What's new

Over-filling gearbox oil

F

Fro-Daddy

Hey guys, when I got my car serviced I Redline Shockproof Light Weight in my gear box. It now seems more clunky into gears so I was going to do the over-fill trick from the top.

I've pulled my car apart from the inside and got down to the shifter, but the two front bolts can't come out because the frame of the car is in the way. How did you guys get around this? I've got a pic if anyone is having trouble understanding my gibberish :p

Thanks in advance!

G

gunner93

I also got up to the remaining 2 front bolts under the body. BTW do I need to to remove 2 cable ties that tie the shift boot? :confused:

F

Fro-Daddy

I just chopped mine, will put some new ones back on when I complete the top up, if I complete the top up :p

F

Fro-Daddy

I can get the bolts undone, but it is physically too long to pull out as it hits the actual car...the only way I can see to get around this is to drop the gearbox down or bend the frame up.

Where is the breather? Any pics mate?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The breather sits under the clutch master cylinder. You need to attach a length of hose and loop it up over the brake lines on the firewall. Overfilling the gearbox has a risk of the fluid coming out of the breather when the box gets quite hot.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Im quite confused reading this.

When I overfilled mine I got all the way down to the last rubber skirt over the bottom of the gear stick and could not get any further as it was impossible to remove this.

So I simply cut a hole in this and then filled the box slowly without removing the gear stick itself (there are two small holes either side of the stick).

Put it all back together and not had any problems since.

I used Nicelys short shifter guide for removing the gearstick and it looks like Nicely also cut away this rubber skirt?

I did use a oil syringe which allowed me to trickle oil in really slowly though.

Why are people trying to remove bolts as I didnt think you needed to? :confused:

M

Matt_S

WTF?!?! The refill hole on the side should be used to check if its filled enough or overfilled.
Get the car on a level surface (an MOT ramp is ideal!) and carefully undo the refill but on the side of the box. Stick you finger in the hole (try not to get it stuck as S15s wont go thro the doors of A&E :wack: ) and feel for the gear oil. if you can feel it, its OK. If it just trickles out, dont worry, just do the nut up again. If it gushes out - err unlucky - you should have worn overalls afterall :p ;)

M

Matt_S

Refill hole can be seen here (I think! :wack: ) S14/S13 are on the passengers side of the box.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I read that overfilling the gearbox can make it a little smoother Matt.

And to be honest I did notice it was a little easier to get into gears after I overfilled it :nod:

F

Fro-Daddy

The front of my car was up on ramps when it was filled I think, I did not personally do it as I'm slightly crippled atm :p Might put it on level ground and top up normally and see how I go first...

Thanks for the info guys!

G

gunner93

The front of my car was up on ramps when it was filled I think, I did not personally do it as I'm slightly crippled atm :p Might put it on level ground and top up normally and see how I go first...

Thanks for the info guys!
An easier way I read would be to tilt the car higher at the refill hole side - no sure this will fill up to all 2 ltrs though...:rolleyes:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yep, you're missing the point, Matt. The 6MT box take 1.8 litres, but it been known for a while that overfilling to 2 litres removed quite a lot of notchiness.

P

Pazz

Or do what I did and park the car on a slight camber. Then just fill from the refill hole. I measured out 2L and then began filling.

EDIT: Same as what gunner93 suggests.

S

StarletRick

i did mine at the weekend, and id recommend filling it from the shifter.

it takes 5 minutes to take off. and saves you fannying about under the car.

G

gunner93

i did mine at the weekend, and id recommend filling it from the shifter.

it takes 5 minutes to take off. and saves you fannying about under the car.

5 minutes to remove 12 screws on centre panel and shifter base plate is very efficient vs only 1 screw under the gear box.