To pillowball or not to pillowball?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Howdy folks :wave:

Just need some advice on pillowballs and geometry stuff...

I'm gonna be ordering a set of Tein Super Street coilovers next week and wanted to know whether it's a MUST have to get the pillowball top mounts straight away?

I will mainly be driving on usual UK bumpy roads and will see the track only 2/3 times a year etc. It's just at the mo, money's a bit tight and wanted to see whether I can fit the pillowball mounts at a later point? Don't have to worry about labour costs cos I'll be fitting all this with a mate :)

Also, if I don't get the pillowballs, does this mean I cannot get camber adjusted for both front and back so does that affect the geometry requirements for a decent handling S15?

Final question - how much of the suspension is adjustable if I only get coilovers and nothing else (like arms etc)?

Cheers,

James :thumbs:

Reaction score
i have pillow ball on the Driftworks set i just fitted, had to have the top mounts as after lowering the car to the height i wanted i had about 3 degree negative camber on the front, the pillow ball allowed me to set it at 1.25,

Before i had the coilovers i had stock dampers and a set of tein lowering springs, this put the camber out big front and rear and there just isn't enough adjustment in the rear camber arms to sort it! so really it depends how low you wanna go....

I'd look at the driftworks CS1's or HSD coilovers (which are the same thing) if your wanting some around the £650 mark, they come with the pillow ball top mounts all in. I think alot of people also use Apex coilovers which are very similar and have the top mounts too! Both of which allow greater ride height adjustment as they are base height adjustable, thing the super streets lower the car by shortening the spring??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
i recommend getting the pillow mounts when getting the coilovers and get rear camber arms... that should be pretty much you need..

front need pillow mounts for camber adjustment.

rear pillow dont have any effect on rear camber.

if you do get coilovers i presume you will be lowering and lowering causes the all the wheel geometry to increase in negative camber. Without pillow mounts and rear camber arms your adjustment will be very limited.

tbh most decent coilover kits have pillow mount included as standard..

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thanks guys :thumbs:

Now I fully understand the whole thing lol...

It happens that I ordered a set of Super Streets with the pillowball mounts yesterday from Camskill :) Only thing is the wait until March before they arrive since S15 items aren't exactly kept in stock :( Please hurry Mr Tein in Japan haha!!

I'm not planning to lower very much since I don't want the slammed issues plus funny tyre wear and unpredictable handling on bumpy roads etc. so it'll be more like -25mm on the front and about -10mm on the rears. I've got +32 17x8 all round so there's no room on the back unless I do lots of neg camber which I don't want.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
-25 on front then -10 on back so you'll be wedging your car. under hard breaking the weights gonna shift forward given more stress on front brakes and a lightened back end.

now try that while cornering ........... opposite lock :eek:..
But that is extreme track.. should be fine for road.