What's new

New Wheels Thread Need Help with Tyres?

Nemesis Guy

Trader
Reaction score
Website
www.nemesisuk.com
Before I get flamed I would like to introduce you to my Wheel and Tyre thread. I have searched through the Ultimate Wheels Fitting Guide and found it very helpful but I am undecided on what tyre sizes to go for? I didn't just do this to get answers and hope you will find this a good read and should be helpful to other owners as well. Any help and comments will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guy

So goes,

There has been a particular set of wheels that have always been on my list ever since owning the car!

After talking with my supplier on what sizes and offset they have available in stock. I decided to place the order. A few days went by and look what turned up today!

I managed to get my hands on a set of TE37 in stock with no waiting from Japan! The only sizes that were available were 18x8.5 ET +30 and 18x9.5 +22 and 18x9.5 +12.
I knew there was no chance of the 18x9.5 + 12 fitting so I went for the 18x8.5 ET +30 for the fronts and 18x9.5 +22 for the rear.

So first things first I offered the front wheels up to the hubs to check the coilover clearance that I knew would be the first issue!

Guess What? They were only just touching!

As for arch clearance I didn't think it was too bad? Considering the wheel will tuck in more when on the ground with the camber.

(Please excuse the state of the car at the minute! The weather is not so good here and grittier’s are now hitting the roads! ) So, from the previous wheels that were on there they had spacers as they were only 7.5" wide with a +45 offset! Two cheap 6mm spacers infact!

When fitting the spacer it has just about cleared the coilover and I can turn with full lock without them touching.

Now unsure about the arch clearance if it will be a problem and stick out too far catching? Just hope it will be ok!

Moving onto the rears! This is now where it gets scary! All looks fine?

Not in the slightest!

This is my main concern. We had a set of 2 used identical 5zigen wheels in an 18x9.5 + 22 with stretched 225/40/18 tyres these would run fine on the car and didn't seem to touch the arches.

From reading the above what would be your thoughts tyre wise? I feel that there is no option than to stretch the tyres but don't know which way to go about it? I have come up with the following options?

Front 225/40/18 or 215/45/18

Rear 235/40/18 or 225/45/18

I'm trying to take into fact for the correct tyre rolling radiuses, comfort, applying maximum grip and being safe of all things!

Please let me know your thoughts and if you have any other tyre profile ideas?

Thanks for reading.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
To be honest, I'd be surprised if you didn't get a producer if the wheels stuck that far out... Topper got one and his didn't stick out anywhere near that :eek:

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Roll + Flare your archs = Job done ;) haha. If not, Option of bolt on archs? Or Fenders, Few options for you dude.. however, you probally wont get away with that if the old Rozza catch you lol. Looks cool tho ;)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Black S15 with bronze TE's. Haven't I seen that before ;) :thumbs:

I'm running the same specs in the front on 225/40R18 tyres (I have the same in the rear). I think that if you adjusted your camber, you would gain a couple of mm of clearance in the front.
It looks like camber is close to zero degrees with the car raised which should land you a couple of degrees negative when the car is standing on the ground.

I would recommend going wider than 225 if you can. I know it's very tight and you might have to get the front arch rolled.
My tyres have a protective edge which is useless as the tyres are to stretched.

Don't know how to do in the back.
You could run alot of negative camber, but that would mess with traction.
i would look into getting the rear fenders flared or possibly wider fenders.

Nemesis Guy

Trader
Reaction score
Website
www.nemesisuk.com
The Arches have been rolled already. It looks as if they will need to be flared. I was told though when your arches have been rolled they then can not be flared?
In the future I will be looking to go with 20mm front fenders and 30mm or 50mm rear fenders. I need to decide today as the tyres will have to be ordered in for tomorrow. I think i'm leaning towards the 215/45/ and 225/45? but still not a 100% sure as I don't know if they will bulge? if you get what I mean?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I thought that flared was just extra rolled so the fender bulges out?

