What's new

Disadvantage of having Brembo?

S

silviac

Since I have R34 GTR brembo calipers sitting in my room for half a year i wonder if it's worth putting it along with discs, lines, rear Z32 or R32 conversion and master cylinder...

she's putting around 200kw atw...

i think it might be ok with just brake pad change for ocassion track use but with the cost of converting whole brake set up i wonder if it's worth it.... plus on going cost of GTR brake pad!!!

any thoughts?

Reaction score
I say do it. I ran around with Brembo's on just the front for a couple of years, and whilst they are good, once the rears went on, the car would brake alot leveller (ie it wouldn't nose dive when jumping on the brakes) and it feels more composed now when braking.

Reaction score
Country
What They Say......... Do it

i've done it..
cant fault them on performance...
If not performance the looks:thumbs::cool:

yes brembo disk are expensive, brake pads are expensive... sure tuning is expensive anyway.

good luck, not easy gathering all the parts..

S

silviac

ok to borrow Ray's spec...

Front
Brembo - R34 GTR front Calipers

Project Mu - SCR Slit 324mm Dia. x 30mm Vented Discs

Rear
Brembo R34 GTR Rear Calipers

Brembo - 296mm Dia. x22mm Vented Discs (z32 discs) GTR size is 300mm Dia. x 22mm
Ferrodo - DS2500

Goodridge - braided hoses all round
Motul - RBF600 dot 4 brake fluid (312degree C boiling point).
nissan - Z32 BMC (BM57)
This is what I need to get right?

I only have one out of all that!!!

Do I need to replace whole rear hub or just caliper and the disc?

Thing i gotta get....

Front disc
rear caliper and pad
rear disc
braided lines
BMC
and Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh

Reaction score
Country
you need the full rear assembly.

I picked up a full rear assembly of a skyline R33 from the scrap yard.
what i got was rear hubs, hand brake assembly, hand brake cables, rear backing plate all still on the rear knuckle.. so all i did was remove the s15 rear knuckle and put on the R33 one no messing with removing the hub from the knuckle. i polybushed my knuckle while it was out.

but all you really need is the.

Rear drum hand brake mechanism assembly.(Z32/S13/R32/R33)
backing plate. (Z32/S13/R32/R33)
r33 hand brake cable. ( r33 will be the closest length cable to the s15)

then you need calipers and disk off R34 ( or what ever you prefer)

Nicely has a really good guide writen up, link on his sig. i pretty much copied that.

pic of the r33 assembly i got

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
One possible downside with bigger brakes is that the unsprung weight is increased. But I think that will be canceled out as the Brembo calipers are aluminium (I think) versus the stock calipers which are cast iron.

Not sure about the weight difference, but the Brembos might actually be lighter even though they're bigger..

So maybe not a downside after all :wack:

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
All depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you're tracking regularly then yes, go for the lot, but if you're just spirited road driving then it's probably not necessary.

I'm unlikely to track mine and am only considering possible larger disk upgrade on the front, such as the 3G kit, which uses the original calipers spaced out a little. I think that'll be fine for road but probably wouldn't cut it on track. I'm not going to do anything with the rears.

Up to you really, horses for courses :D

Reaction score
Country
r34 have bigger discs in diameter and thickness. so compared with s15 they are gonna be heavy to what extent im not sure. do recommend alloy center discs (Split disc) to reduce weight but its gonna cost you.

Last edited:
M

Madrocky

Heard that using R33 front and rear disc and calipers should direct fit into S15. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Reaction score
One possible downside with bigger brakes is that the unsprung weight is increased. But I think that will be canceled out as the Brembo calipers are aluminium (I think) versus the stock calipers which are cast iron.

Not sure about the weight difference, but the Brembos might actually be lighter even though they're bigger..

So maybe not a downside after all :wack:
This data would be interesting. has/can anyone weighed either?? :)

Reaction score
I remember weighing my STD calipers and the Brembo's when I changed mine and from memory the Brembo calipers were about 2kgs lighter than the STD S15 caliper.

I didn't get to weigh the rotor for some reason, but any weight saving is cancelled out by the size of the larger GT-R/Z33 rotor.

Reaction score
interested to know the difference in total. I don't need extra braking power at the moment but do need to remove more heat so its either bigger disc set-up or purely ducting

K

kazama

Do it, fit the Brembos in. Its worth the time, money and hassle.

After I changed to AP Racing 6 pot with DS2500 pads, the car brakes much much better than the standard calipers with 3 different type of pads,
Endless SSS(crap), Race Brakes RB74 (cheap and good) & lastly Endless CCR (good but expensive, still not good enough) .

Also, someone mentioned that the Brembos would be heavier. My 2-piece rotors are way lighter than the stock ones.
Try picking up your stock rotors and you know what I mean. There's so much less unsprung weight with 2piece rotors.

S

silviac

Ditching my old thread now...

Now I'm back to this brake biz

My mate got a Z32 BMC and whole rear assembly. Will whole rear assembly fit like R33? or should I really hunt for R33? I'm hunting one like Ray's so I don't have to undo any messy work...

btw can I use R33 GTST M spec Brake master cylinder and the booster instead?

Last edited:
M

Matt_S

Just remember the bolts on R34 Brembos are 14mm, so you have to either a) drill the hub holes out, or b) do what I did on my S13 and 'timesert' the Brembos. THis involves screwing a thin threaded 'sleeve' into the caliper, then you use your std S15 bolts to bolt them up.
As for the rears, you can use S13 backplates. Probably best anyway, as if you use anything from Z32/R33/R32 GTSt youll have to trim the backplate anyhow. And you KNOW S13 parts are gonna be cheaper!
THink I paid about £20 delivered for S13 internals and backplates.
THen you just need some R33 cables

ANd a day to do it :wack:

M

Matt_S

OH, my bad, didnt read the post aboive :wack:

Just use R33 parts. Z32 are different.