What's new

Next stage of Mods

Reaction score
Right well im looking at taking the next step with the car and just asking what you guys think/suggest to complete what i have listed :)

ok so far engine wise this is what ive got sitting at home the last year lol

tomei pon cams 256/256
tomei valve springs
tomei head gasket 1.2mm
ncvs sprocket
ncvs solenoid
hks gt-rs turbo
nismo 740cc injectors
nismo injector seals
nismo thermostat
z32 afm

currently the cars making 285bhp without the above, running standard injectors and an apexi power fc with supporting mods. can anyone suggest anything else to get while im fitting all the gear above?

I was thinking a greddy sump or tomei too add at some point. Feel free to say something :thumbs:

M

Matt_S

Ditch the pon cams and get pro cams 260. THe pons are not different enough to get you the gain you need for swapping cams. just seen a mates car with the 260s make 400bhp using the GT RS and a D Jetro Power FC. GReddy sumps are nice :thumbs: Clutch too?!?! Youll need it! :wack:

Reaction score
might aswel get forged pistons, rods and crank...
hell just stroke it hahahaha.
im very tempted ray but the bank balance is against me at the moment :D.

as for the e85 id like to go that route but ive only got one garage around me at the moment that i can fill up on so my options are limited :down:

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Different application I know, (still 2 litre turbo mind) but I had 256 cams put in my Rover 220 when I had it's head ported/polished and the like. Although there was no 'obvious' gain what I would say is that the engine would rev to the redline notably more easily, and felt smoother while it was at it. Personally, if you're not going big big power I'd stick with them, they do make a difference while still leaving the car drivable at lower revs :)

Reaction score
ye ill be sticking with the 256/256 combo and the ncvs, im going for respose not peak power so im going to stick with this setup and see how it goes.

Reaction score
try using the hks camshafts. I have them on mine. Same duration but the lift profile if different, so you get most of the power down the lower revs.

Id suggest the nismo exhaust system also and a URAS Geso hand bent manifold. Good choice on the turbo. Im still undecided whether to go for the Nismo R1 or a nice GT2871.

Might be a good idea to install an oil coolers.

Call it a day afterwards and beat the crap out of the STi's

Reaction score
The GTRS and the GT2871 are virtually the same turbo. Theyr'e both a very good upgrade from the stock turbo with minumal lag and still good bottom end response :thumbs:

P

Paul2x

If you have some spare $$ throw in a larger throttle body.

try using the hks camshafts. I have them on mine. Same duration but the lift profile if different, so you get most of the power down the lower revs.
He's right, in the past I tried running an almost identical set-up to yours. With the larger Pro-cams' 270 and GT-RS and had serious boost creep problems. Tried countless variations and never got it right. I was told it was the Tomei cam's. Other guys with same set-ups and the HKS cams (step 2's) were running perfect w/ no problems.

just maybe something to consider.

gl with the build :thumbs:

M

Matt_S

If you have some spare $$ throw in a larger throttle body.

He's right, in the past I tried running an almost identical set-up to yours. With the larger Pro-cams' 270 and GT-RS and had serious boost creep problems. Tried countless variations and never got it right. I was told it was the Tomei cam's. Other guys with same set-ups and the HKS cams (step 2's) were running perfect w/ no problems.

just maybe something to consider.

gl with the build :thumbs:
Id advise for the Tomei 260 Procams. In and Exh. A mates runnign these (on an admittedley built engine) and just seen over 400bhp with a HKS GT RS. I can get the full spec if you want :)

Reaction score
Id advise for the Tomei 260 Procams. In and Exh. A mates runnign these (on an admittedley built engine) and just seen over 400bhp with a HKS GT RS. I can get the full spec if you want :)
See, thats the thing. I dont know what it is with the Tomei's or the Trust Easy Cams but they just dont give you the power. Unless i've been using imitation products i wouldnt know. But a friend of mine in the states runs a 2.35 Crower built SR and the Tomei's do justice on them. HKS are good enough for me.

As for the turbo i think we all agree that the GTRS is the winner for a reliable 400bhp runabout.