What's new

bloody water leak!

J

jappy-junk

Not a happy bunny, took my car out other day and suddenly noticed it was close to overheating so pulled over to be accompanied with a cloud of steam coming from turbo area.

So left it to cool down and topped it back up and went for drive round block but found the heaters running cold,despite the temp gauge saying normal.
when pulled back up i looked under and could see dripping!!

At closer inspection it has proved to be the small metal pipe leading to the turbo bango has fractured.

Can i get a uprated one or braided or something, is this a common fault?

Dave

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Its pretty common, it happened to me earlier this year.

I would advise that you replace both water pipes and the oil pipe with braided hoses.

Here is the thread I started when this happened to me link, some useful advice and pictures on there.

You can get all three hoses from Hose Solutions, and you might want to get new banjo bolts and washers too.

Its a turbo/manifold off job and while you have it off its a good idea to replace all turbo gaskets/exhaust manifold gasket, even a good excuse to upgrade the manifold and elbow ;)

Ill hunt down all the serial numbers and links and add them here for you when I have a minute.

From Hose Solutions
1 x NISSAN S15 BRAIDED OIL AND WATER PIPES (3) = £70.00
1 x NISSAN S13 & S14 WATER FEED BANJO BOLTS & WASHERS = £8.00
1 x NISSAN S13/S14 200SX OIL FEED BANJO BOLTS & WASHERS = £10.00 (THESE WONT FIT THE S15 I FOUND OUT)

From Perfect Run via Email Request (whole lot cost about £50 but the Yen is stronger now)
14401-69F28- TURBOCHARGER GASKET KIT (includes all 4 turbo gaskets, all water and oil hose washers)
14036-75F00- GASKET - EXHAUST MANIFOLD (mine looked perfect but I replaced it anyway)
2 x 14495-17F00- PLATE LOCK (stop the turbo to exhaust manifold nuts comming undone)

From Apex
9 x Brass Turbo Nuts link

I also took the opportunity to wrap my exhaust elbow while it was off.

Somewhere at home I have a list of all the torque ratings for this whole job too...

Darren

Last edited:
S

StarletRick

apex do a braided line kit for about 70 odd quid iirc.

worth having a check

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
apex do a braided line kit for about 70 odd quid iirc.

worth having a check
Apex do, but when I got mine Hose Solutions were a lot cheaper.

Currently for all 3 hoses:
Apex = £134.90
Apex Budget = £82.50
Hose Solutions = £70

Last edited:
J

jappy-junk

cheers guys, any link for hose solutions?
getting shed loads done at same time now its off road and using the ae86.

Is the manifold and elbow worth their money? any surgestions where?

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
its worth doing the turbo elbow while ur doing that as u will have the turbo off.....so anything else in that area which u wanna do get it done all together...have u got a hks actuator?? that would be a good thing to fit at the same time it will hold the boost better

M

Matt_S

On the subject of turbo elbows, DONT get the seperated exh gas and wastegate elbows. They have been known to induce boost creep earlier than on the larger single bore (GReddy style) items.

Other than that, yeh do it whilst its off :thumbs:

J

jappy-junk

ok will look into the elbows and actuator as well.

Currently having silicon hoses fitted, boost controller, ecu and mapped, walbro fitted, iriduim spark plugs, suspension tweaked as cusco fully adjustables, heads up fitted and possibly injectors should need.

thanks for link darren :D

F

freebird

Matt S can you please explain what you mean by the term Boost Creep :confused:

Cheers :thumbs:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Matt S can you please explain what you mean by the term Boost Creep :confused:

Cheers :thumbs:
Matt_S will do a better job at explaining this than me

But Boost Creep is when there is not enough exhaust gas going through the wastegate (or the wastegate is too small to further reduce the boost level), which results in your boost pressure slowly creeping higher than what it should be.

Am I right guys?...

M

Matt_S

Boost creep is basically where you want say 1 bar of boost, but due to a coupel of things (either the design and relationship of the turbine wheel/turbone housing actuator port OR the design of the Turbo Elbow) the excess boost cannnot be vented and boost cannot be held at 1 bar The actuator cannot hold it at 1 bar, so the boost creeps up above the required level.

I googled it (www.google.com for future ref ;) :p )and got this, which is pretty much the same as what I said.
Boost creep is a condition of rising boost levels past what the predetermined level has been set at. Boost creep is caused by a fully opened Wastegates not being able to flow enough exhaust to bypass the housing via the Wastegates itself. For example, if your boost is set to 12psi, and you go into full boost, you will see a quick rise to 12 or 13psi, but as the rpm's increase, the boost levels also increase beyond what the boost controller or stock settings were. Boost creep is typically more pronounced at higher rpm's since there is more exhaust flow present for the Wastegates to bypass.
Effective methods of avoiding or eliminating boost creep include porting the internal Wastegates opening to allow more airflow out of the turbine, or to use an external Wastegates.

That was from http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/faqs.html and looks very helpful with all things turbo related, so Ive bookmarked it :thumbs:

Basically, the design of the turbo elbow constricts the flow of gasses out of the wastegate port and can contribute to boost creep. If you think about it it makes perfect sense. THe cross sectional area of ONE large port is a lot greater than two individual ports that these style of elbows give.

TO give you an example - on some 'dodgy batch' of turbos (I think they were SS AUtochrome cheap assed Disco Potatoes) the wastegate port/turbone housing was so ****, even with the wastegate port held wide open, the car made like .9 bar boost! :wack: Thats a severe example tho just for the record :wack:. It turned out that the wastegate port had been machine totally wrong (i.e. NOT!) and was actually smaller than a std car if I recall rightly.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Not bad! Im impressed for a young'un! :D

You're learning fast son! :thumbs:
Told you your description would be better.

Im a keen learner, and I like to bore people with how my car works when they talk to me :rotfl: