What's new

Newby needs advice - be gentle

Reaction score
Country
Okay,

So i want to buy my first S15 but i have never had a RWD car or even one with a turbo so this is a great step up and if i love it as much as i think i will i won't ever sell the car.

Time to sound a tool :eek:, I love the noises of the cars in the fast and the furious and before you say anything I know a lot of it is hollywood trickery but its the pppsssssstt every time you change gear that i particularly like. I thought this was produced from a dump valve attached to the turbo but i read a lot about these blow off valves and then my bro was telling me about a screamer pipe which does as the name suggests as you get into the high revs :annoyed::annoyed: I have no idea and would really appreciate some advice on what all these do and the noises they make!!!! Cheers guys.:)

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
the psssht noise is from an atmospheric dump valve. the S15 has a recirculating dump valve on it as standard which is silent. easy to switch. Screamer pipe just makes your exhaust very load at the higher revs

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
A screamer pipe separates the air from the turbo actuator and vents it straight out to the atmosphere instead of the stock setup where it's vented into the exhaust.

With a screamer pipe you'll get a jet engine kinda sound when boost is high enough so the actuator starts to regulate boost.

Just search for screamer pipe on youtube and you should get a good idea about sound.

An atmos BOV can sometimes make the car idle bad and run rich.
Before going BOV get a nice pod filter and see how you like that sound. The S15 with a pod filter and stock recirc makes a fluttering noise which I think is better. Everytime I hear that pschhht noise from an atmo BOV I think of tuned Volvos or SAABs

Reaction score
Country
A screamer pipe separates the air from the turbo actuator and vents it straight out to the atmosphere instead of the stock setup where it's vented into the exhaust.

With a screamer pipe you'll get a jet engine kinda sound when boost is high enough so the actuator starts to regulate boost.

Just search for screamer pipe on youtube and you should get a good idea about sound.

An atmos BOV can sometimes make the car idle bad and run rich.
Before going BOV get a nice pod filter and see how you like that sound. The S15 with a pod filter and stock recirc makes a fluttering noise which I think is better. Everytime I hear that pschhht noise from an atmo BOV I think of tuned Volvos or SAABs

So is the BOV the same thing as a dump valve, just called something different?? I think i'll take each mod step by step so i get too know how my car sounds and then take the necessary steps to get the performance and noise just how i'd like it. You tube is a good idea though, will definately be checking that out!!!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
bov just stands for blow off valve, which is a dump valve.
id say get the car first mate, dont even worry about tuning it until youve driven it a couple of months or you could get into trouble.
if its noises you like then the pidgeon mod might be for you, (pidgeon mod is like a swearword around here but some people love it...) this is not the best thing in the world for your car but it makes the turbos compressor surge wildly making a mad flutter noise along with big pops from the exhaust and some flames. the novelty i've no doubt would wear off over time though and before long you will be more focused on performance....it will get you in the end and when that happens welcome to skint street lol

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm not being funny, but you may be better off buying a S14 if your main concern is a RWD car that has a BOV.

S15's in the UK are virtually all owned by true enthusiasts and this is reflected in many ways. From what you wrote in your first post initially indicates you’re not too familiar with the general setup. You may be better off starting with a S14, seeing how you get on, then upgrading to a S15 in the future if all goes well. I'm not trying to put you off getting a S15, just being realistic and hopefully given you something to think about.

:thumbs:

Reaction score
will also save you a packet if you only want RWD with boost.

I personally wasn't an enthusiast when i got mine, just saw one, and thought "they look great, i must have one!" LOL

Reaction score
if all you want is fast and furious noises dont spunk 9-10k on a perfectly great S15 and end up stacking it into a tree after a few weeks

as said above, does your reason for buying one warrant spending the extra over and above the price of a decent S14

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I went stright to a S15 having never driven a turbo or RWD before :)

The only thing that goes through my mind when I hear a dump valve is CHAV!

Its much more cool to have turbo chatter.

My advice is to learn about how a turbo system work and then you will be able to answer all these questions yourself.

Go and research things like waste gate, waste gate actuator, boost solinoid, blow off valves, intercoolers, turbine, compressor and general information about turbo systems.

This is quite a good diagram that will show you the basics link

If you really want an S15 then you will get one, but getting your head around the car is a must :thumbs:

Good luck

Darren

Reaction score
Country
I went stright to a S15 having never driven a turbo or RWD before :)

The only thing that goes through my mind when I hear a dump valve is CHAV!

Its much more cool to have turbo chatter.

My advice is to learn about how a turbo system work and then you will be able to answer all these questions yourself.

Go and research things like waste gate, waste gate actuator, boost solinoid, blow off valves, intercoolers, turbine, compressor and general information about turbo systems.

This is quite a good diagram that will show you the basics link

If you really want an S15 then you will get one, but getting your head around the car is a must :thumbs:

Good luck

Darren
Cheers Darren,

Good to get some nicer comments on this thread, after all i was only after advice. I don't drive like a knob and have experience of RWD drive cars through my friends and my brothers first car was an S13, I don't like the older looks of this or the styling of the S14 although the S14b does look okay but its the stand out good looks of the S15 that make me want one and i will not be dicking around in such a rare nice car so the trees won't be a problem, i drive my car hardish but alrways respect my limits and those of the road around me.

