What's new

S15 SR20DET into Spec-S swap?

Reaction score
Country
Hey

I finally got my spec R swap fitted into my spec S.
But when I turned the key it wouldn't start. Starter works fine and I got oil pressure.
It turned out that I have no fuel and no spark.
So i wondered if there are any fuses or relays that need to be placed in order to make it work, as it might differ from the spec s?
I'm in the process of doing the same swap... :thumbs:

From what you've said it might as well be a couple of worn fuses as ignition and fuel pump are on two different harnesses (as you surely know) so I'd give it a try with replacing fuel pump and ignition fuses

Did you buy and connect the OEM boost solenoid? I'm not sure wether the ECU needs it or not to work properly (i.e. throws a code or runs badly)
Cheers

Reaction score
Country
Aside from the ECU and ECCS wiring harness, there is no other electrical differences. When I did mine I put in a Spec R harness and ECU and that was all, they were quite hard to get hold of though and not cheap.
If I was going to do it again, I would just buy a complete Spec R package with all wiring, ecu, 6 speed, the lot. They tend to go for around 2k.

Reaction score
Country
Hi Damon, I'm at a dead point now because I'm getting injectors tested and cleaned, trying to drill the rocker cover for coilpacks and cover :wack:

I'll have more progress this weekend.

I think your problem might be dued to a malfunction in the coils harness or (I really hope not) in engine harness.

Clarkey, what's this thing about the ECCS harness? It's integrated into the specR engine harness right?

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I am curious about that as well.

What is the eccs? Can you show me a picture of it?
tried to look it up on the internet, but without any luck.

Reaction score
Country
So is the ECCS the black box next to the ecu with the black and white plug?
And is the wiring harness different or that ECCS computer different as well?
I did not get another computer with it aside from the ECU.
I did bought a "complete" swap with 6 speed and everything. So I should be good.
Just wondering why I don't have any fuel or spark when I start it.

Reaction score
Country
When I say ECCS I just mean the engine control and the associated stuff, the loom which runs through the left side of the car. The body loom you don't touch at all. The integrated ignition and ECU relay is part of the loom and bolts to the bulkhead next to the ECU.

As an aside, I had mine run on the dyno yesterday. It's a bit of a frankenstein setup with a 99 spec SpecR stock tune, s14 turbo @1.0bar, FMIC, 3" turbo-back.

Reaction score
Country
Damson, the Black box next to the ecu (with the two plugs) is the abs control module (or abs box whatever they call it).
I think your problem is a broken fuse or something.
Thanks for explanation clarkey :thumbs:
Anyway 80 hp loss in the transmission? I thought 20-40 hp would be normal, but 80?!?! 😵 what happened?

Reaction score
Country
That's just because of how the Maha dyno calculates it, to do with measuring drag over both of the two rollers or something like that. Best thing to do is just accept that the flywheel hp is accurate.

Reaction score
Country
Still at a dead point here, could anyone here confirm it could be the ECCS?
Is the spec s different to the spec r?
does the ECU have to be installed properly on the standard frame that you bolt on to the chassis?
mine is just laying on the floor at the moment..

Reaction score
Country
Still at a dead point here, could anyone here confirm it could be the ECCS?
Is the spec s different to the spec r?
does the ECU have to be installed properly on the standard frame that you bolt on to the chassis?
mine is just laying on the floor at the moment..

If I was you I'd check
1.fuel pump fuse
2.coilpacks
3.coilpacks harness
4. Engine harness relay (the brown one next to the abs and ecu connectors on the in-cabin part of the engine harness)

Reaction score
Country
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I've done a lot of searching and answered most questions, but I did want to ask:

-So obviously the 6-speed receives it's signal from the rear diff for the speedometer. If I have a NA 5-speed, is the car receiving signal from the transmission or diff?

If it's received it from the transmission, I suppose I need a rear diff with the ABS sensor for my speedo to work properly?
I'll also need the 6-speed transmission mount as it's reversed from the standard 5-speed, correct?
Also, I've read that some say that the ABS box in the firewall needs to be swapped out too, for the speedo to function, correct?

I just want everything to function as OEM. Thank you for any help you may provide!

Reaction score
Country
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I've done a lot of searching and answered most questions, but I did want to ask:

-So obviously the 6-speed receives it's signal from the rear diff for the speedometer. If I have a NA 5-speed, is the car receiving signal from the transmission or diff?

If it's received it from the transmission, I suppose I need a rear diff with the ABS sensor for my speedo to work properly?
I'll also need the 6-speed transmission mount as it's reversed from the standard 5-speed, correct?
Also, I've read that some say that the ABS box in the firewall needs to be swapped out too, for the speedo to function, correct?

I just want everything to function as OEM. Thank you for any help you may provide!
The speedo works the same in the 5 speed. Abs computers are different, perhaps different programming for the different axle ratios.

Reaction score
Country
Exactly, abs pump is the same, you would want to swap your abs unit (located on the engine ecu holder behind the passenger's side footwell) for the specR one. Be careful tho, early model's abs unit are different from late model ones

Reaction score
Country
I eventually got it to work.
problem was in a couple of things tho. I can't really recall the exact problems anymore.
I got a friend of me te help and he found that the ecu did not get its power. So solved that.
There were some ground wires loose which I hadn't seen. And the injectors were stuck, so got those cleaned and now it runs perfect!