (from low revs)- clutch slips 500-750rpms
5th (from low revs)- clutch slips 300-400rpms
6th (from low revs)- clutch slips 300-400rpms

With the BC off I can only sense a slight slip, but if I wasnt looking for it I probably wouldn't notice...

What do you reckon, still a normal sign that the clutch is on its way out??

If so what clutch would people recommend for my daily / fast road driver with these mods:

BTW: I dont want anything that makes the car less comfortable or harder to drive tbh...

FMIC
Induction kit
Blitz frontpipe
Apexi GT exhaust with Apexi ATS Silencer
Decat
Walbro Fuel pump
BC running high setting 1.12 bar
Jez custom remap for the above

Cheers
Als

J

Jpower

Yep definitely the clutch. If you're on a stocker clutch it will slip start slipping as you boost it up.

Go a Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch. It'll retain stock feel, yet clamp harder so there will be no slipping.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jpower,

I deffinitely want an uprated clutch that is as close to the stock feel as possible, with the least amount of cons (noise, hard to drive, heavier peddle etc as possible).

Searching on here is seems the ACT heavy duty organic are quite similar, what are people's opinions on these.. which would people choose?

ACT heavy duty organic
Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch
Other?

From what I have read an S14 clutch is the same and S15, is that right, so i can buy any S14 ACT clutch from Apex for example? Or do I need to source one specific for the S15?

Also what are the pros/cons of replacing the flywheel at the sametime? What does this do to driveability and/or performance, any other benefits? I heard that this can increase the noise from the drivetrain? My car has done 54,000miles, is this really necessary?

Cheers for the responses, and apologies for all the questions!!
Als

G

gunner93

Welcome to the world of noisy aftermarket clutches... :rotfl:
Btw S14 and S15 clutches are different.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
oh great that bad aye!!

What's peoples opinions on the quiestest, feels like stock clutch upgrade then?

Welcome to the world of noisy aftermarket clutches... :rotfl:
Btw S14 and S15 clutches are different.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Think I'll go for a Exedy organic clutch and keep the stock fly...

J

Jpower

Think I'll go for a Exedy organic clutch and keep the stock fly...
That'll be the best option. Go with a higher clamping clutch plate and sports organic clutch disc.

Pedal will feel slightly lighter and springier. It will also clamp nice and won't slip.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do people think it is worth replacing the Clutch line and clutch fluid at the same time?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i am and would recommend it as they are working on it already, it would be a lot easier to do it at the same time....

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Got a call from Jez yesterday with some bad news... When the gearbox came off the spigot ring fell out in bits!!! :annoyed: He reckons it was badly installed or has some how been destroyed by other means?? This has in turn warn the centre of the OEM flywheel badly, and it needs replacing!!

As i have the service history for the car from the UK (no mention there of a clutch change, i am assuming this was in Japan!)

Does anyone have an OEM flywheel going spare if I need it? I am going to post in the wanted section too!

I think i have talked myself out of a perfromance fly, due to the cons mentioned on here and the SXOC... (ie: More Noise, vibration, harder to drive in traffic (stalls easily?? etc etc)

More money to spend now!!:mad:

Looking on the bright side at least the car is good hands whilst getting all of this done...:thumbs:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
dont go taking up too much of his time yet mate, i need him to finish mine first lol:)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Dean are you the one getting a Exedy Hyper single and Fly fitted today then?
yes mate, and a whole host of other crap:nod:

ive spoke to jez about the flywheel as he enquired on your behalf, i dont really want to let go of it just in case i needed to go back to an organic down the line, but if the exedy one that came with the hyper kit can take a regular fitment clutch ill let you know as i probably wont require it any more

so what you having done then?

ps. is my car in a mess did you notice - im really missing it:(

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well if you decide you dont want it then please let me know... I am hunting for one now, due to this thread ^^ and not wanting to replace the OEM fly, took me a while to decide that and now I am stuck trying to source one from Japan or SXOC/S15OC.. or making the hard decision of whether to install the same as you, and take the risk on the noise/vibration/driveability and comfort factors of the car changing...:rant:

I didnt see your one down there when i dropped mine down on Wednesday, it was probably in the other building that he has... Mine will be there when you go to get your though (no doubt!!)

I am missing my 15 too, just want it back on the road asap, but in the best form for me...

Nothing is ever simple is it! :annoyed:

Als

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
your telling me mate, as far as i know the engine and box are out of mine at the moment - but according to jez the engines finished, so hes probably shifted the car somewhere else. as for the hyper single - according to gary at apt who i got it from its no noisier than the standard item, a little heavier and will take some getting used to on the foot, but mine is no longer a daily car now......

at first mine was meant to be gone a week, so far its been nearly three because of a couple of issues with parts. im really bored not having it as i always go and have a tinker when ive nothing else to do. im even considering popping up there to clean the engine bay while the engines out and pick up the standard bits ive sold, but its a pretty long drive for me:(