What's new

Smell + bad idle

D

dss15

Car smells like a burning kerosine lamp - and idles like turd. Must be running rich as... I've replaced the oil, going to check sparkies & O2 sensor tomorrow - anything else that will cause this in the s15's that I should check/fix?

Can't pinpoint the cause, happened after the day I switched the pod filter and plumbed the bov back in...

Reaction score
Sounds like you have upset your AFR's. What computer are you running?

If its stock you might have to reset it so it relearns the changes, if its aftermarket it might need a retune as you have changed your ratios by plumming back your BOV

D

dss15

Heh Heh Heh

Previous owner forgot to connect the lambda sensor
Can't believe I didn't look at that first... they were different plugs.. which means likely it was disconnected for ages. :p

Reaction score
Might be worth doing a voltage test on it to see its still functioning OK .If its fouled up due to running too rich it won't work properly.

Strange he didn't connect it, as it would have run like a dog and used truck loads of fuel. The plugs would have fouled up quickly as well :eek:

D

dss15

Yeah it and the plugs are coated in ****. I'll clean the plugs, they'll be OK, but you can't 'clean' sensors is that right? better to replace?
it's running better but still idling up & down, indicative of poor data from the sensor.. *nod*

D

dss15

Can clean the AFM yeah? I'm a bit of a newb, been years since my old s13, I won't take any advice as patronising - everything is helpful to me!

D

dss15

For those interested!
Replaced sparkies, because they were... just disgusting.
Cleaned AFM sensor, it was covered in crap also.
left the lambda alone - will replace for posterity.

Idle hunting is fixed. Fuel economy is fixed - get approx 100km/1/4 tank which is equivalent to my holden astra 1.8L, unboosted (LOL). Love the s15's...