What's new

Arch Rubbing Issue

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
PLEASE SEE POST #7 as I did not want to start a new thread for the same issue!

Recently Ive been getting a rubbing noise from my driver side wheel arch.

It does not happen all the time but is most noticeable under breaking while turning left.

I cannot get it to do it on demand it just happens sometimes.

In a straight line and turning right there is no rubbing no matter what I try, only when I turn left does it happen occasionally.

Obviously I understand that cars lung when under breaking which is what I can assume is causing this.

Just wondered if anyone else gets this or knows of a particular part of the wheel arch that might be troublesome?

Im running 18x8.5 +32 wheels / R18x225x40 / Apex Gen2s.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Umm, not sure why yours are rubbing as i have the same tyre size and offset as you ?? Im setup with extra castor as well using the Whiteline geometry setings, are they rubbing on the front of the tyre ?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Not sure where its rubbing right now.

Going to whip the wheel off at the weekend to see if I can spot an obvious rub mark :nod:

M

Matt_S

As you look at the wheel arch, look about 10 or 11 o'clock. As you brake the wheel moves back very slightly too, so chance are that with the squat under braking and the wheel movement, its probably at the rear edge. Probably towards the outer edge too. And guess whats directly above the arch liner here? Yep! The wring loom :wack:

S

StarletRick

if youre rubbing while the wheel is spinning, you should be able to see some scuffs or heat marks if its on the plastic liner mate. get the wheel off and have a look. will be fairly easy to see if it is.

W

WATDA

How low is ya car? Mines rubbed right through the plastic liner haha, only rubs on very hard cornors now on the metal tub itself and only just. Have given it the hammer treatment and relocated the loom but mine is very very low

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
OK I need some more help on this now that Ive finally had a look now its a little warmer outside.

So as my first post states I hear this rubbing/judder/vibration from the front drivers side wheel arch area.

This weekend I took the front wheel off and had a really good look around the inside of the arch and all over the wheel and tyre and cannot see any signs of rubbing.

I also took out my arch liner just incase it was this as it was slightly damaged.

Took the car out again and its still doing it.

This noise only happens when turning left under load or no load and speed does not seem to be a factor.

But at the same time it does not always do it when turning left it only seems to be on certain bends.

Its getting worse and Im starting to not want to drive the car while its making this noise.

All I can think is that it might be something to do with the hub?

If anyone can help me out here Ill be very greatful :thumbs:

Suggestions of what to check or things it might be?

Next weekend Im going to put my old front wheels back on as they are smaller to make 100% sure its not the wheels rubbing on the chassis.

Ive also jacked the car up and spun the wheel around and it all sounds and feels smooth when the wheels are straight.

Sorry for the long post...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Sounds like the bearings ? If you take the wheel off is there any movement in the hub ? Also when you spin it around feel for any notchiness.

Last edited:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I tried that yesterday.

Moving it around it feels quite smooth, but I just cant think what else it might be.

Dont want to get a new hub bearing to find its something else though...

Reaction score
Country
Could always try swapping the front bearings around (quite a pain tho) and see if the noise changes to the other side. The part numbers are the same as the S14 so maybe try sourcing a cheaper 2nd hand one ?

Reaction score
Country
it's difficult to tell without actually hearing it in person, but alot of your descriptions sounds the same on my s14. it started out being not too noticeable, but gradually got worse as time went on. i did the same thing as you, and did a visual inspection, and didn't find anything obvious. it got too the point that it got so bad, i finally took it in to a mechanic. it turn out being the bearings...

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
it's difficult to tell without actually hearing it in person, but alot of your descriptions sounds the same on my s14. it started out being not too noticeable, but gradually got worse as time went on. i did the same thing as you, and did a visual inspection, and didn't find anything obvious. it got too the point that it got so bad, i finally took it in to a mechanic. it turn out being the bearings...
Does sound simular to what Ive got.

Think Ill get myself a new hub bearing and then take the hub apart to have a look.

Does anyone happen to know the product code (drivers side if it makes a difference)?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Cheers mate :thumbs:

Just rang Nissan Uk and they are £190 with VAT.

Think Ill wait and see how much Perfect Run quote me.

If I continue to drive the car like it is could I be damaging anything else if it is the hub bearing thats going?

Reaction score
Country
Not really, its just going to put more wear on the bearing. The issue you could face is the bearing seizing or completely failing on you while driving but im not sure how common that is.

Dont know if you ever heard mine ? it didnt get progressively worse so i wasnt in a major rush to fix it. If it is sounding worse then id personally get it sorted asap and try not to use the car.

Perfect Run will probably come in at over £100, id personally still reccomend trying to source from a dealer on the SXOC perhaps either brand new or second hand.

M

Matt_S

AFAIK Darren, S14 fronts are the same. Rears arent tho. If you bring it up, Ill take a look if you want :)

Reaction score
Country
Part numbers for front are deffo the same when i looked up on the SXOC :nod:

The rears are cheaper as i think you can press in new bearings without the need for the whole hub assembly.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
AFAIK Darren, S14 fronts are the same. Rears arent tho. If you bring it up, Ill take a look if you want :)
Cheers for the offer mate :thumbs:

Took it over to Jez last night and he thinks it the hub bearing.

Im going to get a new one and fit that I think.

Dont like driving the car while it makes this noise :no:

M

Matt_S

Dont like driving the car while it makes this noise :no:

LOL, Im sure it will be fine mate! I had to drive my Primera with a dodgy bearing. The noise was so loud that I after a week I couldnt hear the stereo (that was really loud!) cos of the bearing noise! :D

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Can anyone confirm for me if part 40200-0V010 is the same as 40200-5L310?

Ive had a hub arrive that is the 0V010 part number which comes up as an S14 front hub but it seems to be for pre 1998 models.

Do I need to send it back and get a 5L310?

Thanks.

Looking into the furter Ive found a site that says the 0V010 does support ABS but not A/C (not idea what A/C means on a hub?).

Last edited: