What's new

Turbo Charging a Non Turbo SR20DE

N

n0odlez714

Hey guys, i recently picked up a S15 2000 Type-S non-turbo. Motor is a stock SR20-DE

i wanted to through in a turbocharger, my question is can i buy a stock SR-20DET manifold, turbo,downpipe, and all the oil lines, with a frotn mount intercooler, and through it in, and will it fit, and will it be safe? Thanks sorry for the noob questions.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
it'd probably be cheaper to fit an sr20det, but im sure someone will be able to tell you more......there are quite a few differences between the de and det

Reaction score
Sure there are lots of other details to consider which people will let you know but you would also need to lower the compression ratio. Not sure if you can do so enough with just a thick headgasket so as Dean says it may be cheaper to do a swap especially if you can get the sort of tune you want straightaway

Reaction score
In all honesty its not worth it. Compression ratios are different, you will need a new computer,upgrade the injectors, fuel pump, regulator,longevity of the N/A clutch comes into question,brake upgrade

You will need a boost solenoid,dump valve and have to get it properly tuned. Bottom line, lots of money to spend to get the results:down:

A

Autech_NZ

have a search on nissansilvia.co.nz there are quite a few guys here in nz that have done the DE+t route and consistantly make over 200rwkw. if you do it right with a good tune (very important) then it cant produce some impressive results

S

sams15

Hello guys, bringin back this thread to life. I have a spec S, How hard would it be to swap in a spec R motor in it? Wiring wise, would everything just plug in? I plan on getting the whole motor swap, transmission, ecu, wiring harness. If anybody knows anything let me know please.

M

Matt_S

LOL! Its not the engine thats the aggro! (Theyre the same near as damn it between S14/a and S15). The coils and Inj are the only difference really .
The looms are different between S14, S15 NA and S15 DET tho. Hence the aggro.

S

sams15

I read the whole thread, it looks like he put an s14 SR20DET if im not mistaken? too much hasle with wiring, thats why im looking into putting the jdm s15 Spec R engine in it, I was wondering if anybody has done this if it would just plug in? or would i need to wire everything up like the s14 SR20DET swap?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
it may take a while with some wiring as any engin swap will, but you will save so much money sourcing parts from s14a's already here that you will have plenty left over to deal with some wiring the transmission for s15 6mt will cost more than double that of a 5 speed s14/a tranny for a decent one for starters. id actually use the opportunity to do a bit of a wire tuck and tidy everything up - but thats me.......

S

sams15

Hm good point, well i havent decided yet. I live in the states so s14 engines and s15 Spec R engines are a couple of hundred dollar differences.. Im leaning more towards S15 since it comes with a little more HP gains, from what i hear the turbo is better.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The power differences are down to tuning. The Spec R runs higher boost due to the higher octane fuel available in Japan. In Australia, the Spec R and S (both turbo models in Oz) run the same power as the S14.

Also, the ball bearing turbo was only fitted on JDM S15s between 01/1999 and 10/2000. After that, it was fitted with the same T28 as the S14. All Australia S15s had the non-BB T28 too.