What's new

exhaust pop and bad idle

N

nices15man

hey does anyone know why my exhaust pops between gear changes and when i take my foot off the accelerator? not all the time just sometimes and sometimes its HELLL loud.. also when im pulling up with the clutch in it always tries to stall? like idles down really bad and if i give it a bit then put the clutch in it will nearly always stall.... im thinking it needs a tune badly maye??

Reaction score
Country
/\/\/\ + 1 Sounds like symtpons of overfueling caused by an atmos BOV. Does the car seem to be running low on power ?

Reaction score
Country
a leaky dump valve or one open to atmosphere can cause your car to stal too. i had all the same issues when i first installed my dump valve(BOV).

N

nices15man

umm i couldnt really say if it was runnin low on power cause i had like bov exhaust fmic an profec b fitted at once.. but it seems to be a little worse since i put a metal cat in which makes me think its tunning? but shurely you can run an atmo bov without this happening??

N

nices15man

i wouldnt say it was running "really" low on power anyway, like under boost and normal idle it sounds smooth

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The BOV will almost certainly be causing the problem. Without a full remap, you are never going to sort the fuelling. And, yes, a free-flow exhaust and cat will add to the popping. If you could see your tailpipe, you'd probably see you're throwing flames :p

As stated, fitting a recirculating BOV will sort most of the bad overfuelling. BOVs are all very nice if you like the :ghey: sound, but they don't help smooth running and fuelling one bit when they vent to atmosphere.

N

nices15man

hahaha cheers for the fag comment nicely!!.. im gettin ecu and turbo and **** soon anyway so that should sort it out yes?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
No worries. Always like people to know what's going through the minds of pedestrians when someone drives past making pssht noises! :D :p Yep, the ECU will help, but it won't overcome the overfuelling on lift-off. It just won't be as bad.

Reaction score
Country
If you really want a atmos BOV then you really need an ECU that can replace the MAF sensor with a MAP sensor to measure the air flow/pressure. Something like a custom mapped Apexi PFC + DJetro will do the trick but isnt worth it imo. The standard re-circ valve is fine and can be easily modded so solve a small issue with it leaking at high boost.

N

nices15man

yea i thought that, djetro and a few other goodies are chillin in my room at the moment.. just gotta decide what turbo to get! cheers fellas