This is how a 225/40R18 Yokohama DNA GP tyre look on 8.5J wheel
As you can see, the protective lip on the tyre no longer protect the rim because of the stretch. That's the downside. I think 235-245 width would be ideal. But I probobly don't have enough room for that in the front on my car.

M

Matt_S

LOL! You cant judge the amount they stick out by those pics as you need the susp loaded! They tuck in a hell of a lot on the deck mate.

The wheel fitment guide should be OK to work with if you have rolled arches. I dont like the look of the front strut, VERY close! ANd they wont hit the strut on full lock or straight ahead, because, guess what? THE STRUT MOVES AT THE SAME AMOUNT?ANGLE AS THE WHEEL! :wack:

That made me chuckle lots! :D

Also, I dont like the 6mm slip on generic spacers. Very very likely you will strip the threads on the nuts, esp if you have the ally ones. THeyre made of toffee and banned from drift comps cos theyre unreliable :wack:
Get some nice 5mm or 10mm longer studs and spacers and do it properly :thumbs:

P

Pazz

Well its a good excuse for a set of fenders put it that way.

You would of been better with the 8.5" ET30 all round, atleast then you could of got away with 245 or even 255 tyres on the back.

Using http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp the 8.5" ET30 would of stuck out 21mm less than the current setup on the rear. Which after rolling I would think would of slotted a 255 tyre in.

But thats typical hindsight! Dont always think wider rim = wider tyre, you see it all the time on SXOC.

The main objective is to have more tyre on the ground, isnt it???

Last edited:

Nemesis Guy

Trader
Reaction score
Website
www.nemesisuk.com
Thanks for all your help guy's

I’ve now ordered tires to be fitted Saturday.

Went for Toyo T1R Proxes 225/40/18 front and 235/40/18 rears.

Will be having custom spacers machined when I know what sizes I can get away with and chucking the nasty cheap ones!

I would have gone for the 8.5 all round but they only had two of them available. From what I remember there was a fair bit of clearance on the inner rear arch when the wheel was mounted. I will look closer when the wheels are tired and finally on the car.

I have become a bit crazy and gone wild protecting lips with cloth tape from the grease monkeys at the tire fitters! I think it looks pretty cool though with the black lip!

I done a little weighing too with a 9.5" 5zigen cast rim to compare weight advantages against the Volk's.

5zigen rim weighed in at 11.3KG's and the Volks? These weighed in at 8.7KG's! Saving 2.6KG's which I was quite impressed with as I thought the Volks were heavy when I received them. Now my opinions have changed!

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I have become a bit crazy and gone wild protecting lips with cloth tape from the grease monkeys at the tire fitters! I think it looks pretty cool though with the black lip!
Its not crazy.

The first place to fit my tyres to my new Work Emotions took a chip out if one and put two small marks on the spoke on another.

Was not at all happy when I noticed, but they will pick up marks from stones anyway, but still an annoyance.

As for arch flaring, when I had arch enemy rolling my arches I asked him about flaring and he told me they roll the arch first and then flare it, so its still a possibility if you need it :thumbs:

Nemesis Guy

Trader
Reaction score
Website
www.nemesisuk.com
As for arch flaring, when I had arch enemy rolling my arches I asked him about flaring and he told me they roll the arch first and then flare it, so its still a possibility if you need it :thumbs:
Thanks, that's cool to know. I've just been onto their website and the nearest one is in Nottingham. I will see if he can come over to bromsgrove (About an hours drive) and do it possibly after chrismas? Have a friend with a S14A that needs his arches rolled as well. So will make it worth his while to come down!

Reaction score
Country
i have the work and agree they do get stone chip very easy.

i also the TE37 and they are a hell of a lot better because they are anodised alot tougher then paint.

i think the volks TE37 look best in 18x9.5+12 fitmet as the spokes curve out. which is what i have :D...