What's new

THS Elbow Fitting

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
ah im with you, so.. use the OEM bolt 'like' a stud. Screw that into the turbo housing.. fit the elbow and then screw on a nut over the bolt?
:nod:

its always best to put a nut on a bolt first before cutting it, then when you remove the nut it clears the thread:)

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
did any of you have to adjust the compressor housing?

As it appears i 'had' to.........

well regret fitting this now tbh. Hitting the gearbox and the prop shaft. Its all coming off tomrorow and im officially now done with the s15

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
finally got the car up on stands (what a mess about) and the OEM elbow WILL not come off the OEM front pipe.. stupid thing. So its all going back to standard parts. Win!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
you sure? if you stand on the elbow you should be able to crack the 3 nuts, either that or snap them/grind them off....you want rid of that mate - its one of the most restrictive parts of the system:nod:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Dont give up mint, now your this far it would be a shame not to get it on :(

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Whats the going rate for a THS downpipe?

Is £72 posted a good deal?

I assume one for a S14 or S14a will be the same for the S15?

I remember refitting my downpipe when I changed my turbo lines and it was a pain, keep going with it...

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
s14 isnt the same as a s15 mate - the 15 ones go for around 80+ from what i can see.

I got the OEM pipes back on today thankfully. Im not going to fit the elbow/front pipe without a ramp or with finding a way to adjust the compressor housing or something.

What a royal pain tho, one bolt rounded.. so had to go get new nuts. Got it sorted though. Exhaust lines up perfect again thankfully.. OEM > Aftermarket :p lol (Didnt think it say that lol)

Reaction score
Dazz0i, the apex elbow did crack, its a piece of sh*t!

There is a load of exhaust putty in that pic from a temp fix while I was waiting for the new elbow and gaskets but damn... you can still see the 6 inch gash so get the point anyway! What a piece of crap.

I was in a rush to get a new one because I couldn't have my car off the road. Noone had any in stock, I ordered a trust one from apex but surprise surprise after telling me they had one I thought to cover my back I'd put a note in the "extra comments" box on the site about how urgently I needed one and I later got a phone call saying they're out of stock so they sent me an Apex one which is "just as good quality". yeah right....

I decided to redo the job lot after I found a few issues on the exhaust side of the car including this which someone had tried bodging back together before selling me the car *rolls eyes*

This in turn affected fuelling and EGT's which led to this:

Which in turn led to me replacing the exhaust side with new parts to cure several issues I came across I wasn't happy with:

Anywho... Back to topic.

Mint, yeah you can take a grinder to the stud but as mentioned, make sure you put a nut on and wind it down the stud before you grind it so that that way once short enough you can remove the nut from the stud and it'll make its own thread :)

The only thing is, in order to do this you need to take the turbo off. It's not a bad job, I can have the manifold and turbo off the car in under an hour on my driveway at home with about 6 tools lol. Remove your elbow and front pipe as one piece if it wont separate... ie. unbolt it from the cat and from the tubi then drop it out the bottom of the car and try the old WD-40 and wire brush trick, if there's still no luck use a blow torch followed by worst case scenario of a grinder if you cant undo the 3 down pipe bolts and you may aswell fit braided hoses while you're there...

The apex stuff is SH*T though, more examples (four bolt holes lined up, one is erm... not):

Even if you elongate the hole to allow you to actually fit a stud/bolt. The bolt head/nut will foul on the housing of the elbow itself rendering it completely f*cking pointless. Cowboys IMO :( complete gash and not the good variety either :ghey:

If you need any help or talking through anything on the removal/fitment side, just holla and I'll be happy to help.

S

StarletRick

i used the satock elbow, ALL of the stuff you can get from local places (dw, apex, ths) is all chinese stuff and probably made in the same factory.

youll either have to get a proper one from japan and pay the money. or use the stock one.

tbh, stock one is fine imo, especially for the stock turbo setup.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Tilly sir.. good pics thanks for the help there chief!! :)

I want someone to clear this up for me. As im getting 2 of my good friends telling me one thing, and 2 saying the other.

The compressor housing.. can this be adjusted to allow the elbow to rotate? I was told I could remove the turbo to rotate the housing so the elbow will sit straight with the rest of the piping.. does this make sence?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
the exhaust housing is attached to the turbo by about 7 bolts - if you loosen these then you can spin the housing round a bit and then re-tighten the bolts. trouble is you cant move it much as the actuator arm will not line up properly....

i havent used the apex elbow as i heard it was crap, but the ths one has been on for ages now with no problems at all.....

S

StarletRick

i take it youre talking about the elbow on the compressor housing that goes to the hotpipe?

you dont need to spin the cartridge. the compressor housing is only held on my little plates and a rubber washer. loosten these, and itll spin however you like.

youll need to get the actuator mount sorted out though. which is a pain.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
For anyone that cares ths do not make these anymore.

Shame as I wanted one for my car.

What other makes do people recommend?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i didnt think they did which is a shame because they were cheap with the downpipe at 120-00

if its any help - though i havent used them the japspeed ones look very similar.....if not have a look here, not sure if it fits the s15 but as the ths ones were meant for s14 theres a chance it will. get someone to confirm - and bear in mind whether or not your tubular manifold sits lower or higher than standard:)

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
i didnt think they did which is a shame because they were cheap with the downpipe at 120-00

if its any help - though i havent used them the japspeed ones look very similar.....if not have a look here, not sure if it fits the s15 but as the ths ones were meant for s14 theres a chance it will. get someone to confirm - and bear in mind whether or not your tubular manifold sits lower or higher than standard:)
Cheers Dean,

I know where I can get an S14 THS Downpipe but it wont fit :(

The one in the link looks OK, I guess I wont know what its like until its on the car, but I want one with a flexi for sure.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i did away with the flexi for ground clearance and havent ad any probs mate....