What's new

S15 SR20DET into Spec-S swap?

S

superbike81

Found a ton of good info for an S14 motor into a S15 Spec-S, but haven't seen much about the swap of an actual Spec-R motor being used.

I've come across a good deal on a S15 Spec-R motor with ECU and full harness. Will this be a direct swap install? Or is there more to it?

Thanks!

S

superbike81

what is the "ABS block" ?

Is it the small black box that screws to the ECU?

A

Albert

Albert, where was that you did it... I am just thinking maybe I can use the same place :)

btw I am back in Moscow - do you need the intake pipe still?

I made it at my frend Bosh service (avtozavodskaya)...
No, thx Chris. I found stock one)))

A

Albert

what is the "ABS block" ?

Is it the small black box that screws to the ECU?
yep))

also a good question - about the ABS block - what is the difference from the spec S?
They are different. That's why speedometr doesn't work on white silvia(( If u are going to kill ABS from ur car, u can use speed sensor in ur transmission...

Reaction score
Country
I had some questions about this swap. Is the abs pump from spec R needed or is the abs block something diferent?
And I need the harness from the spec R engine? There are no whires to be changed? The F4 plug is the same from spec s?

Reaction score
You will need the Spec R harness, the ABS block they are talking about is mounted on the right hand side of the firewall, it could be thought of as a pump.

Reaction score
Country
Ah ok I know what you mean, luckliy I already have bought one so it's laying on the shell waiting for the DET swap engine to come.
But further it is exact plug&play? I was thinking about doing this at my work's garage but it is my daily so it has to run after the swap.

Reaction score
Country
You don't need to touch the ABS. Bear in mind though that late models have different modules to the launch ones. The plugs are not compatible and I had to rewire to get over this problem, if you need help with that then shout me.

I don't know why the modules are different but I think it's just different calibration for the speedo output. NA has 4.1 rear end instead of 3.7 in the SpecR.

Reaction score
Country
Ah ok but I thought he got its speedo sensor from the diff? Or is that what you are saying? Because I do have a Spec R diff underneath my car already.

Reaction score
Country
Sorry to bring this up again.

I finally got my hands on a complete spec r swap so I am swapping anytime soon I hope!
just wanted to know what I would need from the spec s engine and wiring? Is there anything I need to change in order to make it work? And could someone send me a photo of thats abs block they have been talking about in this topic?

Reaction score
Country
Will be doing this in a month or so... got everything I need to swap, less this ABS control module...my s15 is an early '99 one...at which module should I be looking at?

Cheers guys

Reaction score
Country
Sorry to bring this up again.

I finally got my hands on a complete spec r swap so I am swapping anytime soon I hope!
just wanted to know what I would need from the spec s engine and wiring? Is there anything I need to change in order to make it work? And could someone send me a photo of thats abs block they have been talking about in this topic?
My understanding is that injectors sub harness, knock sensor and lambda probe are the same, plus all connectors directly plug in from the spec r harness into spec s sensors except:
Afm
Cas
Coils and coils harness
abs module (black thingy on top of the ecu in passenger's footwell)

You'll end up with no boost solenoid, but I don't know if the ecu actually needs it to run properly or you could just use an aftermarket boost controller or something.
This should be all I think?

Reaction score
Country
Is that what my car is missing? My speedo doesn't work also, I also have these wires that have been cut as well and I don't know where they go to.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
You should be able to work it out where all the wiring goes from the wiring diagrams in the service manual (the EL section)

Reaction score
Country
Hey

I finally got my spec R swap fitted into my spec S.
But when I turned the key it wouldn't start. Starter works fine and I got oil pressure.
It turned out that I have no fuel and no spark.
So i wondered if there are any fuses or relays that need to be placed in order to make it work, as it might differ from the spec s?