What's new

rear subframe question

F

FRONTYARD

Are the subframes on the s15's interchangable, The reason Iam asking is that I have an s14 subframe sitting in my garage fitted with solid bushes, all adjustable arms and 2 way diff, Was going to wack it on the s15, but thaught I ask the experts, I have noticed that the subframe does look a bit diffrent to the s14 one, but dont know if the s14 one fits or not, any one shed some light into this

thanks

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i think s14's have diff oil coolers fitted to the subframe, wouldnt it be easier to swap the bits over?

F

FRONTYARD

I got rid off my diff cooler time back, but swapping the bits over would make the job longer I got all the bits ready fitted to my s14 subframe including 300zx rear brakes with the handbrake cables, its just a case of knowing if it will fit the s15 if not then I will swap the bits over as I will have no other choice

M

Matt_S

The frames are 'apparently' different. But all I could see was the rear brace on the S15s frame which, err isnt actually part of the frame! :wack: Its just bolt on boit like the rear braces you can buy aftermarket.. THe lower arms are different to the S14 ones tho. They have some webbing in the underside that the 14 doesnt have.
If it were me, Id pull the frame off the 15, cut the subframe bushes out and fit the replacments fromt he S14 (theyre the same bushes).
Then, split the lower arms off both cars frames and put the S15 lower arms on the S14 uprights - these are the same too.
Saves you swapping all the brakes over too - proper pain in the ass job!

F

FRONTYARD

ah crap same chapter again time to get the flame thrower and burn the feck out off the bushes, I was hoping I never had to do that job again oh well, maybe I can do it quicker then I did last time lol Iam going to have some real fun over the weekend

M

Matt_S

As I say, they may be the same! Now is your chance to take pics and let the interweb know for sure!

F

FRONTYARD

yep and I think I will also have a go at plonking the s14 subframe on the s15 as well trial and error it is then, I will update this thread if it fits

M

Matt_S

If theyre the same do it. It will fit, but it might be short of some bracing. I didnt look too closely, but the S15 has a lot more counter balancing and antivibration weights/bushes than the S14. Its almost like they found the extra torsional rigidity of the shell gave NVH issues elsewhere.