What's new

R33 Skyline front brake upgrade

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I know that all kinds of brake upgrades have been discussed. I don't wish to get into what is better etc.

The reason for this thread is that I need to slightly modify my front calipers to fit my new wheels because I don't want to use spacers. The wheels just touch the caliper on the edge and I don't want to modify the original ones. I am looking at whether I should just get a replacement set of S15 calipers and modify them or upgrade to bigger R33 front brakes. I only wish to convert my front brakes.

My questions are.

1) Does the R33 GTST skyline front brakes fit without any modifications? I don't want to run adapter plates or anything like that.
2) What size disc do you use, the S15 ones or R33 ones or something else?
3) If the R33 discs are used, are they a straight on fit?
4) Will I need longer / shorter brake hoses?
5) Will this upset the front / rear bias of my brakes?
6) Is there anything else I should know about this conversion.

I was under the impression the R33 calipers are the same caliper as the S15 ones but made of cast aluminimum instead or iron and the mounting points on the R33 caliper make them sit further from the centre of the hub thus allowing a slightly larger disc and fixing my wheel hitting the caliper problem.

M

Matt_S

Where do they touch? Need pics really, cos when you say its touching, it could be read as touching on the front face (as you look at the wheel). WHich Im assumign it is.
I have R33/R32GTR rakes on mine.
From memory theyre slightly deeper, so if theyre touching the std calipers, it will only make the sitiuation worse. (I also have a pair of calipers off my S15 for sale too btw ;) )
Anyway....
1) YOu need to push back the dust shield edge (or trim them) as they foul the disk otherwise and the caliper fouls a bit too. The caliper bolts straight on to the hub tho.
2) The R33 one. THeyre 296mm not 280mm.
3) See point 1)
4) No, std ones will bolt on fine.
5) Maybe slightly. But not noticeably enough to worry about it.
6) Its really good :thumbs:

IF you say the caliper is hitting hitting the inside of the wheel where it mounts the hub, then yes that will cure the problem. Mae sure you measure the difference first tho. THey sit about 7mm further out from the centre. I had to try this for a guy who bought some wheels off me that were oversized on the hub mounting face.

Hope that all helps.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the info. I will try to get some pics tomorrow so you can see what I mean. I am just trying to work out if the conversion is worth it or not, or wether I should just get some decent pads and slotted rotors.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
here are some pics.

First one is how much clearance I have with a 3mm spacer fitted. As I said. I would like to get rid of the spacer as I am not too keen on them.

This one you can see the shape of the wheel spoke. They move further away from the caliper as the get closer to the outer part of the rim.

This last one shows where the contact is without the spacer fitted (just below the second S in Nissan). Unfortunately the paint was scraped off during test fitting of the wheels :(

Last edited:
M

Matt_S

Best thing to do is find someone with an R33 GTSt and ask if you can trial fit one of your wheels on his car. :thumbs:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
my mate had one and he sold it a little while ago. :(

Might have to see if I can find someone else.

Reaction score
Country
sorry for digging up old threads,

im looking into R33 turbo brakes for the front as well since they bolt straight on thought they would be a good choice, does the BMC need to be changed if only the front calipers are being upgraded? ive read the how to change the rears to Z32 and then change the BMC but for now just the fronts and put new brake fluid in.
(I have 18" wheels so i dont think anything will rub)

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Ive just fitted some of these to my car today.

They just fit under my 18" wheels, but they do fit.

Not planning on changing the BMC unless I get issues, but you should be fine with the standard one from what Ive read.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
If your car is turbo s15, then r33 non-brembo brakes will fit under your stock 16" rims, and you don't need a BMC upgrade :)