What's new

Quick Q for Matt S

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Matt,

Apologies if you've mentioned this in order threads but I did a search and skimmed through a couple of pages and couldn't find anything.

I see on your spec that you've got a GReddy fmic. I also see you still have your fogs and don't appear to have had to cut your areo bumper at all to get it fitted. Question is, was it a good fit and will all the standard stuff around it be able to remain in place? Presume the battery needs to be swung through 90 degrees, I have a smaller one in mine so room to do that, just hoping that it would fit without visually having to change anything externally.

Thanks mate :)

Reaction score
Country
I have the Apex type 1 FMIC which is a copy of the Greddy unit. I had to trim back a fair bit of my bumper around the fog lights especially on the right hand side of the car. I do still have the fogs but its not a perfect fit so when the weather is better again im going to dremmel it back more. It looks very hit and miss if i can keep the fogs without some kind of modification though.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
its weird how it has so much more of an effect on the full aero bumper, looks like the apertures extend down a bit further than the non aero one. on mine i did have to remove the fogs as there was no way to keep them but because theres enough material there its possible to trim it in a uniform way rather than just where the pipes sit.

considering that they are very likely functionally identical i would go for the apex kit for the money saving involved. thats what i did. also the pipework on the apex is all stainless, the greddy pipework being alloy will go pretty grubby if not well looked after - espescially in this weather. apex do a type 2 kit which doesnt require any cutting and supposedly only needs a minor mod to the back of the fogs so that they can remain, this kit is apparently good for approx 350hp before becoming inneficient........

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
It's all down to how you fit the FMIC.
I managed to keep my fogs with a FMIC, but I had to adjust the location of the intercooler. I lowered it so the pipework went under the fogs. You can also experiment with angles on the IC.

I didn't have to trim anything off my aero front bar.

I'm running an autobahn88 FMIC setup.

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Interesting stuff, thanks guys. If any of you have any pics of your fitments and how they go around the fogs that'd be great.

I'm guessing then that if the intercooler is slanted a bit, similar in fashion to the standard WMIC, it will take up less vertical space and can be adjusted back from the rear of the lights? I'm not looking for huge power by any means, intend to keep standard tubby, internals and fuel delivery, so only looking to run about 1 bar, but have it full on in all gears. Presume that will be in the upper 200s in terms of power. I shall keep investigating.

Reaction score
Country
My friend didnt have to trim much for his autobahn88 intercooler as well, when we compare it to my greddy cooler, the autobahn88 intercooler is much small and thinner, therefore it was a direct fit to the front bar without trimming anything.

The pipes were hitting on the side where the foglights were attached to and i had to trim it all off to fit

M

Matt_S

Not been on for a while :)

Yeh, the kit is GReddy. It comes with brackets to spin the washer bottle. But one of the bolts gets int he way when you try and attach the fog surround and Ive made my own, as the previous owner probably left them at APT when they fitted it :wack:
Had to use a zip tie to hold it there. So dont look to close ;) :D

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Thanks for the reply mate :)

Seen various kits on ebay, the Autobahn ones look a bargain at £200 and the pics appear to follow the same dimensions and pipework as the GReddy. Also seen an HDI tube and fin kit on there for £250 which strikes me as a bargain too, so might have a pop at that :wack:

M

Matt_S

Have you got links? And do they come with the brackets to spin the washer bottle round?

M

Matt_S

Hmmm, I cant see the brackets in the pics.

I personally really like the 'bar and plate' type. Theyre a bit more efficient from what I gather and look way cooler too! :D
Oh and theyre stronger :thumbs:
The Hybrid stuff is pretty welll made, but Ive known some of them take a little engineering to fit! You do get a nice new shiney big bore hot pipe FOC tho :)

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Hmmm, decisions decisions. I think first things first I'll remove the standard WMIC and give it a good clean out and clean up all the intake piping aswell. Will probably look to get an oil catch can sorted aswell, just a small one to run inline - the Four came with an AFM aswell so I know it has to run back into the intake from the catch can. Will see how that improves things before going the FMIC route.

When I get an EBC I'll only be aiming to run around 0.9 bar (though in all gears and at all rpm) so that'll be a significant difference. Presume 0.9 bar is perfectly safe on WMIC, standard tubby and fueling on these?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
mine was running at around that just from fitting the exhaust system and filter. worth fitting a walbro and decent plugs if you havent already but i had no probs at that.