Besides i can only judge my desire for the S15 on looks and performance figures and the reliabilty of the jap engine, surely only after buying the machine and living with it and personalising it could i become a "true enthusiast".

I am quite upset that on what appears a friendly forum i asked what i though was a simple question for a newbie to ask advice but to be met with such annomosity is astounding, I have been a "true enthusisast" of my FTO for a long time and never on that forum would I have got such a response.

Thanks to those who took the time to explain the differences and Darren for the link, interesting bedtime reading :nod:. I will still be getting an S15 and i am still really looking forward to it.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
relax mate.......i dont think anyone was trying to be horrible, its just that dump valves are quite frowned upon in the sr20det engine community as they dont actually do it any good at all - i myself found that out after fitting one, i love the sound of it but it doesnt do anything but make a nice noise and cause the engine to overfuel on lift off. this is a good club with masses of good info for people that need it and it doesnt charge a subscription, i just sometimes think people forget that they were a newbie too at some point and could easily have been shown up had they asked the wrong questions!!!!;)

as for the fto club, i still frequent that forum but im afraid to say that there are a fair few idiots on there compared to here now due to the low price of the cars and the fact that people can sell thier puntos and saxos and buy an fto with the money!!!

if you want an s15, get one mate - and when you have one and come back on here you will soon become familiar with what they are all about, what to do and what not to do.

just dont break the cardinal rule and mention the fast and the furious!!!:thumbs:

good luck fiinding a good one, theres actually a lovely one for sale here for a good price http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?t=4232.
good luck!

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I don't think anyone was having a dig at you mate, just offering good advice.. You seem to have taken the advice offered by us the wrong way, but as Dean mentioned, no offence was intended by anyone, so no need to get upset about it..

Reaction score
Country
No worries gents, i will not darken this forum again with discussions around fast & furios noises or atmospheric BOVs!!! ;)

I would never want to install anything into the S15 that would be detrimental to the engine, the sound of turbo chatter and a high quality induction kit does sound like a nice combination as you Darren mentioned.

I want to get parts that will only improve the car such as Tein suspension, some nice Bride seats and harnesses, and definately a really clean shiny engine bay with a nicely painted engine cover.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The turbo chatter you refer to is technically speaking, compressor surge. It happens when there is a large build up of pressure between the inlet side of the turbo, and the throttle body. This build up of pressure has no-where to go, so exhausts itself back thru the turbo, thus making the pigeon noise. This sounds much better than a BOV IMO, but it is more likely to cause damage than a BOV. I think it’s fairly rare for people to have problems though unless you’re running a lot of boost..

Reaction score
Country
My S15 will have to be my daily driver initially as I can't afford two cars and the motorbike, theres only so much tax i can splash out on!!!!

With it being a daily driver what is a safe or sensible bhp figure?? I was thinking of uprating the turbo and some of the engine internals, induction kit, new intercooler and associated hard pipe kit, standard upgrades. I was thinking somewhere between 300 - 350 bhp. The standard SR20DET is about 270-280 on the S15 if i read Wikipedia correctly!!!!!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
standard is 250bhp, a little over 300 is well within reach with .....

electronic boost controller
uprated fuel pump
free flowing turbo back exhaust
pod filter
frount mount intercooler
z32 air flow meter
better/colder plugs
maybe some injectors
and
a remap to tie it all in.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Dont forget though its all very well getting your car up to 300BHP+ but if also need to spend money on Brakes, Suspension (I know you mentioned that), Alignment Arms, & Chassis Stiffening or you will end up with a powerful car that handels like a dog :nod:

D

dss15

My two cents, which I think will help in your early decisions..

My s15 is my daily drive. If you're buying this as your only car please read...

I bought it with an atmospheric BOV (this means it blows off to the atmosphere, much louder) and I recirculated it (sends it back to the air intake) which is quieter.. shuts it up a little, still get to hear it though. I still found it annoying as a daily drive hearing it over.. and over.. and over... the novely wears off (believe it or not!) Plus you look like a dick in daily 9-5 traffic psshting all over the place for no reason.

Stock turbo with an aftermarket BOV will blow off quietly even recirced' at about 2800 RPM - who doesn't reach that at almost every gear? You'll find the BOV draws attention from the cops and the wrong type of wannabe street racers. I have it set to a very tight position, which means I get wastegate chatter (more of a ... chchchchcht noise, quieter, won't hurt the turbo at low revs) instead of it dumping.

I suggest youtube'ing various types of BOV's to see which sound you like best and then going for it though, in the first few weeks you'll crank it just to hear it in every gear. Enjoy it :)

S15's are a great choice, but with added new electrics, more stuff can go wrong, be ready to become an A1 mechanic!

Best of luck and let us know how you go with the buy!

Reaction score
Country
Id reccomend either modifying the original re-circ valve by blocking the bleed hole or investing in a Forge re-circ valve for best performance and minimal noise.