What's new

oil pressure

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
hey people,
just fitted my oil temp and pressure gauge sender units yesterday and wanted to check what i should be expecting to see with you guys.....

on startup (fast idle) the oil pressure shows up at around 80psi constant, then as the engine warms through it drops to around a very minimum 20psi constant at idle when warm. when driving the pressure rises with the revs and peaks at between 80-90psi and when flat out sits up there perfectly steady, i dont get any fluctuation or hunting at all at any revs or on idle.

as for oil temp, what would you guys class as warmed up? didn't get mine to go up much past 75'c but wasnt caning the hell out of it (kept stopping to check for leaks from sandwich plate).

any info appreciated

M

Matt_S

Are you running an oil cooler and if so has it got a stat on it?

Oil pressure, I think I used to see about 6bar at cold startup and then idling when warm, about 1.5+. So that looks OK.
Oil temp should more or less sit at the same temp as the water, so thats about right temp for this time of year. :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
no oil cooler as yet, not giving the car enough punishment to require one. the car really will only see the track very occasionally, a few trips to the pod maybe but mostly fast road use and long trips at weekends - at the moment for the use it will be getting im wondering if it'll be necessary at all as i've seen that a few people say with the oil cooler fitted when road driving they found the oil isnt getting hot enough......oh and the water temp gauge sender isnt hooked in yet as im waiting on the new rad before splicing the top hose but i will watch both when it is just to check

Last edited:
M

Matt_S

Ideally you get a stat in the system, so you dont get those issues. Other than that, do what Ive done and blank the cooler off with some old skool cardboard :wack: