What's new

THS Elbow Fitting

P

Pazz

I'm fitting a THS elbow and downpipe this weekend in situ.

What puzzles me is that the fitting kit includes:

- 3x M10 Studs
- 2x M8 Studs with washers

And some other bits which are fine.

BUT, I thought the turbo to elbow studs were all M8? Or is my memory playing tricks.

I dont want to be half way through the job to find I need to go bolt shopping so if anyone could shed any light on this it would be great.

I ordered a Nissan gasket earlier today which is coming tomorrow.

Last edited:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
think that some of the studs are for the elbow to downpipe joint. i fitted one of these and it did come with quite a few studs/nuts and bolts and i didnt use them all

M

Matt_S

There are two M8 studs in the back of the turbo. The other three holes are threaded and bolted, not nuts/washers.
The three studs on the elbow are the M10.

I thought that was the case anyway, but just checked the workshop manual too to be sure ;) :thumbs:

Reaction score
the M10's will go in the base to adjoint the downpipe.

the m8's will be replacements for the studs in the turbo. the top 3 fixings are bolts. the bottom 2 are studs and nuts. :) you probably won't need these.... they're an "incase" thing.

P

Pazz

Well the whole kit actually includes:

- 3x M10 Studs FOR TURBO -> ELBOW ????
- 2x M8 Studs with washers FOR TURBO -> ELBOW
- 3x M10 Bolts with washers FOR ELBOW -> DOWNPIPE

So they are not all M8 on the turbo?

Reaction score
i'd guess that it's just cause some people prefer to put studs in the elbow to downpipe, instead of bolting it.

P

Pazz

Did anyone else notice that the fitment is not perfect. I had to bring my HKS Silent + R33 decat forward on the hangers a couple of cm's. Almost as if the decat/downpipe could do with being a little longer.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i found this with the s13 decat that the hks system needs pulling forward a bit but nothing that caused any real fitting problems.....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I found that the THS elbow and downpipe fitment with a 315mm decat was perfect. Which is more than could be said for the crap Trust elbow copy I had from Apex.

M

Matt_S

Weird. I never had any issues with the Trust copy elbow on my S14. But Im not 100% sure it was an APex one. :wack:

P

Pazz

I will measure my decat and see. Its MOT time soon so will get a chance to take a look when its off.

Even so, It looks like I will have to take my decat to an exhuast shop I know and get them to make it a little longer. My middle silencer is knocking against the under body.

What is everyones opinion's of polyeurthane exhaust hangers? Worth it? Or a waste of time? I know it could stop the knocking but I also hear they can prevent cracking?

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
UGH ok...... iv been at this all afternoon, only just stopped now.

Basically.. on the THS elbow, where it attach's to the OEM turbo.

Top = 2 Bolts (These go in fine)
Bottom = 1 Bolt and 2 Nuts.

1 Nut is easy to get on, the other is harder but does. As for the bottom bolt.. it just will not go on. The OEM bolt is far too long for the bend in the elbow.

I had all but this bolt on and there's a gap where you can see the gasket. Also when trying to line up the HKS downpipe its miles off from the decat.

What a royal pain in the hoop.

Gave up for the night as my eyes are sore from **** falling in them, its freezing and iv done my back in lol. Will crack on with it in the morning. But how the hell does one get around this stupid long oem bolt???? Can i just cut it down?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
the bottom one should be a stud in the kit with the elbow. the idea is to fit the stud, then slide the elbow on a little way, get a nut on it and spin it on as you push the elbow up to the flange. as for decat - should be a s13 decat you need provided the ths elbow and downpipe are designed to go with each other.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
you're probably better off with a stud, or cut the head off the bolt and use a nut that fits.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
ah im with you, so.. use the OEM bolt 'like' a stud. Screw that into the turbo housing.. fit the elbow and then screw on a nut over the bolt?

Was just speaking to Dazz. he's explained to me why the elbow isnt sitting tight due to the middle lower oem stud being too long and hitting the elbow.. even though the nut is on its not sitting flush thus.. having a gap.